Taxi Survey

Paul H

Which of the following is most important to you?  

93 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But at what cost? Who pasy? Obviously the end user and with a population of only max 75,000 to foot the bill it would add significantly to the present running costs / passanger journey

BTW - Paul - how about an informed breakdown of the costs of keeping a cab on the road? You did say ----!

There's a Taxi driver sat in his car in Falcon Street right now, and he's been beeping his horn for the last ten minutes.

Why can't he and his typical fellow lazy workers shift their arses, get out of the cosy seat and ring the door bell.

This is inconsideration to everyone, not just road users.

You will be happy to learn that on the 11th of Feb this year the Road Transport Licensing Committee issued a Draft Code of Conduct to all taxi operators. No. 1 on the list of do's and don't reads as follows:-

1. A driver shall not sound the horn of the vehicle merely for the purpose of signifying his/her arrival at the address of the hirer.

Of course getting the lazy buggers to do as they are told is a different matter :(

At the risk of repeating a previous post....

In Liverpool most cabs have a machine on the dashboard which will phone you to inform you that the cab is on its way. The cabs here should do that as well. No need to sound the horn...

Also no arguements with people nicking your cab on the prom if you have phoned up for it. The driver also knows he has got the right person in the back. You just show the mobile with the recieved call on it.

The machine in the dashboard is also used to send traffic info from the base to other drivers, tells them the next pickup, etc...

Excellent system and more accurate than the radios they use (dont suffer form interference).

Another reason why they use them is that it stops other cab companies from picking up the fares of other companies. The rival companies cant eavesdrop on the other operators.

The data dispatch system uses a combination of two way radio and GPRS (General Packet Radio System) to send data communications between taxis and the base office. The hardware in the cab consists of a small LCD screen that displays the jobs as they come into the office and are offered to all drivers who are available for work. The office computer offers the job to the nearest car which it determines from the GPS signal sent during its last communication, or by the computers estimated time of arrival at the end of the taxis current job. If for some reason the nearest driver does not accept the job the computer will then offer the job to any available car. The first to respond by pressing the accept button on the touch screen will be allocated the job and the base computer will highlight the car, location and estimated arrival time.

Are you still with me? :huh:

The base operator who took the call will of entered all the details onto the system including any ring back request. This is automated and will either ring a land line twice before hanging up or send a text message to a mobile phone three minutes before the cab is due to arrive.

Once the cab has picked up the passengers an infra red sensor inside the cab automatically starts the taximeter as soon as the cab moves off. Seat sensors automatically add any extras for the number of passengers and because it is time controlled it will always charge at the appropriate rate depending on if it’s before or after midnight/6am or bank holidays. Meanwhile back in the base office the computer has received a signal to say that the cab has picked up and at the end of the journey will receive details of the fare for automated book keeping or so that a credit card or account transaction can take place. Each vehicle is capable of accepting credit/debit or charge cards.

The hardware in the cab has built in hands free GSM telephone equipment and a panic button hidden under the dash board. For security the cab is also equipped with a digital camera. This means that for the safety of the driver and peace of mind of the passengers every time the cab starts or ends a journey a snapshot of the passengers is taken along with time, date and using GPS the exact location. If the driver feels threatened he/she can use the panic button to alert the police of a problem and again the exact location.

Because the system is time controlled a driver can be restricted in the hours he/she works because it won’t work without a drivers personal ID card being inserted. In other words when they exceed a safe number of hours to work the system will automatically stop giving them any work.

Sounds great don’t it! :D

Not if you are taxi driver it seems. The cost of this equipment per vehicle is approx. £1,500 which in it’s self isn’t bad when you consider the economical advantages of reduced dead mileage etc.

The bad part is that in order to set up such a system on the island would cost in the region of £85,000 plus training of staff and maintenance.

At the moment there is a sufficient volume of business and number of taxis to support such a system but they all refuse to work together and prefer to exist in greedy little groups that prefer to ‘compete’ with one another.

I feel that if enough people within the trade could come together to share the work and start operating more efficiently there is plenty of work to go around and everyone could benefit as a result.

But it’s like banging your head against a brick wall… :blink:

@ Paul H

Good, informative post.  As a taxi user i think this system would benefit the public - i live i hope :)

Maybe the Govt will spend millions on a study, then blow their own trumpet when it's installed but find out later that the cost was grossly under-estimated so that taxi fares would increase at 5% above inflation per day. Or maybe not...

I am of the opinion that a Government survey will do little to tell us anything we don't already know. As for the Manx Taxi Federation, they just want to rant about a survey to stop any more licenses being issued in the near future because whatever the recomendations of the survey are, they will object to all future license applications anyway.

