Mame Cabinets - Anyone Else Made One?

Cret

Nice job Jimbob, very time consuming work and takes a lot of dedication to stick at.

With regards to the speakers, I'd have probably gone coax myself to be honest but since you already have the tweets in place, maybe switch the polarity on them to improve the sounds. Can imagine they're a little harsh in that placement.

Good work dude :)

Cheers Rich

How does that work though? They sound ok with the new ones I fitted but that would swap the phase wouldn't it?

I'm considering getting coaxial ones, but then as you say I already have the tweets in place now, and I would prefer them like this to get tweets at ear level for better sound staging.

6.5" woofers are cheap/easy enough to get so I suppose crossovers are the thing I need really.

Yeah it's more of a placement thing, I understand you wanting to have the tweets at a stage level, but you'd need the woofers there as well, ideal in a cabinet setup is to have the tweets no more than a couple of inches away from the woofer to allow for correct staging. It's not going to be aweful as you're hardly going to be going for pure sq with an arcade cab, which is why I suggested swapping the phase. It should just take the edge off the tweets which is what I assume is why you mention wanting to improve the sound.

Crossovers are obviously worth it, but they're not really going to back off the tweets unless they're adjustable (which tend to be pricey). You could always just use some inline capacitors, which you may already have inline with the tweeters anyway.

Cheers Mrs Bees

Rich - I see what you're saying mate and it makes sense. The tweets aren't harsh though. The bass and high drivers I had at first were from a 25 year old sony midi system and were shockingly bad. I replaced the tweets with cheap chinese ones off ebay for under a tenner a pair delivered and they sound a little weak if anything, but not OTT at all. I need some 6.5" drivers and some crossovers (as cheap as I can get really) but yeah, there are electrolytic capacitors on there at the moment (I'm sure they were wired wrong in the sony cabinets too!!!).

Did another addition to the project today. I've been wondering how I could properly integrate a keyboard to the cabinet for ease of use with windows as & when required. Long term use hopefully it won't be needed too much, but for now with ongoing setup hassle it's a must.

There's nowhere I can rest a keyboard on it, and I can't fit the favoured slide out drawer due to the steering wheel setup that I fitted.

I have a teeny bluetooth one but it's barely bigger than a phone keyboard and is a pain to use. So what to do?

Well this solution is not the prettiest, and infuriatingly, I've found that it's slightly on a twist somehow, but hopefully I can resolve that.

But it works. Basically it ia stored inside the cupboard section on a long pivot arm that swings it out below/past the stashed steering wheel, and upwards to the front of the control panel where it is ideally positioned for typing. As I say the implementation is not the most beautiful in the world but that can be improved a bit if I can be bothered in future.

Pleased though as it means no having to hold a keyboard in the air or balance it precariously etc. When stashed, it is fully out of sight too.

Here you go:

Out of sight inside the cupboard - where is it?

IMG_20101016_235202.jpg

Door opened to reveal the keyboard inside, lurking beneath the steering wheel:

IMG_20101016_235132.jpg

It swings out past the wheel like so:

IMG_20101016_235117.jpg

Then folds sort of like this:

IMG_20101016_235100.jpg

Fully up now:

IMG_20101016_235036.jpg

I used nyloc nuts on the pivot points so that I can torque them up just enough to make it all moveable, but stiff enough that it holds it in place even when typing.

Quite pleased even though it could look a bit nicer. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Made a MAME cabinet a few years back, started with an ancient JAMMA arcade cabinet bought from an old arcade machine supplier on the island who had a dusty storeroom full of the things. Sourced two boards (J-PAC interface for the JAMMA loom and ARCADEVGA card to interface to the original monitor) for the PC, rewired the original power supply to strip out the DC supply to the original boards.

Found some utilities to generate configuration files for MAME so that it would run at the original arcade resolutions and refresh rates, stuck a slick game list front-end on the Windows shell, and added DAPHNE after I'd sourced MPEGs of the original laserdisc content.

Result is an original arcade cabinet that runs a few thousand games and variants through MAME on an original arcade monitor and controls, and some of my old favourite laserdisc games, including "Dragon's Lair" and "Space Ace". My kid loves it to bits so we often end the day with some 2-player classics.

The hardest bit of the whole build was actually shifting the cabinet up the stairs - the bases used to be filled with concrete so that the cabinets didn't tip over during over-zealous joystick use, which makes them incredibly heavy. When the boat comes in I'll treat myself to a new arcade monitor, although they're getting more and more difficult to find - the games are all designed to look their best on an original CRT, it just doesn't look right on an LCD :)

No really, it is. I got the controls problem sorted out for P2 Joy down in Gamex and I tried out SF2T.

Weird playing it with sticks instead of pads though so if I lose it's only because I'm not used to that....

I even bought a fancy new P2 Joystick so you wouldn't whinge about having to use the crap one.

Bastard - I like the sound of that, and yes the CRT monitors are meant to make the games look much nicer.

This one will do me for now but at some point, assuming it gets regular use, I may decide to build a nicer cab and try to fit it with the right sort of monitor etc.

• 7 months later...

Archived