Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

<snip> but you would also need to factor in the exisiting freight that Mezeron already shipped in and out fo Ramsey.

Not forgetting that the majority of Mezeron moved to Douglas over a year ago and shipped freight on the Ingeborg Pilot to and from Glasson. It would seem to me that after running for a year and finding it viable, and, with an increase in traffic when they used Liverpool, Id say Mezeron will survive quite well.

As Ive said earlier, it's my feeling that both companies will continue to trade, even after Christmas.

IMHO, the Racket only appeared to 'kick off' once Tesco started to use Mezeron. Remembering that they still carry freight for M&S, The Post Office, and I think the Co-Op. And it would seem that there must be others I can't name, Coal supplies being one of them.

I'd put money on the Island being in the same situation in 6 months time with both companies running as they are.

Edited by Andy730

Travelled on the Ben last night, pretty well full of freight, 30 -40 cars and 3 coaches full of foot passengers. The Mez boat followed is into Doolish with only about 12 boxes onboard!

Same here - came back on the 02.15 from Heysham Wednesday 22/12 - lots of freight and a good number of cars too. Doesn't look to me like Mezeron have the SP on their knees. Another trouble-free trip, one of many this year. Only regret is that it was a bit late for the fantastic chicken curry!

A update on other Irish Sea Ferry Companies. Stena Line have now closed down the Fleetwood-Larne route, laying up 3 vessels used on that route, this was due to " substantial losses". Stena have bought DFDS/Norfolklines Belfast-Heysham/Liverpool routes. DFDS sold up after making losses of €30m on it's Irish Sea services during the last 2 years.

Travelled on the Ben last night, pretty well full of freight, 30 -40 cars and 3 coaches full of foot passengers. The Mez boat followed is into Doolish with only about 12 boxes onboard!

Same here - came back on the 02.15 from Heysham Wednesday 22/12 - lots of freight and a good number of cars too. Doesn't look to me like Mezeron have the SP on their knees. Another trouble-free trip, one of many this year. Only regret is that it was a bit late for the fantastic chicken curry!

Do the containers nearly all travel at night? When I saw 8 off and 6 on for a day sailing the week before Christmas I thought that Mezeron might be biting into business more than I thought they had been.

I've heard most of the frieght goes at night especially during the run up to Christmas, Easter etc. It frees up room for cars during busy periods.

Thanks MB. Makes sense. There were a lot of cars coming off at Heysham and announcements to only use one seat per person on the trip back.

• 3 weeks later...

IOM Steampacket announce that Snaefell will no longer features as part of it operational fleet. There will be a cut back in sailings

They should have scrapped it when it 1/2 sank... it's a heap of sh**...

Racket or MR? :P

Snaefell, Manannan, Ben My Chree,

Three little ships had sailed the sea,

Proudly bearing a Manx name,

But there’s one will never again,

Oh Snaefell’s going, from the Isle of Man Company,

Oh Snaefell’s going, for reasons all budgetary.

At one a.m. in Douglas bay,

Manx Radio news was heard to say,

"With those contracts lost, the Racket could fail,

it's a rather obvious business tale",

Oh Snaefell’s going, from the Isle of Man Company,

Oh Snaefell’s going, cos the Racket robbed you and me.

IOM Steampacket announce that Snaefell will no longer features as part of it operational fleet. There will be a cut back in sailings

They should have scrapped it when it 1/2 sank... it's a heap of sh**...

Racket or MR? :P

Ha... hadn't thought about it like that :D nice one...

Haven't listened to Manx radio since I was at school, and I’m retired now... not that I prefer the other options, I simply don't have time to sit and listen, and find trying to listen while driving is more of a distraction.

I see the news of the Snaefell is in today’s local paper... The racket also state that they've lost 15% of their freight traffic to Mezeron.

I still think that very little will change over the next 6 months... Both companies will continue to run as they are... All the huff & puff from the racket is just that...