I have promised to give you all a break down of some stats concerning taxi operators and hope to post them later today when I get more time. ;)

I am of the opinion that a Government survey will do little to tell us anything we don't already know.  As for the Manx Taxi Federation, they just want to rant about a survey to stop any more licenses being issued in the near future because whatever the recomendations of the survey are, they will object to all future license applications anyway.

I have promised to give you all a break down of some stats concerning taxi operators and hope to post them later today when I get more time.  ;)

The Manx Taxi Federation have declared - clearly and publicly - that they will accept the findings of a genuinely independent survey. If such a survey decided that the island needed another 500 taxis - so be it!

Paul is just terrified that, if the survey happens to reveal that no more are needed, he won't be able spread into the other regions. He has already tried to do that and has the distinction of being one of the few people to have his application turned down by the RTLC!

Taxi Drivers who are more considerate to other road users?

Yes please.

Is there a secret garage on the Island that installs tractor beams in the front bumpers of taxis which lock onto the back of my car and keeps them at 6" away regardless of road/weather conditions and vehicle speed?

Or are all taxi drivers recruited from the NASCAR series and still think they should be drafting the car in front ?

And does the same garage make the speedo read a maximum of 30mph regardless of how much over that they are going ?

And does the same garage remove the indicators ? I bought a s/h indicator bulb from a vehicle breaker once. He told me it was unused as it had come from a taxi.

I could go on...

And does the same garage remove the indicators ? I bought a s/h indicator bulb from a vehicle breaker once. He told me it was unused as it had come from a taxi.

I could go on... 

ha ha ha fantastic :D

• 2 weeks later...
I am of the opinion that a Government survey will do little to tell us anything we don't already know.  As for the Manx Taxi Federation, they just want to rant about a survey to stop any more licenses being issued in the near future because whatever the recomendations of the survey are, they will object to all future license applications anyway.

I have promised to give you all a break down of some stats concerning taxi operators and hope to post them later today when I get more time.   ;)

The Manx Taxi Federation have declared - clearly and publicly - that they will accept the findings of a genuinely independent survey. If such a survey decided that the island needed another 500 taxis - so be it!

Paul is just terrified that, if the survey happens to reveal that no more are needed, he won't be able spread into the other regions. He has already tried to do that and has the distinction of being one of the few people to have his application turned down by the RTLC!

The Manx Taxi Federation has objected to every application for additional numbers of taxis. I have not objected to anyone’s applications for additional numbers of taxis. In fact I will fully support anyone who wishes to apply for a taxi license in the Douglas East district where there is undoubtedly a shortage of taxis at certain times of the day and night.

My application to the RTLC was to enable my taxis to ply for hire in any part of the island. From April 2007 subject to the approval of Tynwald this will apply to all taxis on the Isle of Man anyway and the reason for refusal was because the committee felt it would be wrong to pre-empt a decision to be made by Tynwald.

The Manx Taxi Federation is made up of a small minority of the Taxi Owners in Douglas and do not represent a majority of the trade in Douglas, let alone the rest of the Island. I do not hear anyone else bleating on about a survey, only the Taxi Federation.

For your information, I might have been one of the few with the distinction of having an application turned down by the R.T.L.C. But the Manx Taxi Federation have the unbeatable record of objecting to dozens of applications, stopping very few and never won any of their appeals. They have done sweet FA for the good of the taxi industry or the public who use taxis.

For the record. I am certainly not 'terrified' that a survey might reveal that no more taxis are needed. Finding that could be good as it would ensure that no one else is going to be able to set up in competition with me. But this is the real world where all too often companies are given the opportunity to control the market and become complaisant because fair competition is ruled out through restrictive practice. I am not in favor of restrictive practice.

I am also not 'terrified' enough to keep quiet about the taxis that are rented out illegally in Douglas or the Taxi owners who spend half their lives living it up in Spain while earning a nice tax free income over here. The multiple plate owners who are evading VAT registration or taxi drivers who get licenses without even having a work permit.

Be afraid Manx Taxi Federation, be very afraid. You have had it too good for too long and it's going to change.

Typical running of a Douglas Taxi :ph34r:

Vehicle purchase £9,000 financed over 42 months = £267.00 per month

Insurance cost based on an average taxi is approx. £150.00 per month

Annual road taxi, taxi license, test fees, extinguisher certificate approx. £248.00 or £20.67 per month.

Single driver operation could not unreasonably cover 50,000 miles per year. Assuming they are driving a fairly economical car this uses £5,500 of fuel per year or £458.00 per month.

To cover this mileage you would be looking at four scheduled services at say £200.00 a time plus an annual overhaul prior to test which usually comes up with something else to replace such as headlight lens or windscreen etc. Worn out shock absorbers, springs and damage to body/interior to be taken into consideration too. Therefore, I would put this figure at £1200 per year or £100.00 per month.

