Vintage Madness

spangle

Well 3 or more bikes are clearly seen going through incident. Why would they do that given the state of the road and fact it is a parade and not a race. The number of marshalls and paramedics in road should indicate a fair bit of debris? Isn't a waved flag to slow down and be prepared to stop? what the footage doesn't clearly show is that the first rider was hit by the second bike and the other rider was in the road further up. The guy who videos here has the camera set up on a shelf and the crappy bit in the middle is when he went to get it and zoom in. Admittedly not the best.

If you watch carefully, it took a good few seconds (and a good few riders) for the marshalls to get the yellow flag out and waving. These are old bikes with old drum brakes. They don't stop like modern bikes do. Without sufficient warning, what are the first few riders supposed to do? The best they can do is slow down as much as possible and avoid the incident. Once the flags are out, everyone stopped.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well 3 or more bikes are clearly seen going through incident. Why would they do that given the state of the road and fact it is a parade and not a race. The number of marshalls and paramedics in road should indicate a fair bit of debris? Isn't a waved flag to slow down and be prepared to stop? what the footage doesn't clearly show is that the first rider was hit by the second bike and the other rider was in the road further up. The guy who videos here has the camera set up on a shelf and the crappy bit in the middle is when he went to get it and zoom in. Admittedly not the best.

If you watch carefully, it took a good few seconds (and a good few riders) for the marshalls to get the yellow flag out and waving. These are old bikes with old drum brakes. They don't stop like modern bikes do. Without sufficient warning, what are the first few riders supposed to do? The best they can do is slow down as much as possible and avoid the incident. Once the flags are out, everyone stopped.

The marshals must not step on to the roadway until the incident scene is 'protected' by a waved yellow flag further down the road, warning approaching riders of the danger. The marshal displying this flag is out of camera shot, to the right. The marshals giving direct aid to the casualties would have to wait a few seconds until the flag man was in place and they were satisfied he was warning riders adequately. There is general guidance given to marshals that, in the event of an incident, you should stay at your post, count to ten, and let the dust settle, before assisting, to avoid becominge a casualty too.

The marshals must not step on to the roadway until the incident scene is 'protected' by a waved yellow flag further down the road, warning approaching riders of the danger. The marshal displying this flag is out of camera shot, to the right. The marshals giving direct aid to the casualties would have to wait a few seconds until the flag man was in place and they were satisfied he was warning riders adequately. There is general guidance given to marshals that, in the event of an incident, you should stay at your post, count to ten, and let the dust settle, before assisting, to avoid becominge a casualty too.

I used to be a marsall. I know. That is the whole point. In a parade lap they are fairly bunched up. It takes several seconds for the warnings to take effect. My post was not a criticism, it was an explanation of what was happening.

I used to be a marsall. I know. That is the whole point. In a parade lap they are fairly bunched up. It takes several seconds for the warnings to take effect. My post was not a criticism, it was an explanation of what was happening.

This is one of the few occasions I have to agree with Cambon, it would help if you looked at what he said.

To be fair the marshall in the picture is the 3rd flag on the approach. The flagman is situated just below the gates to the Corry Park and there is a flag at the bus station. The first couple yes have the excuse but even these oldies can stop with warnings from the bus station.

I totally agree your comments re: bunching up as this obviously exacerbated the situation hence my use of the word bonkers.

Well 3 or more bikes are clearly seen going through incident.

Not on the video they're not. The first one through after the guy crashed could hardly avoid going through as he was virtually there with him when he crashed and the second bike through looks like he was carrying too much speed to be able to safely stop before going through and it was literally seconds between the two. The rest all seem to have come to a safe stop and you're just being a drama queen.

Not on the video they're not. The first one through after the guy crashed could hardly avoid going through as he was virtually there with him when he crashed and the second bike through looks like he was carrying too much speed to be able to safely stop before going through and it was literally seconds between the two. The rest all seem to have come to a safe stop and you're just being a drama queen.

The first one through after the guy crashed hit the first guy's bike and flew in the air with his own bike hitting the first rider. It was the third bike through too fast to stop, then fiddling about with camera, then 2 (maybe 3) more riders picked their way through. The drama was all on the course mate.

Would seem the Clerk of the Course has acted on failure to adhere to waved yellows today tho!

I met the rider today, he is mending nicely thank you since you ask, tried a bit of walking this morning, long way to go yet.

He can't wait to see the video.

Good to hear! Thanks for the update. Will take a lot out of a elderly gentlemen having a crash like that.

The first one through after the guy crashed hit the first guy's bike and flew in the air with his own bike hitting the first rider. It was the third bike through too fast to stop, then fiddling about with camera, then 2 (maybe 3) more riders picked their way through. The drama was all on the course mate.

Would seem the Clerk of the Course has acted on failure to adhere to waved yellows today tho!

But really who gives a flying fook

I met the rider today, he is mending nicely thank you since you ask, tried a bit of walking this morning, long way to go yet.

He can't wait to see the video.

Good to hear! Thanks for the update. Will take a lot out of a elderly gentlemen having a crash like that.

Do you think he will be able to see the video ,because he couldn't see the F,in corner, hope he makes a substantial donation to the TTMA and MGP HELICOPTER FUND and hope he was well insured to cover his medical costs :angry:

What type of insurance do elderly gentlemen have to have to ride on a closed public road. Defo not normal road cover, Racing and speed testing are not covered and SOME of them were breaking the speed limit ! Very interested to know what cover they had ! :unsure:

Archived