Duron 1200 Looking For A Motherboard

Ripsaw

Half dead PC.

I'm playing with a workmates PC after being told that it 'smelt a bit then made a pop noise'.

I have swapped the PSU with one from my other PC. Now when it poweres up, the fans run and the hard drive spins, but there is no floppy or hard disk activity and no POST beeps. The monitor shows 'No Signal'.

I have spripped down to bare bones and tried boot up without KB, mouse, RAM, G. card and Drives in various permutaions to trigger an error, alas still no beeps or boot up. The only visible sign is the HD light which is permanantly lit.

I am assuming that the BIOS is buggered but can not try to flash it due to the lack of floppy.

My other PC has an Intel board, so no good for swap testing any of the components soooooo has anyone got a dust gathering motherboard to swap for a small quantity of cash (or sexual favours) that will accept a Duron processor?

Hi

I have a sktA motherboard jetway v333u that you could use ermm but u would need a manual for it because there are loads of jumpers that need to be set correctly for it to work.

the board works fine as far as i know not really used it cos i favoured an abit mothoard i had lyin around.

thanks

dan

Sounds like the mobo is well pooped!

If it made a pop while powered up after that (unforgettable) burned component smell, I would probably suggest replacing the mobo, processor, ram & gfx card - it's possible they all might be knackered.

The PSU might have died & sent a voltage surge through the mobo.

It's also possible to fry a new mobo if you run it with faulty ram, gfx or a processor & vice versa.

If you inspect the motherboard/ram & gfx card, you will probably be able to find the component that "popped" it's often quite easy to identify a chip that's blown, you'll often find a crack in it, somtimes the plastic coating will be missing exposing the silicon inside, it's also possible that there may be a blown capacitor or two - these are the cyindrical shaped components (like a small metal can with a plastic sleeve, with their values printed on them).

If it was mine, I would plump up the extra cash and replace the lot - I wouldn't chance wrecking a new mobo/ram/card for the sake of trying to save a few quid.

Thanks Guys and sorry for not replying earlier.

The owner agreed to my advice of a new MB and PSU so I picked one up on Friday pm. When Dan was answering I was putting the bits together so didn't see the reply.

Apart from the PC running W98 which wasn't compatable with the drivers, all went well. I shoved him an ME upgrade (that'll teach him ;)) and I left him with the machine running sweetly.

Thanks again.

Archived