Additionally, tyres last approx. 20,000 miles and cost about £50.00 each. So £42.00 per month for tyres.

If the taxi works on a Douglas radio company it will have to pay radio rent. This varies from company to company but an average figure would be £100.00 per week or ££433.00 per month.

Additional expenses could be applied for things like cleaning, mobile phone, insurance excess, breakdown cover etc, etc. But I will leave those out of the equation for now.

The total so far for running a taxi is £1470.67 per month or £17,648.04 per year.

Assuming that the car covers 50,000 miles per year you could expect the actual paid mileage of a cab with a radio company to be about 60%. So only 30,000 miles are paid and the rest are used travelling to and from pick ups.

This is where it gets complicated:-

Of the 30,000 paid miles assuming the driver works late on a Friday and Saturday night it might be fair to say that 25% are paid at premium after midnight rates. So we will start with paid miles on normal rates which account for 22,500 miles.

Tariff 1 – Basic Fares.

For the first 381 meters or the first 80 seconds (or part thereof) is £2.00 and for each subsequent 185.3 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) up to a total distance of 7,978.3m is charged at £0.15 and for each subsequent 157.5 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) up to a total distance of 16,483.3m at £0.15 and each subsequent 222.4 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) at £0.15

O.K, not as simple as it sounds. Especially as the start price of £2.00 includes a standing charge for the first 381 meters before the meter starts adding up. Also as you can see the price increases after the first 8km and then decreases after 16km. This means that for a taxi to maximise it’s takings it should seek to do as many individual runs as possible with a £2.00 start each time and hope to get runs that are over 8km but less than 16km. Hence why taxis are reluctant to take you out of town when it’s busy on the promenade! This is made even more so when you look at the after midnight rate which starts at £3.00 and goes up at £0.15 increments for almost half the distances in tariff 1.

To make it easier on us all let’s assume that a taxi averages £1.60 per paid mile. This is £48,000 per year or £4,000 per month.

Taxi driver gets £2,529.33 after expenses per month or £30,351 per year. This is assuming that the driver owns his own plate which not surprisingly can command a hefty £300.00 per week (just for the plate) from owners who illegally rent them to those who cannot afford one. Plates have been changing hands for up to £50,000 in recent months.

If the taxi owner/driver decides to employ an additional driver the owner can expect to receive 50% of the gross takings after fuel expenses. Hence why many cabs have more than one driver and have a potential turnover in excess of £100,000.00 per year. :blink:

Typical running of a Douglas Taxi  :ph34r:

Vehicle purchase £9,000 financed over 42 months = £267.00 per month

Insurance cost based on an average taxi is approx.  £150.00 per month

Annual road taxi, taxi license, test fees, extinguisher certificate approx.  £248.00 or £20.67 per month.

Single driver operation could not unreasonably cover 50,000 miles per year.  Assuming they are driving a fairly economical car this uses £5,500 of fuel per year or £458.00 per month.

To cover this mileage you would be looking at four scheduled services at say £200.00 a time plus an annual overhaul prior to test which usually comes up with something else to replace such as headlight lens or windscreen etc.  Worn out shock absorbers, springs and damage to body/interior to be taken into consideration too.  Therefore, I would put this figure at £1200 per year or £100.00 per month.

Additionally, tyres last approx. 20,000 miles and cost about £50.00 each.  So £42.00 per month for tyres.

If the taxi works on a Douglas radio company it will have to pay radio rent.  This varies from company to company but an average figure would be £100.00 per week or ££433.00 per month.

Additional expenses could be applied for things like cleaning, mobile phone, insurance excess, breakdown cover etc, etc.  But I will leave those out of the equation for now.

The total so far for running a taxi is £1470.67 per month or £17,648.04 per year.

Assuming that the car covers 50,000 miles per year you could expect the actual paid mileage of a cab with a radio company to be about 60%.  So only 30,000 miles are paid and the rest are used travelling to and from pick ups. 

This is where it gets complicated:-

Of the 30,000 paid miles assuming the driver works late on a Friday and Saturday night it might be fair to say that 25% are paid at premium after midnight rates.  So we will start with paid miles on normal rates which account for 22,500 miles. 

Tariff 1 – Basic Fares.

