Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

If they are charging £1200 one way then the SP has nothing to worry about, the hauliers will soon be back to using the Ben my Chree.

In an earlier posting you state the Graylaw/Mezeron run was set up because the SP were charging so much but in your second paragraph here you state that the ferry is cheaper.

Not only does your maths not add up, neither do your arguements.

By the way I've let you prattle on but I know for a fact Mezeron charge no where near what you are claiming.

I think you have been confussed, maybe these points will make u see stright

no the SP charge the £1200, or should i say around the £1000 mark,

mezeron are cheaper than the SP, so no they wont be bcak using the ben my chree,

How do my maths not add up, please shyow exsample.

and yes my arguements do stand up.

To be fair i have no idea what mezeron charge for the douglas services, But i do know that they charge about £400-500 a 20ft flat,

And have heard of £800 for a 40ft trailer, which would be about right.

Regarding who was/is doing what... I thought it was the family that approached Dohle to sell Mezeron, but only 90%(ish) with the remaining 10% kept by the family. Feel free to correct if I’m wrong, but I was led to believe Dohle was the only company that would purchase with those limitations.

Yes, I think you are right on that. However, the expansion to a daily LO-LO service was at the behest, or perhaps even engineered by the haulier in question.

well do the maths on a trailer at £1200 one way, and you tell me how i got my figures,

do it on the 17 trailers a day, thats a nice little earner,

yes the ferry is not that much but thats what companys charge say u and me to ship a triler out.

now even if you do it on £800 a trailer which has been said what the sp charged, between 800-1000 a trip,

them figures soon add up

This is a bit confusing, I think that is what Manxbaz is trying to get at.

You are taking SP figures (allegedly) and combining them with Mezeron volumes. So your figures may be correct based on that, but if they are 'half price' compared to the SP then you instantly half that revenue.

Plus, there is no way that Tesco were paying £1200 each way for a trailer, especially with their volume discounts. Secondly, Mezeron are not shipping all of Tesco's stuff, maybe as little as half, which also impacts your figures.

To be fair i have no idea what mezeron charge for the douglas services, But i do know that they charge about £400-500 a 20ft flat,

And have heard of £800 for a 40ft trailer, which would be about right

So how are they cheaper then? You say above that the SP charged £800.

Thank you Manxman8180 for trying to explain to Gazza but seeing as he's not replied to you I'll ask him, how can you use a supposed SP freight rate multipy it by Mezerons daily total carryings and say the result is what Tesco pay?

Based in the above figures you then say "yes the ferry is not that much".

In the final paragraph you state you've heard the SP charge £800.

That's why you're figures and arguments don't add up, you use any number as and when, just as long as you get the result you require and then you argue against yourself.

I just happened across this trade article:

DFDS’s sale of its Irish Sea routes to Stena is being investigated by the Irish Competition Authority (ICA) and, separately, hauliers are concerned that DFDS’s withdrawal from the market could push up prices.

The ICA said an initial investigation into Stena Line’s €50 million (US$62.2m) proposal to purchase DFDS Seaways’ Belfast-Birkenhead and Belfast-Heysham services had been inconclusive, and it would look into the deal in more detail.

It said: “Following a preliminary investigation, the competition authority is unable to conclude that the acquisition will not substantially lessen competition in markets for goods or services in the state without carrying out a full investigation.”

Stena Line was unable to comment on the investigation.

The ICA has until 13 April to make a decision on the proposed sale and has invited interested parties to make submissions no later than 5pm on 4 February.

The UK’s Office of Fair Trading is also looking at the deal, as standard practice, and told IFW it would announce a decision on 8 February.

By the end of the month, three routes on the Irish Sea will close – DFDS’s services between Dublin and Birkenhead and Heysham and Stena’s service between Larne and Fleetwood – leaving four ferry firms operating 14 freight-carrying routes.

If the acquisition is given the green light by competition authorities, Stena will operate six.

Meanwhile, hauliers are concerned that Stena’s acquisition and the loss of routes will result in increased prices on the trade.

One industry observer said: “Stena Line, which is already dominant in shipping passengers, will increase market share instantly.

“Prices for overnight ferry tickets are likely to increase dramatically as it starts to milk the freight v passengers [situation] on extremely full ships.”

A spokesman for Stena Line said there would still be enough operators on the Irish Sea to ensure that prices would still be governed by market forces."

UNQUOTE

What we need is a nice multi-millionaire to buy out the Racket and give it back to the island. There again, I've never met a nice multi-millionaire (or a nice South African) come to think of it - so chances are slim.

Has any multi-millionaire put anything much back into the island since Noble of Nobles Park fame?

Has any multi-millionaire put anything much back into the island since Noble of Nobles Park fame?

IMHO, I suspect that the majority of multi-millionaires who reside here would be thin on the ground. Sad to say but I don't think we'll ever see the likes of Noble again. If memory serves me, didn't he donate the museum building as well? I think there's a book available about him and what he did for our island, although I can't recall what it was called.

What we need is a nice multi-millionaire to buy out the Racket and give it back to the island. There again, I've never met a nice multi-millionaire (or a nice South African) come to think of it - so chances are slim.

Dr McDonald donated land and paid for the construction of the new Sulby School. There must be other examples..... probably....

Dr McDonald donated land and paid for the construction of the new Sulby School. There must be other examples..... probably....

Didnt the late owner of Mezaron its self donate nearly a million quid to the hospice building?

Didnt the late owner of Mezaron its self donate nearly a million quid to the hospice building?

Yes he did !!!!! :) and a big lump of money to the lifeboat :)

Edited by DRIVER

Thank you Manxman8180 for trying to explain to Gazza but seeing as he's not replied to you I'll ask him, how can you use a supposed SP freight rate multipy it by Mezerons daily total carryings and say the result is what Tesco pay?

Based in the above figures you then say "yes the ferry is not that much".

In the final paragraph you state you've heard the SP charge £800.

Where have Manxman8180 been the last few months ? You both seem to have taken over this thread? No doubt both of you are brown noses working for SP? Yea I think so 

That's why you're figures and arguments don't add up, you use any number as and when, just as long as you get the result you require and then you argue against yourself.