Website Update

xG RaveNx

Hey guys come check the new website update. Custom made skin and were going to be adding a classifieds section to the site for gamers on the Isle of man that want to get rid of there games or trade them.

http://xboxgamingcentral.com

Screnshot

post-16216-093632900 1286548052_thumb.jpg

Hey guys come check the new website update. Custom made skin and were going to be adding a classifieds section to the site for gamers on the Isle of man that want to get rid of there games or trade them.

Screnshot

post-16216-093632900 1286548052_thumb.jpg

How hilarious that a website dedicated to Microsoft's gaming system doesn't work with Microsoft's browser!

A word of advice - most people still use (for good or ill) Internet Exploder. Your priority should be to get the site working properly for the majority of your audience and then look at Firefox/Chrome (regardless of their superiority to IE) later.

were going to be adding a classifieds section to the site for gamers on the Isle of man that want to get rid of there games or trade them.

I wonder where they got that idea from?

I see your still copy pasting other peoples articles with out giving credit, if your going to steal articles wholesale from reputable sites the least you could do is copy the url as well.

Also amusing that when you stole the article from here you missed the first "S" of SEGA.

How hilarious that a website dedicated to Microsoft's gaming system doesn't work with Microsoft's browser!

A word of advice - most people still use (for good or ill) Internet Exploder. Your priority should be to get the site working properly for the majority of your audience and then look at Firefox/Chrome (regardless of their superiority to IE) later.

How hilarious your sarcasm is also! :)

The site currently works in the latest version of Internet Explorer. The message that is currently showing (which will be removed) was put there by another coder on the website, who had the older version of IE. Rest assured, the site works when I browse it in IE (Version 8, that is.)

If it doesn't work for you, maybe you need to upgrade IE to the latest version.

A little word of advice for you in return: As technology evolves, so does the need for people to adapt to it. I suggest upgrading to a better browser, because sticking with Internet Explorer is kind of like staying in the stone age when everyone else has gone to the Iron age.

Have a nice day. :)

I see your still copy pasting other peoples articles with out giving credit, if your going to steal articles wholesale from reputable sites the least you could do is copy the url as well.

Also amusing that when you stole the article from here you missed the first "S" of SEGA.

The news is automated from RSS feeds. It's called news for a reason, so people share this news with other people all over the net. You don't see BBC News going to Channel 4 and raging at them for using the same news story, do you?

Oh, and the 'Classifieds' system has been around FAR before manx game trades. All you have to do is take a look at sites like Ebay.com, Manx.net classifieds and many more. The idea is NOT new, so you're wrong in the fact that I copied the idea from them.

Edit - Oh, and I checked out that 'manx game trades' you just linked me to.. and I couldnt see any sign of the website being there. So thats rather strange isnt it, us apparently 'copying' a site that's not even there. :blink:

The news is automated from RSS feeds. It's called news for a reason, so people share this news with other people all over the net. You don't see BBC News going to Channel 4 and raging at them for using the same news story, do you?

Oh, and the 'Classifieds' system has been around FAR before manx game trades. All you have to do is take a look at sites like Ebay.com, Manx.net classifies and that like. The idea is NOT new, so you're wrong in the fact that I copied the idea from them.

Edit - Oh, and I checked out that 'manx game trades' you just linked me to.. and I couldnt see any sign of the website being there. So thats rather strange isnt it, us apparently 'copying' a site that's not even there. :blink:

1) Channel 4 don't copy wholesale articles from the BBC.

2) When ever a reputable website post a news article that they have got from another source they provide a link and thanks to the original author.

3) The BBC sell their content to other news outlets

4) Just seems strange that a site with a reputation of ripping of other peoples work would decide to include a game trade section for Manx users a few weeks after a Manx game trade site starts advertising.

5) Read the other thread, last post explains the link provided is broken.

2) When ever a reputable website post a news article that they have got from another source they provide a link and thanks to the original author.