For the first 381 meters or the first 80 seconds (or part thereof) is £2.00 and for each subsequent 185.3 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) up to a total distance of 7,978.3m is charged at £0.15 and for each subsequent 157.5 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) up to a total distance of 16,483.3m at £0.15 and each subsequent 222.4 meters or 40 seconds (or part thereof) at £0.15

O.K, not as simple as it sounds.  Especially as the start price of £2.00 includes a standing charge for the first 381 meters before the meter starts adding up.  Also as you can see the price increases after the first 8km and then decreases after 16km.  This means that for a taxi to maximise it’s takings it should seek to do as many individual runs as possible with a £2.00 start each time and hope to get runs that are over 8km but less than 16km.  Hence why taxis are reluctant to take you out of town when it’s busy on the promenade!  This is made even more so when you look at the after midnight rate which starts at £3.00 and goes up at £0.15 increments for almost half the distances in tariff 1.

To make it easier on us all let’s assume that a taxi averages £1.60 per paid mile.  This is £48,000 per year or £4,000 per month.

Taxi driver gets £2,529.33 after expenses per month or £30,351 per year.  This is assuming that the driver owns his own plate which not surprisingly can command a hefty £300.00 per week (just for the plate) from owners who illegally rent them to those who cannot afford one.  Plates have been changing hands for up to £50,000 in recent months.

If the taxi owner/driver decides to employ an additional driver the owner can expect to receive 50% of the gross takings after fuel expenses.  Hence why many cabs have more than one driver and have a potential turnover in excess of £100,000.00 per year.  :blink:

Written, of course, by someone who has never owned a 'Douglas' (i.e. East District) taxi!

Firstly, vehicle purchase. Paul H obviously hasn't noticed the dramatic change in vehicles in the East District. £9,000 is the bottom end of the end of the market. The average would probably be around £12-15,000.

Second, I don't know where he buys his fuel but can I please have some? Even with a good, modern 'fairly economical' vehicle, with diesel @ 97p per litre, the cost for his 50,000 miles per year is more like £7,000.

Thirdly, the owner of a single plate has to have a 'reserve' vehicle for the times when the unforeseen happens. This means maintaining a second vehicle in good condition with all the extra costs implied (including insurance, regular servicing road tax, test fees, extinguisher certificate etc.)

Like most out-of-town operators, Paul H grossly over-estimates the earning capacity of East District taxis. He may be able to maximise his opportunities but we are committed to providing a 24/7 service. This means that we have to accept taking a turn at sitting on the rank for very little reward at various times i.e. through the night on weekdays, or on miserable winter afternoons. At times such as these it is very possible to earn far less than what is regarded as a 'minimum wage' in other areas.

It also seems likely that Paul H spent much time in Douglas on Friday nights recently. If he had, he would know that it is like a ghost town, with taxis roaming up and down the Promenade in search of customers like tumbleweeds in an old western movie! (If he doesn't believe me, he can always ask the vehicle inspector!)

Thanks to Saturday nights, single plate owners (the vast majority)are still able to make a reasonable living.

Multiple owners, such as Paul H, probably make a good deal more.

I'm not moaning about my lot. I work hard and make a decent living, which is all I ever expected. Villas in Spain etc are always going to be a long way beyond my means, but as long as I'm able to put food on the table for my family, I'm happy. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy meeting the public (yes, even the ones who are p***** out of their heads on saturday nights).

If Paul H has so much to gripe about, maybe he should get out of the business. I can assure you that he won't be missed by ANYONE in it!

Written, of course, by someone who has never owned a 'Douglas' (i.e. East District) taxi

But I have driven a few and my father owned one, though be it a few years ago.

Paul H obviously hasn't noticed the dramatic change in vehicles in the East District. £9,000 is the bottom end of the end of the market. The average would probably be around £12-15,000.

There are a lot of taxis in Douglas that cost far less than £9,000

Second, I don't know where he buys his fuel but can I please have some? Even with a good, modern 'fairly economical' vehicle, with diesel @ 97p per litre, the cost for his 50,000 miles per year is more like £7,000

40mpg over 50,000 miles = £5,500

Thirdly, the owner of a single plate has to have a 'reserve' vehicle for the times when the unforeseen happens

A single plate is not required to have a reserve vehicle, and if they do choose to have one it is often the families second car.

It also seems likely that Paul H spent much time in Douglas on Friday nights recently. If he had, he would know that it is like a ghost town, with taxis roaming up and down the Promenade in search of customers like tumbleweeds in an old western movie! (If he doesn't believe me, he can always ask the vehicle inspector!)

Granted. Friday nights are not what they used to be. But it is not like a ghost town.

If Paul H has so much to gripe about, maybe he should get out of the business. I can assure you that he won't be missed by ANYONE in it!

Frankly, I don't need to worry about being missed by anyone in the trade. There is only one thing that matters to me and that is looking after my customers. I must be doing rather well at it too if I'm causing so much insecurity among Douglas taxi operators!! Instead of hiding behind surveys and regulations, why not get up of your backsides and look at what the customers requirements are before yours? Then maybe you you could understand where I'm coming from.

Archived