Nobody Listens To Manx Radio Anymore

parchedpeas

I'm one of the lucky ones - my radio alarm is set for just before 7:30 am which means that I get a couple of minutes of irritating noise to wake me up before listening to the news and Mandate.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like other listeners I try to just turn on at 7.30 but today I got a bit of the last record before the news.

From my disco days I believe it was "Ride on time" by Blackbox. Even by todays standards I think this was totally the wrong record to play at that time of the morning and specally just before Mandate. What audience are they wanting to attract?

If they want to play disco can't they do it after the two programmes seperate.

PS to Stu. Do you have to say each morning at 7.30 that you're listening to Manx Radio broadcasting on ........etc. Surely we know that already as we can hear you!

It gets a bit boring to hear the same introduction everyday.

I agree that the music choice leading into (and following) Mandate feels frequently at odds to the more serious part of the morning programmes.

PS to Stu. Do you have to say each morning at 7.30 that you're listening to Manx Radio broadcasting on ........etc. Surely we know that already as we can hear you!

Nit picking.

Perhaps you'd prefer something in the mould of Cronauer (Robin Williams); something like:

Goo oo ood morning Isle of Man!!

Perhaps you'd prefer something in the mould of Cronauer (Robin Williams); something like:

Goo oo ood morning Isle of Man!!

Or GOOD MORNING This is the BBC WORLD SERVICE, The IOM Government has just declared War on THE TAXPAYERS

Or GOOD MORNING This is the BBC WORLD SERVICE, The IOM Government has just declared War on THE TAXPAYERS

Anything except for the juvenile presenters we have at the moment would suit me. Seems that they forget there are listeners with IQ's over 100.

All presenters who talk over or play jingles during records should be forced to listen to MR's breakfast show 24 x 7 until they repent.

Yes Sam, I do. It's a BIT like a pole-vaulter's run up. If I stumble over those standard opening words, I know the rest of the show is going to be a complete nightmare of presenter incompetence.

Actually, I think it's important to have a regular opening to a programme. Where would The Archers be without a sig tune. Or Corrie? Not everyone has an RDS radio and might like the confirmation that they're actually tuned to Mandate...and if they're in a car, what the other frequencies are.

Thanks for all the promises of calls NEXT Saturday - I'll look forward to them. Survivor - something smutty and suggestive, but not indecent I think!

Lots of people can't stand that fat bloke who presents Radio One's breakfast show either (me included) - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

I listen to Manx Radio every morning, laugh at the presenters (most of the time) and catch up with the news. Only things that annoy me are the adverts (can't be helped) and the stocks and share news (probably an advert too really) - like anyone gets that kind of data from MR!

christ, am I glad *I* don't have to defend my every move within my job on a local internet forum...

Seems that they forget there are listeners with IQ's over 100.

By the nature of IQ, at least half the listeners will have one that is under 100.

Stu - where did Roy McMillan go, and why?

Was it connected with the fact that The News Headlines seems to have disappeared?

Or is that a conspiracy theory too far?

By the nature of IQ, at least half the listeners will have one that is under 100.

The breakfast show's target audience no doubt :angry: .

I'm in luck - I actually live one hour ahead of the IOM so by 06:30 Manx time I'm off out for coffee and miss most of the rambling.

Thanks for all the promises of calls NEXT Saturday - I'll look forward to them. Survivor - something smutty and suggestive, but not indecent I think!

Smutty and suggestive, hmmmm let me think - i have a few days, i'll see what I can do. I hope others will go on - to get me "going" so to speak ;)

Indecent - i'd be too embarrassed!!

Lots of people can't stand that fat bloke who presents Radio One's breakfast show either (me included) - you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Chris Moyles?? Dear god I love him - i find him hysterical. I listen to him at work and break out laughing to a very quiet office - and people can't see my ear piece and think i'm a twit - or do they just think that anyway? :P Yup, think they do!

Yes Sam, I do. It's a BIT like a pole-vaulter's run up. If I stumble over those standard opening words, I know the rest of the show is going to be a complete nightmare of presenter incompetence.

How about themed Mandate programs at lunchtime like Jimmy Young used to do on Radio 2?

Get the moaners moaning about the important things like the health service, schools, youth, b****y tourists (or lack thereof) and the greedy come-overs expecting to get the full Manx pension.

Even just once or twice a week - it would be better than having to play the same stories a few zillion times each day.

According to BRC Research/NOP Media Summer 2003 RAJAR research, Manx Radio has the highest audience of any British radio station - and this statistic is regularly achieved by the station.  The station regularly researches the listening habits of the islanders, for audience feedback and to aid the sale of airtime.  Figures showed that 85% of the adults over 15 listen each week, this peak of around 7-8am, with a further peak of around 20% around 5pm.  Over 80% has been achieved constantly since 1981.  The nearest station to them in terms of percentage of listeners according to 2003 research is BBC Radio 1 (35%), BBC Radio 2 & Energy FM (33%).

How can Manx Radio get over 80% of listeners and Energy get 33%?

Lets do our own manxforums poll, here we go!

Stu - where did Roy McMillan go, and why?

Was it connected with the fact that The News Headlines seems to have disappeared?

Or is that a conspiracy theory too far?

He just vanished! One day he was doing Opus, the next he was being pushed into the back of a secret Government van by blokes in aprons with their trouser legs rolled up!

Roy decided (and announced on air) that he'd made the decision to move back to the South of England to be nearer his family and that horrible London place. He is a wonderful bloke, a natural broadcaster and I'm sure he'll be a huge success at whatever he does. The very last record he played was "Still haven't found what I'm looking for", which says it all.

As far as I know 'The Headlines' will be back in due course.

How about themed Mandate programs at lunchtime like Jimmy Young used to do on Radio 2?

Get the moaners moaning about the important things like the health service, schools, youth, b****y tourists (or lack thereof) and the greedy come-overs expecting to get the full Manx pension.

Even just once or twice a week - it would be better than having to play the same stories a few zillion times each day.

We have programmes already that follow that kind of format - but I'd reiterate that anything involving callers is much more difficult here than across. Only a tiny proportion of people can be bothered to take part in radio debates, so we'd quickly end up with the same old people banging the same old drum. In the UK their catchment areas provide a far greater depth of input.

Whilst there are some people who listen to every single 'edition' of Mandate (AM, Midday and PM), we work on the basis that it's mostly a different set of listeners - so if we have strong items on the morning show, we'll repeat them at lunchtime. By the evening show, we'll often have a response piece. Some days, the lunchtime and evening shows feature entirely new material - it really depends on how much news there is that day!

Again, we do welcome feedback and are always happy to answer questions at the station, but this really isn't the place to do that. You don't see the other stations or the papers explaining their editorial policies here, and that's probably for good reason.

As it says at the bottom, I don't post officially on behalf of the station (OK, I'm just a multimedia whore) so it's not really fair to ask Chris or I questions in public - but email us at the station and we'll always get back to you.

I'm off now to find a hacker to write some poll-fixing software...[/responding]

Archived