Isle Of Man The Kipper Capital Of The World?

theman

We come over to the Island every year, for the last 32 years, and always buy kippers from Devereau and also send them home to family back in England. Never tasted kippers as IOM kippers.

I like mine from Moores. I also love their smoked bacon - but it is an acquired taste if you are not into heavy smoking. Great in dishes that require smoked bacon.

Off Island I have had Fortunes Kippers from Whitby. They were delicious too - when I had them they were just served smoked but not cooked. Has anyone tried this with our kippers?

:) :) :) :)

Manx Kippers in reality do not exist! There have been no Manx,Irish or scottish boats landing Fresh caught herring into our island for quite a while now ,so it makes me wonder how we're all expected to survive on "Spuds'n'Herrin! when we have no herring quota and the Farmers are being paid not to farm?

As far as I'm aware all Kippers labelled as manx are now actually imported deep frozen from Norway,the reason being that they are all roughly the same size and fat content .

It's a bit of a shame really!

I can't see how a fish that has been frozen can taste as good as one that has been taken directly from the sea to the Kipper yards. :(

so where in douglas can i buy a cooked kipper bap yessir?

they sell them down peel .

i'm feed up with all the inbreed manx pork & cheep inported meat on my bap's

SHOW ME THE KIPPER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly I can't think of anywhere and I live in Douglas - maybe Harry's Cafe at the Market? I have got a kipper bap a couple of times in Peel from the lovely cafe in the Street and it was amazing. This is obviously a massive gap in the market and I can't see many of the current crop of Coffee Houses in Strand Street obliging. Not to put them down in any way though, I often enjoy a coffee of a Saturday/Sunday. I would definitely enjoy a kipper bap as a regular treat though, rather than just the occasions I am in Peel.

Having just seen this web article about Sherlock maybe they could do a TV series that uses the kiosk on Peel Quay as its centre-piece...maybe "Ashes to Ashes". I could imagine DCI Gene Hunt getting into his Audi munching on a kipper bap!

Archived