Nobody Listens To Manx Radio Anymore

parchedpeas

I found the article in the Independent, giving the rationale behind Energy 2 and found it very interesting because it appears to be aimed at my age group. Yes, I would enjoy listening to a station that played more 60s, 70s and 80s music, but I wouldn't want one that played them exclusively- there's plenty of more recent music that I enjoy as well. And, like most people in my age group, I think, I also need news (local and international) and current affairs as part of my 'entertainment diet.'

I wish them success with it, but if it turns out to be exclusively music then I'm afraid they may find themselves losing their target audience to some of the programmes on Manx Radio.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trouble is, one man's meat...etc.

What I call decent would probably not suit everyone.

That's why Walkmen and Ipods were invented surely.

Radio - especially local radio - should be more than someone's personal jukebox surely? I really don't give a horse's ass what the DJ had for breakfast, or what he thinks about anything...I'd rather just have the music OR quality news/current affairs speech.

And there's plenty of choice in both.

Trouble is, one man's meat...etc.

What I call decent would probably not suit everyone.

Indeed, which is why there shouldn't be overlaps, all three are playing mainstream pap all the time to fight for the same listeners.

That's why Walkmen and Ipods were invented surely.

I use an ipod all the time, but I'd still like a descent local radio station. If we all just used ipods you'd never hear new music before you'd bought it and I don't mind the babble of a (good) dj although the smug 'lovely day isn't it, now the next song...' crap you get on 3fm's a complete waste of space.

Radio - especially local radio - should be more than someone's personal jukebox surely? I really don't give a horse's ass what the DJ had for breakfast, or what he thinks about anything...I'd rather just have the music OR quality news/current affairs speech.

And there's plenty of choice in both.

Agree with the first part, not with the second, don't think there's plenty of choice when they're virtually indistinguishable.

Manx Radio let the cat out of the bag about the Isle of Man hosting the Commonwealth Youth Games. The story was embargoed until Monday morning, but a certain maverick news guy up on the hill let out the good news on Sunday morning.

Other media were not impressed. He seemed not to be bothered.

I honestly believe that Manx Radio, with the govt funding, should only be about news, current (local) affairs and Manx language, the arts, and culture. I believe that it should provide nothing else. But it should be brilliant, clever and hard at doing what it does. It should be looking to employ people who are really good at doing radio and can ask tough questions over and over. And if they can't get an answer then they will be making a story out of not being able to ever get a straight answer. And shaming, in repeated repeats, the people who refuse to answer diffiicult questions.

That might mean it not being 24 hours - or repeating the output to maintain 24 hours.

I don't see any good reason for govt funded radio (and the poor website) to compete with the entirely commercial stations. I don't see any reason for govt funding of a station which plays Spandau Ballet lp tracks or conducts soft interviews etc using tax money. The stations which play MOR music should not have to compete with a govt funded station.

If Manx Radio continues to compete for a (not Manx - ) music audience - then I think that the govt funding should be up for tender. I don't see any reason for the govt money to go to Manx Radio automatically. I don't ever listen to Energy or 3FM. I'm not interested in that sort of local radio. Mark and Lard always called it 'Tin Pot' local radio. But others are, I know, willing to listen to that.. Other people like the 2 other Manx stations which aren't tax funded. If those stations can make their output pay commerciallly, then good luck to them. They shouldn't have to compete with a tax sponsored b - side radio station.

Manx Radio (if funded by the govt) should be about the IOM. Nothing else. Not dodgy music from the 80s/ 70s / 60s.

The govt money should only be spent on output which isn't commercial but which is important for the Manx culture. Not 80's b sides. That means, only news, news, news, news, hard - news, arts and culture.

I'd be happy with a Manx Radio which had far fewer staff and less hours but harder output. I think that the website should be much better. Lots of stuff about the website could be improved at no extra cost. Like, say, the date stamping of articles. So that 'today' makes sense 2 days later. And checking the spelling and grammar. Checking the quality of the writing.. And repeating stuff in full transcripts with analysis and related links. Rather than relying on dodgy audio links. As if the audio links explained themselves without analysis.

Because it isn't just about actual radio anymore. It's about providing a good news and current affairs service for people who have given up listening to Manx Radio (for now) because they can't stand the 'Smashie and Nicey' style of presenting. Or the sort of inept mid morning presenter who struggles to make a sensible point and twists and turns over his words (like some sub Simon Bates character). Given that there are no independent newspapers or other media outlets on the IOM.

I also believe that people would actually listen to a station which actually provided much tougher news reporting. And a station which was prepared to be controversial and difficult about local news. Such that no local politican could risk not talking sense on Manx Radio. Most Manx people are quite cynical about government. As winessed by this forum. Lets have a radio station which reflects this.

PS - and there is zero point in maintaining a, so called, business correspondent (/ former 80s deejay but not a scatch on anyone at the BBC) who provides international business news since nobody who cares about movements of the FTSE 100 or the markets is using Manx Radio as a source of reliable business news. Especially when said correspondent so frequently gets his words wrong or is, so often, mis - naming companies and cannot write or read a script. There is zero point in reporting share prices on Manx Radio since anyone who cares about share prices or currencies etc will already be using other sources for that information. Nobody gets their international business news from Manx Radio. So why do they even bother to report that? What, even, is their thinking behind reporting shares and currencies news? Nobody serious gets their financial news from Manx Radio.

agree 100% with all of the above. Think they're spread too thinly and should be focussing on their strengths. I had to laugh at your comments about the financial reports on TPL Radio...I was joking with some mates only the other day about this very subject, ripping the back out of the saps who pay for it and actually use it? I mean..

Station announcer: Welcome to Radio Simon. On today's programme, our very expensive investigative journalist will ask hard-hitting questions of the Minister:

Jeremy: So Minister - is it true you're a Mason?

Minister: No comment

Jeremy: But that simply won't DO! Are you or are you not a Mason?

Jeremy: You were seen with your trouser leg rolled up on Woodbourne Road!

Jeremy: So you ARE a Mason aren't you?

Jeremy: I refuse to allow you off the hook Minister. Are you saying you're NOT involved in the Freemason's movement?

Jeremy: What about the backhanders allegation?

Jeremy: Or that you got your cousin a job within Government?

Jeremy: Thank you for nothing...

Minister: No comment. But here's a timetable for the Steam Packet!

Station Announcer: Well, that's it for today's broadcast. We don't have any advertisers, so we can't afford to do much else. We would have reported on more local issues, but Jeremy took all our budget. Which comes in the form of a Government grant. Which was strangely slashed this year to pay the electricity bill...

However, Simon himself will be here later with Hard News - mainly because he's the one who told us all that there are plenty of radio people who would be prepared to work for nothing to make their names. Silly Simon - he was the only volunteer! Trouble is, nobody in Government will talk to him any more. So it'll be a short show, and with no music of course...

Can't wait to hear Radio Simon - boy will HE show them how it should be done!

Archived