Nobody Listens To Manx Radio Anymore

parchedpeas

but how long before someone devises a way to licence internet broadcasters ?.

I guess Government departments have been wringing their hands for ages on how to regulate and restrict these types of operations and collect fees from those who sidestep the conventional methods of broadcasting.

TF

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Something like this run by volunteers, interested in the local community, I think could run local adverts at a cheaper rate than the TV/Radio and have a better target audience  (have a bunch of links for local content rather than it being forced down our necks, irrespective of us being interested in that particular advertising/product - or not).

As an advertiser i would rather put adverts on a medium that is reached by the majority, I don't have internet at work or in my car. Breakfast and drive shows are the peak times for listeners and this is when people are in there car... no internet radio there. I wouldn't advertise on an internet radio station if it offered local content via links. that gives the people the opportunity to opt out of adverts, so why from my point of view bother advertising.

There's also the issue of PRS, a lot of internet radio stations are running ilegally, there's nothing to say on any of the recent internet radio stations i've seen or heard to say they operate with a music license. so why would i want to advertise if i'm not given this guarantee.

I can't think that I've ever been positively influenced by any local TV or radio advertising.

Sometimes the local stuff is even slightly off - putting. EG - " nice people to do business with " - always sounds mildly threatening to me. Like they might just as easily break your legs if the deal turns sour.

And there's a finance company which has had a jaunty song written about it. That seems just so daft. Ditto telephone numbers set to music.

When ever I hear one of those sung adverts - well I always picture '4 Poofs & A Piano' from the Jonathan Ross TV show. It's not a good image.

:)

I've read recently that many US TV stations have been restructuring their channels and programming reducing the advert density because it's putting off viewers.

If you've ever experienced US TV, you can spend an hour and a half time, watching a show that's only an hour long, getting really cheesed off with 6 of the same adverts repeated during the show - that if anything is enough to totally put you off the product the ads are trying to sell. (In your face ads are a complete turn off!)

The Beeb offers a fantastic online "radio" service - you can listen to many programmes up to a week after they've been broadcast - without having to endure annoying adverts.

DD - When I'm driving, I normally listen to CD's, Radio 4 or Manx Radio for local news (Manx Radio goes off when the adverts come on) so your philosophy of "forced adverts" doesn't work for me. (I'm not saying it doesn't work with other people).

- I can accept the "tag-line" type advert - ie this programme has been sponsored by "company X" who provide "service Y" - I don't think the public want or need any more than this (unless they choose to).

I would rather "opt-in" for adverts rather than having them thrown down my throat irrespective of whether I like them or not.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels like this either.

Ad's in newspapers aren't so bad because you can choose to ignore them.

On a place the size of the IOM, it's probably pretty pointless advertising outside of the Yellow Pages anyway - most company contracts are gained by knowing the right person to speak to and/or word of mouth - we're a small enough nation to practically all know each other and spread the word about local products/companies ourselves so if you provide a decent service - it's pointless wasting money on advertising. (Unless you've just started business and are tyring to get a market foothold).

I also don't think it will be too far away in the future where we do have internet access in our cars - it's quite easily possible now.

Cars in the not too distant future will probably have an embedded sat navigation system, MP3 playback capability and streaming net access - when this happens, conventional radio may be dead. (Have a stream for news - local MP3 playback for your music, or streamed from a "net" station that plays music you like).

"Choice" is now becoming more under control of the listener / viewer than the bradcaster.

Advertisers need to become aware of this.

The latest trend in advertising seems to be the "virus" ad - ie humorous ads sent to friends/colleagues via email (Ford KA, Nokia phone ads etc) - we all like a good laugh - even though it may not make us go out and buy the product - it does give us an awareness of it, and we also still have the choice of whether we wish to see it or not.

I appreciate that local stations do need ad sales to keep them going, but at the same time, the ads are turning many people away from them.

In the same vein - I'm really happy with the Beeb receiving a license fee and not having to interrupt my day with unwanted advertising.

- I also think that internet music broadcasters should have a PRS license (I beleive many on the Shoutcast network do)- that seems fair, so that the artists can get some revenue on their work being played.

Edited to add:-

An advertiser probably wouldn't care if the medium to broadcast the ads was PRS licensed or not, they would be more interested in listening/viewing figures - and from net broadcasts/links you can get an exact figure on this - you can't get anything like this from conventional listener/viewer surveys!

You have all got to listen to Manx in the morning, my husband and I had Stu Peters up the house this morning about our neighbours and he is doing the piece tomorrow morning so listen out.

I am another Moaning Line supporter and have missed it greatly.

Radio 1 - I also can not stand Chris Moyle and comedy Dave (who ever thought his name up was joking) the guy has a real whinney voice I just want to slap him. Bring back Zoe.

• 2 weeks later...

BBC Website

Five local television news pilots will be launched in the West Midlands as the first stage in a plan to establish a network of 60 local TV services, each providing daily 10-minute news bulletins.

Surely the Broadcasting commission needs to make sure the Island gets one of these on the licence fee

• 2 months later...

Saturday Morning Oldies Show

Why is Andy Wint running competitions on his show, when it is recorded? (Just look at the live webcam picture, you will see and young guy looking after the min disc)

Even stranger he announces a winner of said compeition later in the programme!

Why are Manx Radio getting us to waste money on texting the studio when clearly the whole thing is made up.