4) Just seems strange that a site with a reputation of ripping of other peoples work would decide to include a game trade section for Manx users a few weeks after a Manx game trade site starts advertising.

*Deep sigh* Here we go then..

Why would we want to copy an idea from a website that's hosted on a free host and that we've never heard of before? I didn't even know the site existed until now. So, that invalidates your claim that we tried to take the idea from that site.

As for the whole 'News stealing' you're coming out with, we have not once said that we wrote the articles and news posts, and if the RSS feeds have a link that go back to the site (which most of them do), we leave them in. However since its automated, it's troublesome to single handedly go into every post and post a link back to their site, especially if it came from an RSS feed with no visible link to show us where it came from.

News comes from everywhere, and there are tons of sites that share news with each other. If you have a problem with the fact that a visible link isn't shown, then I understand where you are coming from. But if they wanted to have a link there, they could have easily put it in the RSS, making it easier for people to know where the original article came from. We don't set out and post an article and then add below it 'oh we wrote this by the way'. If there's a link there in the first place, we leave it there.

And what is 'reputation' of XGC that you speak of? I'm pretty sure that you just made that up on the spot to try and make us look like a bunch of foul players. Well, I understand what kind of person you are. You're a hater, and as the saying goes.. 'Haters gotta hate.' Maybe it's because you don't own a site yourself, or maybe jealous, or perhaps you're having a bad day? Who knows. I for one am proud of the achievement that I have collaborated on and made, and if for some reason you don't like the site without giving us a valid reason why, well, I'm sorry, but that's your loss.

We tend to listen to a lot of people about the site and take in peoples criticisms to make it better. I however don't appreciate the downright rudeness you have put forward. If you want to flame the website then at least have some logic behind what you are saying and actually give some pointers to make the website better, not just slander it for what's its worth to you.

I hope that this has opened your eyes a little bit. If you have any other problems that you cant make as constructive criticism, then don't post it here at all.

'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

*Deep sigh* Here we go then..

Why would we want to copy an idea from a website that's hosted on a free host and that we've never heard of before? I didn't even know the site existed until now. So, that invalidates your claim that we tried to take the idea from that site.

As for the whole 'News stealing' you're coming out with, we have not once said that we wrote the articles and news posts, and if the RSS feeds have a link that go back to the site (which most of them do), we leave them in. However since its automated, it's troublesome to single handedly go into every post and post a link back to their site, especially if it came from an RSS feed with no visible link to show us where it came from.

News comes from everywhere, and there are tons of sites that share news with each other. If you have a problem with the fact that a visible link isn't shown, then I understand where you are coming from. But if they wanted to have a link there, they could have easily put it in the RSS, making it easier for people to know where the original article came from. We don't set out and post an article and then add below it 'oh we wrote this by the way'. If there's a link there in the first place, we leave it there.

And what is 'reputation' of XGC that you speak of? I'm pretty sure that you just made that up on the spot to try and make us look like a bunch of foul players. Well, I understand what kind of person you are. You're a hater, and as the saying goes.. 'Haters gotta hate.' Maybe it's because you don't own a site yourself, or maybe jealous, or perhaps you're having a bad day? Who knows. I for one am proud of the achievement that I have collaborated on and made, and if for some reason you don't like the site without giving us a valid reason why, well, I'm sorry, but that's your loss.

We tend to listen to a lot of people about the site and take in peoples criticisms to make it better. I however don't appreciate the downright rudeness you have put forward. If you want to flame the website then at least have some logic behind what you are saying and actually give some pointers to make the website better, not just slander it for what's its worth to you.

I hope that this has opened your eyes a little bit. If you have any other problems that you cant make as constructive criticism, then don't post it here at all.

'If you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.'

Why not just try being nice - you get better responses that way and everything that goes with good feedback.

Your attitude just alienates people.

