Ed Miliband Is The New Labour Leader

- Paul -

This is not good. The current Gov have no mandate from the electorate. They are going to make those who can least afford it (i.e. non-tory voters) pay for the excesses of the banks amongst others. A strong opposition is needed to curb their more blatant attempts to shaft the most vulnerable. As it is I don't see it happening under Ed Miliband.

Oh come on P.K. It is time to stop trying to blame the banks for labours cockups of the last few years. The bottom line is EVERYBODY in theYUK is going to have to pay for LABOUR'S excesses. The amount LENT to the banks (which has now increased in value to more than was originally lent) is a drop in the ocean compared to the wreckless amount borrowed by THAT government. In fact it is the best investment the labour government made in their time in power.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This morning I listened to Ed Miliband getting them squeezed on the Today program. After no doubt being prepped to the gills by his staffers he still seemed to me to be floundering a bit. On being asked point blank if his condemnation of previous Labour policies, HIS Labour policies that is, was just a poor attempt to distance himself from the past his denials sounded hollow to me.

This is not good. The current Gov have no mandate from the electorate. They are going to make those who can least afford it (i.e. non-tory voters) pay for the excesses of the banks amongst others. A strong opposition is needed to curb their more blatant attempts to shaft the most vulnerable. As it is I don't see it happening under Ed Miliband.

I suppose it had to happen, that we agree on something i mean.

and the way he talks outta the side of his mouth, just makes him look ad sound like a spiv in a suit.

Oh come on P.K. It is time to stop trying to blame the banks for labours cockups of the last few years. The bottom line is EVERYBODY in theYUK is going to have to pay for LABOUR'S excesses. The amount LENT to the banks (which has now increased in value to more than was originally lent) is a drop in the ocean compared to the wreckless amount borrowed by THAT government. In fact it is the best investment the labour government made in their time in power.

Oh come on Mr Cambon, it's time to get real.

As ALL parties realise they need to hold the centre ground their economic policies, and economic records, are getting more same old same old. I believe it was Chinahand who posted up the figures that these days show little to choose between them.

I like the way Labour, in any guise, make an attempt on issues like child poverty, inequality and so on. But I don't like the way they try and make the state all-encompassing which I think is a big mistake. They take it too far which is why I vote LibDem - or did anyway!.

I absolutely despise the Tories because they look out for their voters first of all and those who really need help come in a very poor second.

I posted this recently:

I also think you mean the realities of NOT being in power. For example the manifesto I voted for pledged no increase in VAT. What a laugh that turned out to be. The only hope I had from being in this coalition was that Cleggy and Cable would prevent Osborne doing the tory usual of looking out for their tory voters and the rest could go hang. As per Maggie's doctrine they don't vote tory anyway so fuck 'em.

Unfortunately for the coalition the Institute For Fiscal Studies have analysed the budget and come to this conclusion:

"IFS research makes use of analysis published by the Department for Work and Pensions since the Budget, and attempts to reflect the impact of all the benefit cuts announced in the Budget. It shows that, once all of the benefit cuts are considered, the tax and benefit changes announced in the emergency Budget are clearly regressive as, on average, they hit the poorest households more than those in the upper-middle of the income distribution in cash, let alone percentage, terms."

The full IFS research is on their site here.

So Osborne has looked out for their (better off) tory voters only - as per usual. Clegg and Cable should hang their heads in shame...

So there it is. Also their thinking that generating wealth is enough as it trickles down to those on the bottom is complete and utter bollocks. As we have all seen it trickles mainly UP to those who already have more than enough. But they vote tory, so THAT's all right then.

I posted this recently:

"IFS research makes use of analysis published by the Department for Work and Pensions since the Budget, and attempts to reflect the impact of all the benefit cuts announced in the Budget. It shows that, once all of the benefit cuts are considered, the tax and benefit changes announced in the emergency Budget are clearly regressive as, on average, they hit the poorest households more than those in the upper-middle of the income distribution in cash, let alone percentage, terms."

So Osborne has looked out for their (better off) tory voters only - as per usual. Clegg and Cable should hang their heads in shame...

You could say that, and it is in fact true because we have just come out of 13 years where the middle classes (better off) tory voters have been hammered - as per usual, and they still are being hammered. But at least now everyone is sharing the burden.

You could say that, and it is in fact true because we have just come out of 13 years where the middle classes (better off) tory voters have been hammered - as per usual, and they still are being hammered. But at least now everyone is sharing the burden.

