Iran To Execute Woman Convicted Of Adultery.

- Paul -

From the Amnesty International web site

Amnesty’s figures suggest that ten other people – seven women and three men – currently have stoning sentences hanging over them.

Thankfully it’s not widely used: Amnesty has documented only 6 executions by stoning since 2006 and these are mainly in rural backwaters rather than in the capital Tehran. It would be wrong to focus too much on stoning at the expense of other executions: last year 388 people were executed in Iran, often after unfair trials. Only one of them was by stoning. Iran is also the only country that continues to execute child offenders, people who were under 18 at the time of their alleged offence: we are currently campaigning for Mohammed Reza Haddadi, facing imminent execution (by hanging) for a murder that happened when he was just 15 and which he says he did not commit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The UN Declaration on Human Rights applies to all members of the UN.

It is clear that both the US and Iran (and many others) breach articles 6 and 7

Stoning is cruel and unusual, as was birching, as is prolonged stays on death row and a totuous appeal process. I doubt that adultery is a serious crime, nor is theft in China (but the death penalty is used frequently there for minor offences)

The European Convention is even clearer, no death penalty

UN Article 6

Every human being has the inherent right to life. This right shall be protected by law. No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his life.

In countries which have not abolished the death penalty, sentence of death may be imposed only for the most serious crimes in accordance with the law in force at the time of the commission of the crime and not contrary to the provisions of the present Covenant and to the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide. This penalty can only be carried out pursuant to a final judgment rendered by a competent court.

When deprivation of life constitutes the crime of genocide, it is understood that nothing in this article shall authorize any State Party to the present Covenant to derogate in any way from any obligation assumed under the provisions of the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.

Anyone sentenced to death shall have the right to seek pardon or commutation of the sentence. Amnesty, pardon or commutation of the sentence of death may be granted in all cases.

Sentence of death shall not be imposed for crimes committed by persons below eighteen years of age and shall not be carried out on pregnant women.

Nothing in this article shall be invoked to delay or to prevent the abolition of capital punishment by any State Party to the present Covenant.

Article 7

No one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment. In particular, no one shall be subjected without his free consent to medical or scientific experimentation.

EU Art 2 (has to be read in conjunction with protocol 6 which limits limits execution by the stae to times of war only). In effect all of Europe except Belarus has abolished the death penalty, even in time of war (except Latvia) see Wiki article and table http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Europe

Article 2 – Right to life

1. Everyone's right to life shall be protected by law. No one shall be deprived of his life intentionally save in the execution of a sentence of a court following his conviction of a crime for which this penalty is provided by law.

2. Deprivation of life shall not be regarded as inflicted in contravention of this article when it results from the use of force which is no more than absolutely necessary:

a. in defence of any person from unlawful violence;

b. in order to effect a lawful arrest or to prevent the escape of a person lawfully detained;

c. in action lawfully taken for the purpose of quelling a riot or insurrection.

It will never stop. Man's inhumanity to man is all part of the make of the human animal. Has been since the dawn of time and will be until the end of time. Difference is there are now more people in cozy parts of the world saying "Hey this is wrong". Maybe, but trying to stop it is like trying to stop the tide coming in or the sun rising in the morning. Wait for the food and water wars coming soon as a result of over population.

I don't agree with that outlook as it overlooks the reasons why people treat each other badly. Seems like more of a 'shrug of the shoulders'.

In the case of this incident in Iran we are talking about very specific belief systems and the oppression of women resulting in the adulterous women being punished. And then you also have such a primitive opular reaction and reaction from those in power (and wish to retain it) to transgressions of religious social mores that the punishment is a horrific one. These can end with the eradication of a theocratic regime. Moreover, such oppression can be stopped by people coming to their sense and dropping Islam but maybe also with the growing strength of women's civil rights movements (and such like).

such oppression can be stopped by people coming to their sense and dropping Islam

Why just Islam? yes islam is more barbaric at the moment but let us not forget the barbaric past of christianity etc or the fact christianity is more barbaric in it's psychologic oppression.

Christianity was like that 500 years ago. We had people being burnt at the the stake in the British Isles but no more.

Christianity has lost its power and influence over most countries in the west. Islam still has that dreadful power

such oppression can be stopped by people coming to their sense and dropping Islam

Why just Islam? yes islam is more barbaric at the moment but let us not forget the barbaric past of christianity etc or the fact christianity is more barbaric in it's psychologic oppression.

Well we're talking about Islam here.