Is it even legal to make up competition winners?

I always wondered about the Saturday morning show with Andy Wint and thought it sounded recorded despite the "competition" (text, fax, email only)

I think they usually turn the webcam off but forgot today!

Andy once seemed to be on Manx Radio all the time but now hardly at all apart from er, Saturday morning.

Anyone know where Andy is and what he's up to these days?

Picture showing a rather less enthusiastic if not more youthul Andy Wint this morning:

post-233-1120310424_thumb.jpg

that's really pee'd me off about the 60's soundtrack, that's their best show! I thought it was live; I'm with matty about the technology; if an advertiser cannot see the potential for customer outreach via new media then they'll simply give up ground to their more creative competitors. If you believe that a jingle is still the best method of getting the message across then you'll waste an awful lot of money on advertising.

Want to know if anyone has this experience; I listen mainly to R1, always have but when energy came out, I liked the dance tracks, newer stuff and so on. What I tend to do when driving round is listen to R1, then hop channels as soon as a bad track comes on. Now...I'm experiencing a far too frequent to be random event where you hear a song, especially an 'oldie' then within minutes or hours you hear it not just on energy but also 3fm! Are they sitting there listening to each other, hearing a record and thinking ooh haven't heard that for a while, let's play it?

Think energy is selling out big-time by changing its emphasis to old music; who wants to hear crap like spandau ballet? I turned over back to R1 and heard the Foos..sez it all. Plenty of time to listen to dinosaur rock when yer dead but someone's clearly done some demographics and market research I suppose.

That said, I do agree that Manx should exist due to its (relatively) superb political reportage; probably the only media entity with the skills to challenge our leaders. Will be very sorry to see Roy Mc go.

What happened to the Manx Radio Breakfast show today. I started to enjoy it. The stand-in DJ was quite funny, without being cheesy. No 1970's catchphrase "keep a smile" on your face" rubbish. Keep it up. Sending Binlid to Sheatland was a good idea, maybe he might want to stay.

that's really pee'd me off about the 60's soundtrack, that's their best show!

Think energy is selling out big-time by changing its emphasis to old music; who wants to hear crap like spandau ballet? I turned over back to R1 and heard the Foos..sez it all. Plenty of time to listen to dinosaur rock when yer dead but someone's clearly done some demographics and market research I suppose.

So you like old music, but you don't like old music! <_<

I'd imagine their playlist is running old stuff like Spandau Ballet cos it's a lot cheaper in Royalty fees. I also noticed when they started Energy that they played a lot of dance music from the nineties. Felt like I was back in Little Ceasers!!

I'm with matty about the technology; if an advertiser cannot see the potential for customer outreach via new media then they'll simply give up ground to their more creative competitors. If you believe that a jingle is still the best method of getting the message across then you'll waste an awful lot of money on advertising.

So why don't you phone up the Marketing Directors of all the companies that advertise with MR and tell them your gobsmacking news that radio advertising/jingles don't work? Companies pay for advertising because in their niche it works. If it didn't they wouldnt. Advertising isn't all just throwing money at something cos it might work, you have to get a return on your outlay or there wouldn't be any point in being in business would there?

Its all well and good saying, I switch it off or I ignore adverts in magazines or pffft advertising whats the point? But why do you think it is one of the biggest industries in the world?

The very fact that you post on an internet forum means that you have an opinion. And opinionated people tend to be difficult to advertise to because they see through the advertising concepts most of the time and find them annoying. I'm the same I don't like adverts and yes I switch over an ignore them too - and I work in the bloody industry! But to say that advertising on Radio doesn't work and is a waste of money is a little off the mark. It might not work with you, Matty, me even, but to a majority percentage of people it does and thats why it exists.

Yes new media is another form of advertising and I would guess most companies look at that also, but radio is still a strong/popular channel to use, especially in the IOM.

Matty - opt in for adverts? Why would anyone sign up to an opt in if it meant no break in airtime? No advertising revenue - goodbye station.

- I also think that internet music broadcasters should have a PRS license (I beleive many on the Shoutcast network do)- that seems fair, so that the artists can get some revenue on their work being played.

And who pays for the artists royalties - out of someones pocket for your enjoyment? Subscription based would work, if you're willing to pay.

An advertiser probably wouldn't care if the medium to broadcast the ads was PRS licensed or not, they would be more interested in listening/viewing figures - and from net broadcasts/links you can get an exact figure on this - you can't get anything like this from conventional listener/viewer surveys!

An advertiser would if it was an illegal enterprise and they were seen to promote it - even if their listeners topped 5 billion. And figures on a webstream can be so easily fixed, it means jack.

Anyway thats enough of my bleet!

Not a personal attack BTW - I'm a switch off person also!!

howdy, good stuff slinkyD pretty interesting...I wasn't actually saying the wireless was dead as an advertising medium, just that you'd have to use the most recent techniques and strategies to make the most of it, talking here like podcasting, getting creative content and so on. The most important bit I have to comment on tho... :-) I just reckon oldies should be in their own space, listening to Mr Wint on a saturday reminds me of that ace program from ages ago called tour of duty, remember that? You mentioned about royalties costing more for older tracks and I'm quite curious about that just for my own knowledge as I don't know anything at all about it so if you know any more, slap it on here! cheers!

Archived