Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

I don't care how much a company pays its staff. I just want a cheap and decent service

Lets hope that you are never in a situation were your job is being undercut by poverty wages then, then you wont even be able to afford to pay for the cheap and decent service.

Chris these people are so taken up with their involvement in the race to the bottom, they're beyond reason. Best thing is to ignore them.

Worrying thing is there's so many of them living here, it doesn't bode well for the future.

Ah yes, doubtless acorn is typing this with his Isle of Man-made computer, in his shoes from Ronaldsway Shoe Company, wearing a suit made by the bespoke tailor on Bucks Road (using only Manx sourced fabrics). What an idiot

Chris these people are so taken up with their involvement in the race to the bottom, they're beyond reason. Best thing is to ignore them.

Worrying thing is there's so many of them living here, it doesn't bode well for the future.

I hope that I have made a few positive suggestions as to how the company could improve its profitability without major hikes in prices. Acorn forgetting the 'race to the bottom' what are your positive recommendations for achieving an improvement in the current situation?

'We will beat Mezeron', says Quayle

Here's a report from Manx Radio link

However, I recommend listening to Roger Watterson's excellent interview with Mr Quayle on the Manx Radio Opinion Programme yesterday

There's a nice pocket history of the Isle of Man Steam Packet at the start of the programme. Roger Watterson knows his subject here and I thought he stepped up a gear or two in his interview style for this one.

Well worth listening to if anyone is at all interested.

I hope that I have made a few positive suggestions as to how the company could improve its profitability without major hikes in prices. Acorn forgetting the 'race to the bottom' what are your positive recommendations for achieving an improvement in the current situation?

Simple Nationalisation is the obvious answer, run by a government owned company, note I say a government owned company, not a government run service. Though a govenrment run service would still be a massive improvement on the current rip off merchants in charge. It's a highly profitable service, currently being milked at our expense.

Why shouldn't the profits from the service be ploughed back into the Manx economy? The inevitable objections are going to arise, borne out of neo-conservative (race to the bottom) dogma. The question I'd ask, before the rightard indoctrinated bleating starts, is why should a lifeline service not be run wholly for the benefit of the community it serves?

Simple Nationalisation is the obvious answer, run by a government owned company, note I say a government owned company, not a government run service. Though a govenrment run service would still be a massive improvement on the current rip off merchants in charge. It's a highly profitable service, currently being milked at our expense.

Why shouldn't the profits from the service be ploughed back into the Manx economy? The inevitable objections are going to arise, borne out of neo-conservative (race to the bottom) dogma. The question I'd ask, before the rightard indoctrinated bleating starts, is why should a lifeline service not be run wholly for the benefit of the community it serves?

This simple answer for IOMSPCo is to fill the vessels with cars & bodies, bums on seats. The below will probably give an indication as why they're in the current position:

1 car + two passengers

Journey dates:

Outbound to Heysham 22 December 2010

Return to IOM 5 January 2011

Daytime sailings

IOMSCO cost: 330.00

Same dates and terms

P&O cost: LPL-DUB-LPL 239.00

Irish Ferries: Holyhead-DUB-Holyhead 349.00 cabin as standard

Norfolkline: LPL-DUB-LPL 198.00

What they need right now is revenue, any revenue until they get the freight business back but given the current managements' inability to think outside the box that's unlikely to happen.

Douglas > Heysham > Douglas = 113.6 Nautical Miles @ £330 = £2.90 per Nautical Mile.

Dublin > Liverpool > Dublin = 242 Nautical Miles @ £239 = 99p per Nautical Mile.

Fuck you IOMSPC ;)

This simple answer for IOMSPCo is to fill the vessels with cars & bodies, bums on seats. The below will probably give an indication as why they're in the current position:

1 car + two passengers

Journey dates:

Daytime sailings

Those prices probably give an indication that on those two days the boat is fairly full. It may come as a surprise to you but the airfaires are fairly high around those dates as well

Douglas > Heysham > Douglas = 113.6 Nautical Miles @ £330 = £2.90 per Nautical Mile.

Dublin > Liverpool > Dublin = 242 Nautical Miles @ £239 = 99p per Nautical Mile.

That's shocking. Who would have thought that it would have been cheaper per mile the larger boat you operate and the longer trip. I look forward to more startling revelations, next you will be telling me that Father Christmas is not real.

1 car + two passengers

Journey dates:

Daytime sailings

Those prices probably give an indication that on those two days the boat is fairly full. It may come as a surprise to you but the airfaires are fairly high around those dates as well

Fair assumption but not correct. I tried 2 days either side of the above and srtill the same price. IOMSPCo don't operate their fares like airlines. It's take it or leave it job.

Edited by Andy Onchan

1 car + two passengers

Journey dates:

Daytime sailings

Same dates and terms

What they need right now is revenue, any revenue until they get the freight business back but given the current managements' inability to think outside the box that's unlikely to happen.

simple, just go on 21st and return on 6th for £183 :D

Daytime service?

Edited by Andy Onchan

1 car + two passengers

Journey dates:

Daytime sailings

Same dates and terms

simple, just go on 21st and return on 6th for £183 :D

That's shocking. Who would have thought that it would have been cheaper per mile the larger boat you operate and the longer trip. I look forward to more startling revelations, next you will be telling me that Father Christmas is not real.

And don't forget that's subsidised by the freight!