Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

If you mean Mezeron jobs I'm of the same opinion as Manxman8180, there is a place for there service as they were ie Silver River doing Belfast/Glasson.

29 IOMSP jobs gone, cant see Mezeron employing local seamen at the agreed UK rates of pay

Edited by ThankU

I don't think the IoMSP punters need to be too concerned. All the apocalyptic noises Woodward made when Mezeron's daily Liverpool/Douglas service came in turned out to be just a load of hot air. They have retired one ageing fast craft that was at the end of it's useful life and re-jigged their schedules accordingly. Probably would have happened anyway.

I would be interested to see the the number of sailing this year compared to last year. For 2011 there are 302 to Liverpool ignoring the winter sailings. Anybody got a 2010 timetable hanging around and care to do the sums

<snip> but I do not see the long term viability of the current 'Graylaw' service.

What are your thoughts there then?

I'm interested purely as it 'appears' that Graylaw has some sort of link with Stobarts... i.e. Both logos on containers...

More info please...

I think the Stobart link is more to do with Tesco than Graylaw. I believe Stobart are one of the main hauliers for Tesco in the UK.

As for the L'pool sailings it appears that instead of a 07.30 every morning they only go at the weekend, it still looks like there is an afternoon sailing almost every day.

I've been told they would have to scrap the morning sailings completely to come anywhere neat the UA limit.

<snip> but I do not see the long term viability of the current 'Graylaw' service.

I'm interested purely as it 'appears' that Graylaw has some sort of link with Stobarts... i.e. Both logos on containers...

More info please...

Yes the Stobarts link is really with Tesco. If you look at the containers, the 'Graylaw' logo is rather fresh compared to the others.

The expansion in Mezeron's activities has been 'bank rolled' by a certain haulier. Yes, technically it is Mezeron / Doehle, but they were not the driving force in setting this larger LO-LO service up. It was rather the other way around.

More info please...

Yes the Stobarts link is really with Tesco. If you look at the containers, the 'Graylaw' logo is rather fresh compared to the others.

The expansion in Mezeron's activities has been 'bank rolled' by a certain haulier. Yes, technically it is Mezeron / Doehle, but they were not the driving force in setting this larger LO-LO service up. It was rather the other way around.

not surprised really at the price they were being charged,

but they have a few million to play with till they start losing over the sp, just with the 1 contract alone let alone all the other stuff they bring in,

with tescos worth at least 3 million a year in shipping alone, thats a lot of cash to play with

More info please...

OK, yes, I understood the link between Tesco & Stobarts, reinforced by the recent TV series. But the Graylaw link (with the fresh painted logo) was interesting.

Regarding who was/is doing what... I thought it was the family that approached Dohle to sell Mezeron, but only 90%(ish) with the remaining 10% kept by the family. Feel free to correct if I’m wrong, but I was led to believe Dohle was the only company that would purchase with those limitations.

Edited by Andy730

Not to sure you are on about here, but I'd like to know how you arrived at the figure of £3m.

how many wagons a day from tescos, and the 3 million is one way not both, so you can go 6 million if you like, not including the xmas or orther busy times and this is on the min amount per day,

You tell me how many boxes a day they're shifting! If they're charging £6m a year the Greylaw/Mezeron rates are a hell of a lot more than the SP ever charged. If you consider Mezeron are averaging about 17 boxes a day and a lot less at the weekends and as you say some of those are for other hauliers they must be charging a very steep rate.

Andy730, as far as Mezeron ownership goes, the company was owned by Mr Barratt, who is described by a mate of mine as a true gentleman in everysense of the word, when he passed away it was his son who decided to sell up.

The company and it's ships were his babies, my mates phrase not mine, so maybe they wanted to keep 10% for sentimental reasons or as an income for the family. Why Dohle? I don't know.

But with everything that's going on my mate says Old Mr Barratt will be spinning in his grave.

You tell me how many boxes a day they're shifting! If they're charging £6m a year the Greylaw/Mezeron rates are a hell of a lot more than the SP ever charged. If you consider Mezeron are averaging about 17 boxes a day and a lot less at the weekends and as you say some of those are for other hauliers they must be charging a very steep rate.

well do the maths on a trailer at £1200 one way, and you tell me how i got my figures,

do it on the 17 trailers a day, thats a nice little earner,

yes the ferry is not that much but thats what companys charge say u and me to ship a triler out.

now even if you do it on £800 a trailer which has been said what the sp charged, between 800-1000 a trip,

them figures soon add up.

But with everything that's going on my mate says Old Mr Barratt will be spinning in his grave.

Noboody knows that, maybe Mr barrat would have done the same thing, who knows,

which ever way it is, Mr barratt is not here, Mr Barrat can not decide what is best for his compnay,

and in respect I see this as quite a harsh thing to say on a public fourm where to be honest your just saying somebodys opion on the matter, which could be vary well unfounded and untrue, but vary upsetting for family members to read.

lack of respect to the deceased and the living in my book,

If they are charging £1200 one way then the SP has nothing to worry about, the hauliers will soon be back to using the Ben my Chree.

In an earlier posting you state the Graylaw/Mezeron run was set up because the SP were charging so much but in your second paragraph here you state that the ferry is cheaper.

Not only does your maths not add up, neither do your arguements.

By the way I've let you prattle on but I know for a fact Mezeron charge no where near what you are claiming.