Taxi Survey

Paul H

Which of the following is most important to you?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why can't he and his typical fellow lazy workers shift their arses, get out of the cosy seat and ring the door bell.

Why can't his typically lazy fare be ready on time and get their asses out the door quicker. He's not being paid while he sits there. I bet they'd be quicker out the door if the meter started running as soon as they pulled up outside your house eh?

You won't believe this... No. 2 on the Draft Code of Conduct states:-

2. Fare meters must not be switched on until passengers are seated in the cab unless the driver has otherwise informed the passenger(s) of the intention to do so.

In my experience it is good practice to jump out of the car and ring the door bell, or where possible, phone/text the customer just before I arrive. Though it is nice when people are ready and waiting. :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they turned up on time not just "5 minutes" then you might wait outside - but waiting in the freezing cold for 20 minutes is not much fun....

If they turned up on time not just "5 minutes" then you might wait outside - but waiting in the freezing cold for 20 minutes is not much fun....

I agree. But the main cause for your taxi being late is usually because the last customer kept him waiting! Worse than being kept waiting for people is the way that you pick someone up who is say going from St. Johns to Douglas and once they are in the car they then decide to mention that they need to pick their friend up at St. Marks and then they have to find a cash machine before they can pay you. Meanwhile the base operator is expecting you to be clear in town twenty minutes earlier than when you actually finish the job. Hence, people kept waiting.

We have tried training our base operators in the art of interrogation. Having failed we are now trying to recruit someone from the reception of a doctors surgery.

:D

Why can't he and his typical fellow lazy workers shift their arses, get out of the cosy seat and ring the door bell.

Why can't his typically lazy fare be ready on time and get their asses out the door quicker. He's not being paid while he sits there. I bet they'd be quicker out the door if the meter started running as soon as they pulled up outside your house eh?

You won't believe this... No. 2 on the Draft Code of Conduct states:-

2. Fare meters must not be switched on until passengers are seated in the cab unless the driver has otherwise informed the passenger(s) of the intention to do so.

In my experience it is good practice to jump out of the car and ring the door bell, or where possible, phone/text the customer just before I arrive. Though it is nice when people are ready and waiting. :)

Okay, so you pull up outside a block of flats in, for example, Demesne Road to pick up a customer. There are six doorbells - none with either a name or number on them (believe it or not, this is quite common). Not only that, but there's a private motorist (or two) stuck behind your car. What are you supposed to do?

Wait for ten or fifteen minutes until your fare turns up - ignoring the threats of extreme violence from the cars behind you?

Go round the block and try again? Fine, but how many times can you do that? Give up and drive away to deal with more considerate customers?

Or do you sound your horn?

Proposed amendment to Draft Code of Conduct:

The driver shall not con thy base operator with such words as "...just dropping off at the Sefton" when they are at the bloody top of Summer Hill...

Such taxi drivers are greedy and selfish and make the base operator's job harder as they're the ones that have to manage the punter's expectations...

Amen.

.just dropping off at the Sefton" when they are at the bloody top of Summer Hill...

.....in Ramsey

Totally agree. I spent three years working as a base operator for a number of Douglas taxi companies before taking to the road and it wouldn't do any of the drivers harm to get some experience working the base themselves.

My favourite one had to be the driver with a stutter. The radio conversation went something like this...

Base. "Base to Two".

Car Two. "GGGG Go A HHead".

Base. "Are you back form the Airport yet?"

Car Two. "YYYY Yes, ccc coming past An an ana an an ang anac... (30 seconds later).. free at Spring Valley!"

Base. "Can you go to the Mount Murray for a pick up?"

By which time he was at Quarterbridge! :rolleyes:

Now driving whilst chatting on your mobile telephone is illegal and drivers answer calls via theirn handsfree it's amazing to see how much they lie to their customers. Example, driving into Douglas from Ramsey, about 5 minutes from Ramsey, driver gets a call from anothr customer in Ramsey and promises to collect them in 10 minutes. Physically impossible. Same thing happens with drivers talking to base.

Greed, it's a terrible thing.

Famous quote from within the taxi industry:-

“The impossible is no problem. However miracles may take longer.”

A solution to the taxi driver’s inability to tell the truth is on its way. No, not a Ford Mondeo with built in lie detector! A device that transmits a cars location using Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) through the cars two way radio each time the radio transmits is now available. The data is received by computer at the taxi base and shows the cars exact location, speed and direction it is travelling in.

The system is not just for keeping an eye on the location of the taxi, it actually does much, much more than this. Biggest problem is that it doesn’t tell lies… About anything! ;)

I have the franchise for selling one of the systems currently available. So far I have sold none. Can’t think why? :huh:

There is another way and much better for the customer. It’s a method that I’ve come across in several countries but not the UK interestingly enough ----

“If we’re not with you within 5 mins call us and the ride is free --- if we’re not with you within 10 mins call us and we’ll pay for another carrier”

It works. The promise time is often slightly longer than the time the taxi gets to your hotel but my life, they’re seldom late.

A solution to the taxi driver’s inability to tell the truth is on its way.  No, not a Ford Mondeo with built in lie detector!  A device that transmits a cars location using Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) through the cars two way radio each time the radio transmits is now available.  The data is received by computer at the taxi base and shows the cars exact location, speed and direction it is travelling in.

The system is not just for keeping an eye on the location of the taxi, it actually does much, much more than this.  Biggest problem is that it doesn’t tell lies… About anything!  ;)

I have the franchise for selling one of the systems currently available.  So far I have sold none.  Can’t think why?  :huh:

I was in a cab in Merseyside last year and it had that system installed. The amount of chat needed between base and car was minimal. Can't remember but does it also send the next pick-up details to a small screen in the car? The cab company also asked for my mobile number and if I wished to be texted when the car was 3 minutes away. Spoke to the driver about it - he thought it was a much better way of working.

With regards to the poll can I say yes to all of those things. I also think that all new taxis should be London Cabs all spray painted Manx Flag red. Phase out all the crappy taxis that are far too small to be any use. And as mentioned by someone else, give those drivers who need it a daily ration of soap with instructions.

Archived