Unfortunately you seem to have skated over the simple fact that their Budget hit the poorest households in CASH terms. Now why would you do that?

Anyway "we have just come out of 13 years where the middle classes (better off) tory voters have been hammered - as per usual" - now let's see your evidence.

Unfortunately you seem to have skated over the simple fact that their Budget hit the poorest households in CASH terms. Now why would you do that?

Anyway "we have just come out of 13 years where the middle classes (better off) tory voters have been hammered - as per usual" - now let's see your evidence.

40% and 50% income tax, robbing from pension funds taxing everything you use (unless you are on benefits) seems to fit the bill, wouldn't you think?

Anyway, why should the last 13 years of cock up not be everybody's problem to pay for?

40% and 50% income tax, robbing from pension funds taxing everything you use (unless you are on benefits) seems to fit the bill, wouldn't you think?

No. Let's see some real £numbers.

For example, take these figures. The top 20% of UK households get 15 times more than the bottom 20%. Disgraceful in a modern society. It gets evened up by the likes of Income Support etc etc. Guess what Osborne is attacking? Well surprise surprise. Indirect taxes vs Direct taxes further unbalance the distribution of dosh. What does Osborne do? He has put VAT up by almost 10%. Nice.

The point is that Labour really need to get their act together ASAP because the BBB's like Mr Cambon are right now very vulnerable trying to defend the indefensible. They're worthy of a really good kicking and it's just not happening. I'm still disgusted with Cleggy as well.

So David Milliband has quit.

Have to say that has diminished him in my mind.

Obviously at the start there was going to be alot of attention on him and his brother, but the way he's reacted to that hasn't been good with snide remarks over applauses at Conference etc.

He's not been able to get separation between loosing, and his brother; and he hasn't been big enough to get over it.

But this is only 48 hours of attention - the idea that he couldn't have gone back to the trenches of politics and got on with his job seems nonsense to me, and shows a narcisistic streak - he can't be in little brother's shadow.

Being on the back benches he won't be involved in opposition of government policies day to day - and hence will be more likely to be pulled into internal politics.

I think that's going to be bad for the labour party and maintain the split between reformers and traditionalists.

Bet the Tories will be happy.

The top 20% of UK households get 15 times more than the bottom 20%. Disgraceful in a modern society.

Erm PK That is before TAX and benefits!!! After Tax and Benefits is only 4 times.

That is a huge redistribution.

Sorry but a 4 times difference between the poorest quintile and the richest is not such a difference. Only the 4th and 5th quintiles make positive tax contributions - the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quintiles get more in benefits than they do in tax.

The "evidence" you have put up in my mind totally nullifies your argument. The UK is a very redistributive state where even the middle quintile - the classic white van man, sole trade, petty bourgeoisie entreurpeneur is a net benefit recipient.

To have Milliband saying he was going to increase support for this group - and further tax the higher quartiles to do it - shows the dangers of a dependency state. The third quartile has to contribute to state finances and be economically productive.

Labour has made them dependent - that's wrong.

The top 20% of UK households get 15 times more than the bottom 20%. Disgraceful in a modern society.

Erm PK That is before TAX and benefits!!! After Tax and Benefits is only 4 times.

That is a huge redistribution.

Errr, I did read the piece I put up you know.

The "evidence" you have put up in my mind totally nullifies your argument. The UK is a very redistributive state where even the middle quintile - the classic white van man, sole trade, petty bourgeoisie entreurpeneur is a net benefit recipient.

The point I was trying to make, obviously very badly, is that this redistribution to create a fairer society is under attack. As a wishy-washy Liberal I don't think it should be.

Labour has made them dependent - that's wrong.

Agreed. As I have posted many times before that's why I haven't voted for them.

Although not exactly "news" David going is bad for Labour. Ed also reminds me a little too much of the unelectable Kinnochio.

I suspect, although I do not know, that David is gambling on an election defeat for Labour at the next bunfight. Hazard a guess who David thinks will get elected as leader if that happens? But to make it happen he needs to distance himself from the failure hence a few years in the wilderness.

Wait and see mode.

RED Ed Miliband revealed today he does not believe in God.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3158377/Red-Ed-I-dont-believe-in-God.html

Followed by

Red Ed: Don't call me Red Ed

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/3157454/Red-Ed-Dont-call-me-Red-Ed.html

And further down the same page after the picture of him as Wallace with Gromit

Red Ed to Captain Scarlet

NEW Labour leader Ed Miliband can add Captain Scarlet to his rapidly-growing list of nicknames.

They don't seem to like him?

Archived