Gig Heaven

I'm posting this for all you IOM musicians and bands, singers and duos who have ever considered playing your music "off-Island" (just for a change). Tip of the day....don't go East ........go West!

Brown Sugar have been touring up & down the West coast of Ireland since the end of June, between Galway & Donegal and it is "gig heaven" over here. Most towns and even small villages have live music on every weekend and many have music nightly. Take a little place like Keel, on the beautiful island of Achill, there is a band on every single night of the week at the Minaun View Pub.

One gig we played, at "The West" in Westport, Co. Mayo led to two extra bookings, one at the West & one up the road at "Rocky's Bar" in Castlebar. Landlords and pub owners are very muso friendly, same with bar staff. One owner offered to bollard the front of his pub so we could get parked and offload our gear!

We have been playing a mix of popular covers and our own songs to appreciative audiences and have not had a single "off night". The atmosphere in pubs we've played could be loosely described as a cross between Jaks & The Creek Inn, so......er.... very lively. We have another gig in Mayo, three in Donegal, & one in Co. Down then back home. It's been a brilliant experience and plans are already afoot for a return trip in 2011.

Oh and the Guinness does taste better in Ireland, it must be in the water......................

Cheers!

www.brownsugaronline.co.uk

Sad to say but I've been in all three of those pubs in my younger days.

>>Oh and the Guinness does taste better in Ireland, it must be in the water

Nothing to do with the water and everything to do with the air. It's pumped with a mixture of CO2 and Nitrogen and not just CO2. Makes the head creamier and other scientific stuff. 70/30 mixture if I recall.

Draft Guinness over here has always used the CO2 and nitrogen mix. I always thought the difference was that Irish Guinness wasn't pasturized. But the main difference is probably that the Guiness we get here is probably brewed in the UK and the differences that introduces.

The main reason I guess is that in Ireland lots of people drink guinness which means a high turn over and fresher beers. I like Guinness but I rarely drink it because the pubs over here don't sell enough of it to keep it fresh. It always tastes very sour to me compared to when you drink it in a busy pub that sells a lot of it.

I'm also pretty sure that the nitrogen gassed beers give me a worse hangover, I can drink cask conditioned Okells all night and be fine the next day but if I have more than four pints of the draft Okells I feel rough the next day.

Draft Guinness over here has always used the CO2 and nitrogen mix. I always thought the difference was that Irish Guinness wasn't pasturized. But the main difference is probably that the Guiness we get here is probably brewed in the UK and the differences that introduces.

The main reason I guess is that in Ireland lots of people drink guinness which means a high turn over and fresher beers. I like Guinness but I rarely drink it because the pubs over here don't sell enough of it to keep it fresh. It always tastes very sour to me compared to when you drink it in a busy pub that sells a lot of it.

I'm also pretty sure that the nitrogen gassed beers give me a worse hangover, I can drink cask conditioned Okells all night and be fine the next day but if I have more than four pints of the draft Okells I feel rough the next day.

Do you know what the mixture is over here by chance? In Ireland there's Guinness reps visiting the pubs all the time checking the quality (well they used to 15 years ago). Personally I prefer Murphys.

Glad its going well, sounds ace, are you making the 'road movie' ?

Enjoy the rest of your tour :)

Cheers for that!! It's already a memorable trip, living & travelling in a camper, driving for hours on the bumpiest roads this side of Albania to gigs. Pubs that also sell groceries, stamps and petrol and only Cheese and Onion crisps! The rain drops are bigger than marbles and fall during moments of sunshine??? (And they always fall when you have to drag gear into pubs.) We have one more night in Dungloe, Donegal then a short drive (I mean "bounce") around the coast road to Burtonport for a gig at their annual festival. Oh and I nearly forgot to add that Sheep rule the roads here....

Archived