Haters gotta hate.' Maybe it's because you don't own a site yourself, or maybe jealous, or perhaps you're having a bad day? Who knows. I for one am proud of the achievement that I have collaborated on and made, and if for some reason you don't like the site without giving us a valid reason why, well, I'm sorry, but that's your loss.

Ah the last retort of the failed argument, I am obviously jealous.

The fact is you post news written by other authors on your site, you don't link back, the fact it is automated is of no really bearing it is plagiarism. It is hardly difficult to find the original articles or sites that these feeds are coming from, 2 seconds on google would find them and allow you to give credit where it is due.

I have raised this point with you several times and each time it is a different excuse.

I see links have been provided, generally good practice is to link to the actual article but something is better than nothing I guess. How long did that take to avoid criticism and the potential litigious wrath of IGN?

As for the trades, like I said seems odd for the same idea to come from 2 different people at pretty much the same time, but I guess here is an example of "great minds" thinking alike. Coincidence and all that.

Why not just try being nice - you get better responses that way and everything that goes with good feedback.

Your attitude just alienates people.

Raven, you really arent doing yourself any favours. I would stay quiet if I were you and just get on with your site.

Clearly both of you haven't read the comments about the site, or either both of you are biased towards non 'MF Guru' members.

I came on here to let people know about our site and all I've gotten back is sarcasm, and rudeness, and when I defend my cause I get told to shut up and suck it up? Maybe this community isn't the nice community I thought it was.

Ah the last retort of the failed argument, I am obviously jealous.

The fact is you post news written by other authors on your site, you don't link back, the fact it is automated is of no really bearing it is plagiarism. It is hardly difficult to find the original articles or sites that these feeds are coming from, 2 seconds on google would find them and allow you to give credit where it is due.

I have raised this point with you several times and each time it is a different excuse.

I see links have been provided, generally good practice is to link to the actual article but something is better than nothing I guess. How long did that take to avoid criticism and the potential litigious wrath of IGN?

As for the trades, like I said seems odd for the same idea to come from 2 different people at pretty much the same time, but I guess here is an example of "great minds" thinking alike. Coincidence and all that.

You have fair points about the news, but I have stated my reasons for them. Links will be added when they can be added, if that makes you sleep easier tonight.

As for the 'coincidence'. This is the internet, thousands of people do the same thing. Is it coincidence that 'manxbay', 'ebay', 'ebid', 'ubid' (really I could go on) all have the same features? The idea is common, therefore easy for people to think of, and like I said, the idea was around way before manx game trades.

Guys, I've had enough with trying to explain myself to you.

I would appreciate it if this topic was locked/deleted, due to the hostility and biased comments I'm getting.

Thanks.

As for the 'coincidence'. This is the internet, thousands of people do the same thing. Is it coincidence that 'manxbay', 'ebay', 'ebid', 'ubid' (really I could go on) all have the same features? The idea is common, therefore easy for people to think of, and like I said, the idea was around way before manx game trades.

Bad example as all the similar sites have copied the features from the successful eBay.

In this case I accept it is a coincidence.

However linking sources has been a constant issue since you launched the site, in April you agreed the point was valid, yet now you are having a fit over failing to correct the issue and having it brought back to your attention.

As I have said before if you were producing your own articles based on other news sources then fine, but your are using the whole thing verbatim.

How hilarious your sarcasm is also! :)

The site currently works in the latest version of Internet Explorer. The message that is currently showing (which will be removed) was put there by another coder on the website, who had the older version of IE. Rest assured, the site works when I browse it in IE (Version 8, that is.)

If it doesn't work for you, maybe you need to upgrade IE to the latest version.

A little word of advice for you in return: As technology evolves, so does the need for people to adapt to it. I suggest upgrading to a better browser, because sticking with Internet Explorer is kind of like staying in the stone age when everyone else has gone to the Iron age.

Have a nice day. :)

Rest assured that I was using IE 8. Perhaps you should get another coder on your website who knows the importance of testing with the latest browsers? But I imagine with your attitude it's hard getting anyone worth their salt to work with you.

Archived