Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

What I'm trying to get across is that in the long term it's to no bodies advantage. Both companies will take financial hits, jobs will be lost and the consumer, both passenger and freight, will end up with a poorer service. This was why is was comparing it to Stena/DFDS.

I dont see mezeron taking a financial hit, if anything i would say the isle of man side will prob see a good increase in revenue,

yes i see the SP taking a big hit. But if they were run normaly without this huge debt, then services should not be effected because they would be able to compeate with them,

And this is the point, its all about the loan, thats all its ever been about,

it has northing to do with the people, the company the workers, its all about the owners being able to keep there ass out of the fire.

let them burn they stoked the fire for so long and took the piss for even longer that they only have themselfs to blame.

If you think Mezeron are making lots of money on this venture I think you are very much mistaken, looking at how much freight they are carrying compared to outgoings( charter fees, fuel, pilot fees, harbour dues, dockers wages) I would think they are lucky to be breaking even.

The Steam Packet are taking a hit, but it won't be the owners it effects, it'll be the punter, with fewer sailings.

I do work in the shipping industry and I do know how much they are paying for the charter, fuel costs can be guessed at pretty accurately because you can get the ships specs online, pilotage fees are known, the only real guess are the dockers costs but these will be fairly small compared to the rest of the expenses.

The owners are Pension Funds so the Steam Packet will form a very small part of their portfolio of investments, the savings made by not running the Fastcraft as much will keep their dividends up.

If you think Mezeron are making lots of money on this venture I think you are very much mistaken, looking at how much freight they are carrying compared to outgoings( charter fees, fuel, pilot fees, harbour dues, dockers wages) I would think they are lucky to be breaking even.

The Steam Packet are taking a hit, but it won't be the owners it effects, it'll be the punter, with fewer sailings.

How much freight are Mezeron carrying? I see the ships depart (they arrive a bit early for me!) on a daily basis, sometimes stacked high with containers, sometimes not. Can you share your information?

If you factor in what Mezeron were already carrying, that doesn't seem a great deal.

Would be very surprised if they were still around in 6 months.

That appears to be Mark Woodward's opinion, too, given that the IoMSP are raising freight charges rather than cutting them. But I think the Packet has been complacent and that attitude probably continues. If Mezeron aren't making enough money, they might respond with more aggressive pricing. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

I don't think the IoMSP punters need to be too concerned. All the apocalyptic noises Woodward made when Mezeron's daily Liverpool/Douglas service came in turned out to be just a load of hot air. They have retired one ageing fast craft that was at the end of it's useful life and re-jigged their schedules accordingly. Probably would have happened anyway.

Edited by guzzi

If you factor in what Mezeron were already carrying, that doesn't seem a great deal.

Would be very surprised if they were still around in 6 months.

Considering how much the IP was carrying to Glasson (of all places) Mezeron must have seen a suitable market to expand to two vessels and a more suitable port in England. I'd lay good money on the Mezeron service still being a going concern in 6 months.

Recalling something I posted earlier, I think that the Islands freight requirements must have increased and there is, perhaps, enough to maintain the two services.

Edited by Andy730

I agree with you that the SP management needed a good kick up the a**e. The standard freight rates have gone up in line with the User Agreement conditions but I've heard on the grape vine that 'deals' have been done with regular and large scale users to keep them onboard.

I don't know if Mezeron have much scope to drop prices further, there is only a certain ammount of freight there to be carried.

Agreed about the Fastcraft as well, the Snaefell was at the end of her useful life but if it all pans out in the SP favour I wouldn't be surprised if the UA is renegotiated and the Mannannan is replaced by another conventional ship. With oil prices rocketing again very thirsty Fastcrafts days are numbered.

given that the IoMSP are raising freight charges rather than cutting them

As above, I think you may find that they have reduced the freight charges to their regular customers. The rates which have had an annual increase will be the stuff that 'has' to use their services (i.e. self-propelled) and one-offs, which are not going to be bothered in containerising for the sake of a few hundred quid.

And just to clarify, sorry, I see Mezeron continuing ad infinitum - there is clearly a market for them as they were plus a bit more scope, but I do not see the long term viability of the current 'Graylaw' service.

I wouldn't be surprised if .....the Mannannan is replaced by another conventional ship.

Agreed that having a gas guzzler in the current economic climate is not a good thing, but getting another conventional ship would probably require at least another £30m to be added to that loan. Would the bankers be sympathetic, even if it were the most sensible thing that the company could do?