Stoning has a history of being a trick Muhammad played on the Jews to exact a dire punishment for them which then became a standard Islamic penalty:

Narrated 'Abdullah bin Umar: The Jews brought to the Prophet a man and a woman from among them who had committed illegal sexual intercourse. The Prophet said to them, "How do you usually punish the one amongst you who has committed illegal sexual intercourse?" They replied, "We blacken their faces with coal and beat them," He said, "Don't you find the order of Ar-Rajm (i.e. stoning to death) in the Torah?" They replied, "We do not find anything in it." 'Abdullah bin Salam (after hearing this conversation) said to them. "You have told a lie! Bring here the Torah and recite it if you are truthful." (So the Jews brought the Torah). And the religious teacher who was teaching it to them, put his hand over the Verse of Ar-Rajm and started reading what was written above and below the place hidden with his hand, but he did not read the Verse of Ar-Rajm. 'Abdullah bin Salam removed his (i.e. the teacher's) hand from the Verse of Ar-Rajm and said, "What is this?" So when the Jews saw that Verse, they said, "This is the Verse of Ar-Rajm." So the Prophet ordered the two adulterers to be stoned to death,

Does this mean that they didn't see the Verse of Ar-Rajm or accept that it even existed although when asked what it was (after the hand had been removed) they said that it was the Verse of Ar-Rajm then they had therefore recognised what it was and accepted that it was in fact the Verse of Ar-Rajm. By that I mean, did they deny that the verse existed until they said what it was when they were asked and that was the trick?

No I mean persons who have certified mental illness or severe learning and social difficulties before they had even been charged and had been let down by society that does not give adequate health care to its poor. Please don't tell me you are so blinded by the USA bullshit that you ignore the fact the are one of the biggest violators of human rights and executers of people outside of China.

But the execution of criminals and the lack of social support for the sick, however barbaric it is, does not quite stand as barbaric as killing someone simply because they have engaged in sexual (or not) contact with another person. It's all the more worse when such actions are the result of barbaric and childish religious beliefs.

I agree, but the point I was making is that the likes of the USA and Israel seem to be ignored by the press when it comes to reporting the violations of human rights and murder of innocents and to some extent the same happens with China a lot of the time and I would say they are even worse than Iran for executions for trivial offences but at the moment the west need their goods etc, I would also say there are some other countries around the world equally as barbaric but they fail to get the same publicity because they are not public enemy number one for the USA and UK at the moment. In my view we should be exposing all incidents such as this not just selective political ones.

How many women has the US stoned to death for alleged adultery lately?

No I mean persons who have certified mental illness or severe learning and social difficulties before they had even been charged and had been let down by society that does not give adequate health care to its poor. Please don't tell me you are so blinded by the USA bullshit that you ignore the fact the are one of the biggest violators of human rights and executers of people outside of China.

But the execution of criminals and the lack of social support for the sick, however barbaric it is, does not quite stand as barbaric as killing someone simply because they have engaged in sexual (or not) contact with another person. It's all the more worse when such actions are the result of barbaric and childish religious beliefs.

I agree, but the point I was making is that the likes of the USA and Israel seem to be ignored by the press when it comes to reporting the violations of human rights and murder of innocents and to some extent the same happens with China a lot of the time and I would say they are even worse than Iran for executions for trivial offences but at the moment the west need their goods etc, I would also say there are some other countries around the world equally as barbaric but they fail to get the same publicity because they are not public enemy number one for the USA and UK at the moment. In my view we should be exposing all incidents such as this not just selective political ones.

How many mentally ill Black men has Iran electrocuted on flimsy evidence lately?

Or how many villages full of Palastinian or Lebonese children has Iran bombed just because some adults fire a rocket lately?

US does not stone same as Iran do not electrocute, you need to look the injustice not the method.

How many mentally ill Black men has Iran electrocuted on flimsy evidence lately?

Or how many villages full of Palastinian or Lebonese children has Iran bombed just because some adults fire a rocket lately?

US does not stone same as Iran do not electrocute, you need to look the injustice not the method.

Israel does not bomb children.

On the contrary it is the Hamas government that uses it own people as Human Shields while it sends rockets at soft targets ie schools in southern Israel.

Meanwhile Israel continues to treat the very same people who wish to destroy it in their hospitals

These are the words of Colonel Richard Kemp former British commander in Afghanistan

“I think – I would say that from my knowledge of the IDF and from the extent to which I have been following the current operation, I don’t think there has ever been a time in the history of warfare when any army has made more efforts to reduce civilian casualties and deaths of innocent people than the IDF is doing today in Gaza.'

BTW Arab women in Israel have more human Rights that is exactly the same as anyone else that anywhere in the Middle East.

Still doesn't alter the fact that the west is equal in it's barbaric methods, oh thanks for informing me "Israel does not bomb children." it,s about time someone desgined a shell that avoided anyone under the age of 16.

I don't see how you think it is equal. How have you made or how do you see this balance, in details.

It is important to make a distinction though between how the liberal democracies societies are ran and how the government's behaves towards those it controls. However, you can see something very different in how these same countries treat people from outside their own country.

Archived