Whos Scared

FCMR

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is that your defence as a secondary is to say that you can't and dont check all posts, and it's instead your duty to delete posts when there's a complaint. Yet if you're pre-emptively deleting posts and it's demonstrated that you do, then doesn't that defence go?

The moderators have two problems, they are exposed to the legal threat if someone posts something that pisses someone off, they are also put in a possition when they delete a factual event, its called the restricted reporting act, this act is to stop the rich from dictating what is said or not said and this goes for the reporting on issues relating to the UK Government.

Forum sites have to be carefull in what they call their forums, a news forum has to have some truth in it, a chat or gossip forum is just that. If a moderator feels that something has been posted that can put the site in danger he has the right to ask for proof, post a statement of intent to ask for proof or delete. This is hard on the moderator as it can be seen that he is taking sides in an unproven issue.

Yes I am Chuft and I am not stupid as some have said, I would not put anything on what is descibed as a facual forum (news) unless I could back it up. The CM knows who Chuft is, The CMs wife has had a go at me in public, but cant do a dam dicky bird about it in any court.

If Manxnet or manxonline had been closed down due to my postings and writen proof was provided to me I would of strung them out to dry.

Freedom of speech on the IOM is not what it sounds, freedom of speech is for those who have the bottle to speak out. Im Manx, but I have to say that most manx people would rather stick their fingers in their ears than hear the truth.

Remember a story in the press about the steam racket saying that they were running at a loss, how come they can now drop the fairs to £10

Moderators you have a job to do, but do it fairly, if you dont like the posting dont slag off the poster unless you are prepared to be slagged back, and to delete a slagging back from a poster does not look good to other members.

Even if a forum is based on a server abroad - including in the US - then there can still be problems. Even if the forum owner is also based abroad.

For example, if the hosting company (or any other part of a larger group), or the forum owner also has any business in the EU (and presumably the IOM) then I believe that they can also face the potential of legal actions under local laws.

Certainly I know of a bloke in the US who has a blog which accepts comments - and who was forced to change hosts because his original host also had business in the UK. The original US hosts (not the forum owner) were receiving legal threats from the UK which related to posts concerning a UK citizen.

His new hosts have no business outside the US and when they ultimately received a threat they were able to respond with a standard letter, via their lawyers, which related only to US law. The forum owner had warned them in advance that they were likely to receive threats.

Surely the best thing to do here is to stay within the rules of this forum. This surely isn't the right place to slate companies or individuals, or to spread insider - gossip. And there are so many other good ways of doing that without messing up this forum which seems friendly, non political, good natured and worth supporting.

EDIT: And if you don't post anything which needs to be deleted then the question of "restricted reporting" relating to an edit or deletion won't be an issue.

I'm sorry but you and Chuft really don't seem to get it do you? The great majority of people who use the local forums like doing so and if they are anything like me, are getting heartily sick of having to move from site to site and start all over again. Each time this happens, we lose members and the whole community spirt diminishes further.

If you can't abide by the terms and conditions, go somewhere else!

You're both worse than another person I could mention (but won't) in that all you ever bleat about is the government. If you are both so concerned about the running of this island, involve yourselves in the political process and get elected and work your way up the ladder.

Archived