Niqabitches

Amadeus

French women protest burka ban by wearing niqab and hot pants

In protest of the recent law banning the burka in France, two female students took to the streets of Paris wearing a niqab, and mini-shorts, showing their long bare legs.

The two, who call themselves as the "Niqabitches", were filmed strolling in black high heels past prime ministerial offices and various government ministries with the black veil covering their faces, and only their eyes visible.

Passers-by were left bemused by the pair and even asked to take their photographs.

The two women were also seen in the film approaching the entrance to the ministry of immigration and national identity, only to be told by a policeman to go elsewhere.

The anonymous duo, political science and communication students in their twenties, have in an opinion piece published on the news website, rue89, said the film was a tongue-in-cheek way of criticising France's niqab ban.

Brilliant. It really does make you see how stupid and how wrong laws like this are. When half of them is completely bare, how can anyone be serious about having an issue with them covering their face in public?

I hope more people try and subvert and ignore this awful law.

I think Belgium did this a while ago -

"the ban applies to clothing that hides someone's identity in public places such as parks, buildings and on the street."

while I can understand the sentiment in some respects, it does obviously criminalise a section of society who cover their face for cultural/religious reasons.

Hopefully this can be resolved?

Brilliant. It really does make you see how stupid and how wrong laws like this are. When half of them is completely bare, how can anyone be serious about having an issue with them covering their face in public?

Because it’s not about covering their faces or about clothes, it’s about the statement that is being made by these people against us. A statement of contempt for us, our way of life, and our values.

It is precisely the same as walking down the street wearing a Nazi armband would have been during WW2.

Whilst I think the law is wrong but I can understand how it's come about. The french, generally, welcome anyone who will 1)fit in with the french way of life and 2) work. Anyone who wants to arrive here and refuses to fit in, for whatever reason is not going to have an easy life. Whilst this simple thinking is sometime apparent on here with regard to comeovers, it is understandable. Why, oh why, do you go and live in a place you don't like for whatever reason and then try and change it so you like it better?

Of course much has been made in this regard that many of the niqab wearers are french born and therefore haven't chosen to move to somewhere they don't like. Well that may be true but some (probably weighted) research found that many of the niqab protesters were recent converts to islam and/or had other axes to grind that involved having a go at the government for unconnected reasons . I find that strange. Is this just a form of antiestablishmentarianism that a proportion of the french population will, by default, support?

Because it’s not about covering their faces or about clothes, it’s about the statement that is being made by these people against us. A statement of contempt for us, our way of life, and our values.

It is precisely the same as walking down the street wearing a Nazi armband would have been during WW2.

Explain exactly how it is a statement against US. I disagree with you. It is an aspect of the culture that attends Islam and one that is accentuated upon contact with another culture. It is a reafirmation of their religion in a non-Muslim culture. This is not a good thing, as that affirmation is a religious one; by its very nature it separates people; and most importantly it is symbolic and demonstrative of the oppression of women. HOWEVER, in a liberal democratic that professes to advance a group of basic civil liberties, it is completely repressive and illiberal to ban people from wearing what they like in public.

Explain exactly how it is a statement against US. I disagree with you. It is an aspect of the culture that attends Islam and one that is accentuated upon contact with another culture. It is a reafirmation of their religion in a non-Muslim culture. This is not a good thing, as that affirmation is a religious one; by its very nature it separates people; and most importantly it is symbolic and demonstrative of the oppression of women. HOWEVER, in a liberal democratic that professes to advance a group of basic civil liberties, it is completely repressive and illiberal to ban people from wearing what they like in public.

If you don’t understand by now then you never will.

First of all, both girls there have a really nice pair of legs.

Spook, i find your cross symbol and the pictures of your zombie bloke jesus offensive against my society, will you decist wearing them or showing them, to me they are akin to a nazi armband.

Spook, i find your cross symbol and the pictures of your zombie bloke jesus offensive against my society, will you decist wearing them or showing them, to me they are akin to a nazi armband.

I wouldn't EVER depict Jesus on a cross. Nor would anyone who was a true Christian.

I wouldn't EVER depict Jesus on a cross. Nor would anyone who was a true Christian.

I never mentioned the zombie on the cross I said the symbol of the cross and separate images of the zombie bloke

Rubbish. Are you telling me that any church, artist, sculpturer or individual that has a 'depiction' of Jesus on the cross are not true Christians?

Isn't the death and resurrection of Jesus the cornerstone of Christian Theology?

I don't think you can seriously compare wearing a niqab to Nazism!

You may or may not believe but not all Muslims are terrorists the same as not all USA citizens are stupid.

As for people wearing a niqab - I have no issue whatsoever with it. We live in a society where people are allowed to wear what they want, and long may it remain so rather than pandering to the closed-mindedness of an unfortunate few.

What was strange was that whilst this was occurring in France there was little mention in the new of the banning of them in government offices, schools, etc in Syria - presumably to appease the west (USA).

I wonder if face masks are also banned.

As to the two women in France - not sure anyone could identify me by my derriere! :)

Archived