Nobody Listens To Manx Radio Anymore

parchedpeas

What you constantly fail to provide though is a method by which Manx Radio's already sweated assets can better be deployed to provide the scale of resource required to do things like that. Reporters having doors slammed in their faces can't be reading the news or preparing stories for regular bulletins or current affairs programmes.

The station simply doesn't enjoy the funding to have people wasting days on end 'digging' in the hope of getting people to talk who refuse to go on record (which is probably ALL the people you mention above with the exception of the people we've interviewed regularly in some detail). It's a small island with a tight-knit community, and even the best tabloid journalist from across would find it hard to make a living here.

If there isn't enough money to employ journalists then I can't understand how the station can justify the cost of deejay salaries. Most of the music content could be programmed - and the interesting stuff could be presented by interested volunteers. If cash really was the issue.

So there you go. I just saved Manx Radio at least 5 or 6 annual salaries.

But to be honest, and with respect, - I think Stu is rather over stating it wrt to the financial difficulties of being tougher about investigating the news. And if ccompanies / banks / depts etc decline to put up a spoke to be interviewed then the Manx Radio news team could say so on air. Write it into the item. There isn't any reason why they shouldn't. Tell the listeners what questions they wanted to put and why. It's part of the story.

So it isn't just about money. Whatever they say. It's much more about changing the style and becoming much tougher.

PS - don't regional journalists normally see a significant local story as an opportunity to show their stuff. Even if that means lots of extra hours unpaid.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stu - you've got my support over Manx Radio's decision to drop the Mannin Line. Whenever I listened to it it was random ramblings from old duffers who should know better to racist rants from people who were in their own glass houses. Not to mention the libel/threat of libel, which many of those callers had little respect for.

If I listened to it I would go into a depression about the fact I shared a nationality with the callers.

Things have moved a long way from the days of having large audio tape reels where the record and playback heads where seperated by about 10 - 15 seconds.

These days the digital systems are cheap and work well. Most occasions you can't hear the join when someone is dumped off air. All UK radio stations MUST use a delay when taking live calls from the public.

I understand that Manx Radio has never installed an audio delay system, even though the studio mixing desks are set up for it

I think there would be a painful period whilst the callers got used to it, as most seem to leave their radios on.

Everytime a live caller is put on the radio there is a chance of an incident. I remember hearing it happen with Sue Richardson when kids rang in and said a rude word or two before being cut off.

Surely with all the money headding up the hill they could find some money for this and get more callers live on the air.

I'm with Sarah...and why would anybody want to spend a penny on digitally delaying Count Morenzi's dog barking in the background.

Strikes me it's a perception thing - when the Mannin Line was on every day nobody used it much - save for the hardcore of Marje (RIP), Roy, Brian and Wilf. I've even heard the presenter threatening to play a record if nobody called in soon!

So they drop it and now people are up in arms! But do they phone in on Sundays when they have the opportunity - nope, still the same usual suspects talking about dog muck on the beach.

All the money heading up the hill? My understanding is that Tynwald agreed to increase public funding to the Manx radio station in return for issuing broadcasting licences to all and sundry who took a big chunk of advertising revenue away.

So now we have Energy going after their listeners too (weren't they supposed to cater purely for the young audience given up by closing Kick FM?). And 3FM is about as Manx as Ken Livingstone - it could be ANY station in Basingstoke, Newcastle or Glockamorra!

More callers live on air? Why?

So now we have Energy going after their listeners too (weren't they supposed to cater purely for the young audience given up by closing Kick FM?). And 3FM is about as Manx as Ken Livingstone - it could be ANY station in Basingstoke, Newcastle or Glockamorra!

Energy's target audience is 14-45, Which is what they are catering for

I must be wrong then - I thought when they launched their 'charter' was exclusively to cater to the under-25 market.

I actually enjoy much of their music these days - I have it on in the car instead of 3FM now. When they launched Energy would only work in XR3's and 106's with thumping subs, fried tweeters and hot ICE.

Allegedly.

There's a point to Manx Radio if it provides tight local reportage + local arts and culture. Otherwise it's just another tin pot local radio station playing crap LP tracks from the 80s.

In which case the govt funding should be put up for tender and awarded to whoever can put together the best proposal for using it. I don't believe that Manx Radio should have an automatic right to that govt funding - especially if it uses it to compete in the same market (crap middle of the road music) with fully commercial stations. Let the stations playing music from the 80s (etc) compete in a free market.

There's a heck of a lot of dead wood at Manx Radio.

I overheard one of the 3fm presenters in bar george the other day telling a young attractive lady(maybe their other half) that Energy had made a bid to buy out 3fm. is there any truth in this?

I'm sure Juan Turner would be the best thing that could happen to that station.

... when the Mannin Line was on every day nobody used it much - save for the hardcore of Marje (RIP), Roy, Brian and Wilf. I've even heard the presenter threatening to play a record if nobody called in soon!

So they drop it and now people are up in arms! But do they phone in on Sundays when they have the opportunity - nope, still the same usual suspects talking about dog muck on the beach ...

It's more than that Grumble.

Many listeners, quite simply, thought of the Mannin LIne as 'The voice Of The People Of The Isle of Man". No matter how many people called in, the air time was there for them to utilise if they chose.

The opportunity for that voice to be heard has been removed.

The MHKs have a regular opportunity to speak in the Keys or Tynwald. How many utilise that opportunity? Not many. It could be said that it's the same old suspects every week. Still, it's impotant that the opportunity is there.

Damn. Someone at the door ...

Addie - I understand completely what you're saying - in fact you confirm my point that it's more a perception issue. But surely, if nobody uses any service, it can't expect to survive indefinitely.

Simon - you obviously know much more about broadcasting, Manx Radio in particular and journalism in general than anyone else here. What do you do for a job? I have a couple of friends in the media who I'm sure would simply LOVE to critique your attempts to make a living...

Totally off the current points being raised. (plus I haven't read the entire thread)

I don't see as much effort being put into advertising Manx Radio as there was a few years back, maybe it just my perception but I see a lot more adverts for 3fm and energy but hardly any for Manxie FM?

Is this one of the reasons why Manxie fm is not as popular? No point advertising Manxie FM on Manxie Fm if people don't listen to it in the first place?

Simon - you obviously know much more about broadcasting, Manx Radio in particular and journalism in general than anyone else here. What do you do for a job? I have a couple of friends in the media who I'm sure would simply LOVE to critique your attempts to make a living...

If you disgree with something I've posted then why not highlight the specific point and give your constructive alternative perspective?

BTW - I'm assuming that you aren't professionally involved with every subject you've ever posted about here. Nor am I.

Strikes me it's a perception thing - when the Mannin Line was on every day nobody used it much - save for the hardcore of Marje (RIP), Roy, Brian and Wilf. I've even heard the presenter threatening to play a record if nobody called in soon!

So they drop it and now people are up in arms! But do they phone in on Sundays when they have the opportunity - nope, still the same usual suspects talking about dog muck on the beach.

I caught the last half hour on teh interweb on Sunday, and it was punctuated with music breaks. After the show, they went to Mark 'cringeworthy' Burrows at the Wild Life Park. Painful.

Bring back the old guard. OK, the likes of Terry Cringle are not to everyone's taste, but at least they have more than an inkling of charisma & talent.

Archived