Pokerstars

- Paul -

Mr Broadbent is one 25,000 players recently awarded compensation after falling victim to Chinese card sharps on the world's largest internet poker site, Pokerstars.

In July of this year, the Isle of Man based company refunded $2.1m (£1.63m) to disgruntled customers and has now pledged to step up its security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11250835

Tricky situation I should imagine.

Fraudsters will always be trying to exploit any situation where they see an opening.

Mr Broadbent is one 25,000 players recently awarded compensation after falling victim to Chinese card sharps on the world's largest internet poker site, Pokerstars.

In July of this year, the Isle of Man based company refunded $2.1m (£1.63m) to disgruntled customers and has now pledged to step up its security.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11250835

Tricky situation I should imagine.

Fraudsters will always be trying to exploit any situation where they see an opening.

Crad sharps? Sharks more like :)

Most people probably know that I work in the egaming industry, although not for the company mentioned above. Obviously, I can't go into any detail, but the amount of people that are trying it on in some way or another has always been a steady one and, with technology becoming more and more accessible and easier to use, will probably only grow.

From the outright stupid to the pretty sophisticated - it's all there and it's an arms race, but one the operators should ultimately win - just like any other online business like shopping, etc, sadly the crooks never sleep.

Card sharps? Sharks more like :)

Card sharps is actually the standard term for someone who uses skill and trickery to win at cards. (like in sharp-witted I suppose). Card shark is a more recent phrase, I guess derived from mishearing the term - it does paint a nice mental picture though. (sorry if I've misinterpreted the smiley, I'm a bit autistic where those fiends are concerned.)

Anyway that was a diversion, what I meant to say there was an interesting preview of tonight's documentary on 5Live breakfast this am. One contributor, an ex-Poker Stars employee had their voice disguised to protect his identity. Why would that be needed?

Anyway that was a diversion, what I meant to say there was an interesting preview of tonight's documentary on 5Live breakfast this am. One contributor, an ex-Poker Stars employee had their voice disguised to protect his identity. Why would that be needed?

Because, although the industry turns over billions, it's a lot smaller than you might think in terms of everyone-knows-everyone and I'm guessing the individual in question doesn't want to spoil future interview opportunities with other employers.

Card sharps? Sharks more like :)

Card sharps is actually the standard term for someone who uses skill and trickery to win at cards. (like in sharp-witted I suppose). Card shark is a more recent phrase, I guess derived from mishearing the term - it does paint a nice mental picture though. (sorry if I've misinterpreted the smiley, I'm a bit autistic where those fiends are concerned.)

the whole industrie stinks.

Pokerstars rigged Fulltilt rigged etc etc, would bring up literally millions of hits on google, theyve cleaned it up alot now, but its my impression that the biggest cheats are the sites themselves.

Archived