Nobody Listens To Manx Radio Anymore

parchedpeas

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The funding (or not) does not appear to be his (huge) gripe with the administration of Manx Radio, S.F.

But we can chat about the funding ... I'm sure you don't have an underlying agenda :-)

...And it's also pure coincidence that the gripe came just after some 6 or 7 posters awarded cautious approval to some of the current programmes!

We can't have that though - it goes against the tradition of Manx forums.

Next we'll be praising Manx journalists for their investigative skills and impartiality, waxing lyrical about the huge amounts for young people to do and praising the Steampacket for the competitive prices.

• 2 weeks later...

I just walked into a shop and the station playing in the shop had identical News to Manx Radio's, which I had just heard on the car radio.

Except, and this is a big except, the News slot didn't have an irritating and loud jingle like Manx Radio.

I suggest that Manx Radio, the next time they have a meeting with everyone present, ask "does anyone like this jingle". The one(s) that put their hand up should be turfed outa the window there and then. Full stop.

Just how much more pretentious, annoying and irritating can a blaring jingle be. Not much.

Me, I'm off to redial to one of the other Isle of Man FM's.

(Although I might just tune in to the Saturday Rock show, that's if I'm not out down the pub being cantankerous)

So, to sum up, you don't like their jingle...and another station that isn't MR doesn't have the jingle. Earth shattering stuff.

The rock show was ace on Saturday, both Dan & Stu are doing a great job there, best show they've got.

Not really earth shattering stuff, no. Not really.

But it is extremely imposing when you hear the same jingle - which is louder than the surrounding music - 3 or 4 times a news reading. Times that by a half dozen times or so a day and it grinds.

Maybe you are the secret lover of the Manx Radio jingle composer Alex, and I have hit a nerve with this earth shattering observation.

I've just listened to it again though.

I think it has a secret message in it, you know, the resonant frequencies and harmonics and all that. The message is telling me . . . . is telling me . . . . ah, not to listen to Manx Radio anymore and listen to 3fm. Energy FM. Anything.

Maybe the jingle composer is a plant, working for the other side. I'm not sure anymore.

At last, I'm not alone!

I have made a detailed study of the Manx Radio main jingle and through careful spectral analysis of the underlying sub-harmonics to the four note fanfare, have detected a subliminal message in reverse.

Of course, these meeja-types are clever, so it's also 128-bit encrypted, but I've run it through the Atari processor farm in the back bedroom and finally obtained a plain text output:

s3nd m0n3y 0r the d0g d1es

Glumble, you have misinterpreted the sublimal.

No matter how you dress the jingle up, it is a 4 syllable message. End of.

The message is more on the lines of

pl4y C0nNi3 Franc 1s

Sad to report that I’ve just heard the strangest hour of Manx Radio for a long time. Almost up there with that cruise show special from the Villa Marina gardens last year.

I love quiz shows so was looking forward to the new sports quiz broadcast from the Outback pub tonight, Monday.

From the word go it was a mess. The usually competent Chris Kinley had not done his homework, as soon as he started you got the impression that he had just been dragged off the street to present the show. He didn’t quite know how the quiz was going to work and he didn’t even know the names of the contestants, or how to pronounce their names!

As the show continued it went downhill - fast, and he kept blaming everyone involved, except himself.

Certainly the whole MR team need to do some work on the show before next week. I’m sure they had a good time, but I could not hear most of it due to feedback and mics that where not turned on. The scoring was strange as well.

I guess Chris K knew it hadn’t been a total success because at the very end of the show he said “that was a badly produced by Chris Willams”! Bet that went down well!

Archived