Thai At The Boat House

Twonky

Can't comment on the fish and chips from here, but the Thai food is an oral orgasm of buttock-quivering proportions.

http://www.thebestof.co.uk/local/the-isle-of-man/business-guide/feature/the-boathouse/80464

They only open in the evening according to the menu, but were happy to open for us at lunch for a party of eight when we phoned a few days in advance.

The 'other' Thai restaurant in Douglas has been, frankly, bloody awful for a long time now, to the extent that I flat out refuse to eat there, even though I love Thai food and am generally prepared to put up with 'average' fodder.

We had a variety of starters, all of which were absolutely delicious, with portions that amounted to more than a couple of mouthfuls but still plenty of room for the mains. (And had a couple of us swapping items between plates as it all looked so tasty.)

The mains were excellent, if anything portions a shade too large for a lunchtime (there were a few completely clean plates though), and the quality of everything was superb. (One of our group who's been to Thailand and had explained ahead of time and in great detail about exactly what he was expecting at a Thai restaurant simply said 'This is fantastic').

Good quality meat, loads of amazing flavours going on, nice fresh and crunchy veggies, beautiful sauces and the heat levels were just right. (The menu has a chilli-code to help you choose and you can specify more or less heat as you wish.)

Cost for eight (starters + mains + rice + soft drinks for eight) was £125, so not cheap for a lunchtime but well worth doing as a special treat IMO, and we had no problem with all pitching in for a generous tip - especially since the service was absolutely spot-on too.

Definitely going try to make it there as a group once every few weeks, we'd rather spend a bit more money on a really good lunch once in a while, than chuck away a tenner or so on a weekly basis on the usual dreadful slop that gets resentfully chucked at you at most Douglas eateries.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Where is this place?

I have just tried to call this place for a takeout. Found an old menu that had been posted through my door and fancied a Thai but the number was not available. Has it shut? Noticed that the last few posts on this thread were recent so just wondered what the score was.

A shame if it has closed. Didn't last long if this is the case.

Archived