Sounds Like Sound Advice To Me

oldmanxfella

I think they should give the Jobcentre manager a medal for honesty:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8020254/Tattooed-woman-told-to-put-bag-over-head-by-Jobcentre.html

I mean FFS sake if you have deliberately modified your body to look like a total unemployable fuckwitt he was at least right in pointing it out to her. The state will be paying her benefits at our expense for years as she has effectively made herself unemployable.

I think she is ugly and the piercings look awful in my opinion, but there's no need to treat someone like that. She made decisions about how SHE wants to look and in a way rightly paid little attention or was unaware as how she would HAVE to be made to look in order to get a job.

Although it is ugly, unless she in a few specific occupations I don't see the problem with it. The problem lies with the workplace in trying to make everyone look the same.

I think she is ugly and the piercings look awful in my opinion, but there's no need to treat someone like that. She made decisions about how SHE wants to look and in a way rightly paid little attention or was unaware as how she would HAVE to be made to look in order to get a job.

Although it is ugly, unless she in a few specific occupations I don't see the problem with it. The problem lies with the workplace in trying to make everyone look the same.

Everyone has their own idea of aesthetics but if she fails to see that there are not many businesses (or indeed public sector employers) who would want to have anyone who looks like that working for them then she must be incredibly stupid. Perhaps the guy was trying to point out to her that she has needlessly limited her whole financial future by making herself look such a mess. Fair play to him I say. The taxpayer shouldn't be picking up the bill for someone who has deliberately and dramatically reduced their chances of getting a job. To do that you effectively consign your life to being sat on a sofa drinking strong lager watching Jerry Springer all day. Tough to have mapped that life out for yourself in your early 20s.

I agree with you as far as saying that it would be decent and proper to advise that someone would face seriously difficulties trying to get many (if not most) jobs with conspicuous tattooes and metal balls on your cheeks and chin. BUT it is quite another matter to be that rude. No need for it.

Anyway, she can always take the piercings out, so really there should not be any issue. It's not like she has ruined her life.

Though to be honest, if having tattoes and piercings can render someone unemployable then the problem is with the system of finding work and popular conceptions of what needs to be done to simply do something to survive.

She could work in a call centre or on any production line in the country plus in lots of media or creative arts companies. Its a non story as far as I am concerned. The bloke who said the things was being crass and unimaginative - she could and should get a job and not have a civil servant basically signing her up as unemployable.

I don't think she is ugly and as facial piercings go, I've certainly seen a lot more extreme even in the Isle of Man - and amongst employed people. From the headline/comments I was expecting her to have facial tattoos. As Chinahand said, there are jobs other than the service industry.

But I don't think the issue is simply one of the type of job. Unfortunately, people's minds are coloured by prejudices and opinions about others based on certain looks, though I am discounting looking shabby or unhygienic. It's the interview stage that's problematic for those who look different.

Hayley-ONeil_1723401c.jpg

Why she chose to tattoo and wear facial piercings then I don't know, but she did say that "This is my lifestyle choice, and this is who I am."

I would agree to some extent, on the views of the advisor, but he went over the top and should of handled it in a more professional way.

I can also understand her humiliation of the interview process, but she should also realise that some people will have similar views to the interviewer.

Top and bottom of it is that she's chosen the way she wants to look and although it would seem that certain persons in society would not employ her due to her not being aesthetically pleasing, there are jobs available and open to her.

It's very possible that she has many positive attributes and I'd say that people need to look further than just skin deep.

Hopefully she'll find a job and an understanding employer.

I have a couple of facial piercings myself (nose and lip) and have never had a single problem with employers. At the moment I work full time in a non client facing role in a large company on the Island and as I said, they don't seem to mind the piercings.

I appreciate that some people might find it a bit strange to deal with someone from their bank with piercings like those in the picture above but so long as they do their job and do it well - who cares? I think personal merit needs to take precedent more.

Archived