Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

conspicuous by it's absence is the flood of posts about how this and that company is the worst thing that ever happened, as at the start of this thread.

I won't hold my breath though :unsure:

Yes, i admit that i had hoped that both companies would continue to trade, how wrong was i!

My guess is that the massive Dhole Shipping will continue to squeeze the SPC until it's parent company admit that the game is up and sell out to Dhole

Remember, it's just business. The SPC are Australian owned and have no allegiance to the Island, if the sums no longer add up they will bale out

Not exactly Mystic Meg there

We all talk about there not being enough traffic to sustain 2 ferry companies but is that still the case?

Back in the day of IOM SP and Manx line? the Island was a FAR poorer place I ain't got the figures to hand but I would wager that the Islands wealth is large multiples of what it was then, and add the fact that most residents are now quite "flush" it does make you think?

You could also argue that in the past the IOM GOV did not want its residents going off island to protect local firms. Now that we have so many UK firms selling goods here (and the internet) and not paying taxes, that does not figure in the overall scheme of things.

Seems that Yes it still is the case!

just been confirmed on Manx Radio that mezaron is to cease their

sailings between lpool-dou this week,some people really have their finger on the pulse saying this days ago

ya cant beat the old jungle drums.

So anybody think that this episode has benefitted the IoM in the long term? The only ones who seem to have benefitted are Mezeron and Tesco's who took a short term profit. Stobarts & Graylaw may have but what costs did they incur so they could handle containers.

As a member of the general poulation I saw no decrease in prices at Tesco etc and for this year at least I have fewer choices of sailing to the UK as the SP have scapped on boat and there presumably is even less cover for the fast craft breaking down.

Next time something similar happens can those who live off the Island and are not affected STFU from telling me how such competition on the route is good for the Island etc etc

So, having seen off the competition, which can only mean that Mezeron were either not much cheaper or were not reliable enough, and having shed overheads in the form of jobs and one vessel, and cut timetables, ie operating expenses, especially to Liverpool, are we now going to see a fare reduction and a service reinstatement, or just more money into McQuarrie pockets?

Mmmm..... Not heard much from gazza or sean south about this yet! Wonder why?

What can I say? The SPCo had a shallow win - they got to cut back on services, vessels and costs on the back of this. I believe they've also squeezed ac ost cut on staff costs.

The real story here is that it showed that The SPCo is in an extremely precarious financial position proved by their panic at the loss of ten per cent of their freight trade. What would they do if Mezeron or someone else launches a proper RoRo service against them? They'll sink very fast(metaphorically). Perhaps you should ponder that!

So, having seen off the competition, which can only mean that Mezeron were either not much cheaper or were not reliable enough, and having shed overheads in the form of jobs and one vessel, and cut timetables, ie operating expenses, especially to Liverpool, are we now going to see a fare reduction and a service reinstatement, or just more money into McQuarrie pockets?

If I was the SP I would try and organise something in the short term with a blaze of publicity to get a lot of good PR and goodwill on the back of Mezeron. Whether that be reducing fares, adding more services and bringing back another vessel if only to cover TT peak etc. Basically something which basically says if we are left alone on this route look what you get in return.

The real story here is that it showed that The SPCo is in an extremely precarious financial position proved by their panic at the loss of ten per cent of their freight trade. What would they do if Mezeron or someone else launches a proper RoRo service against them? They'll sink very fast(metaphorically). Perhaps you should ponder that!

All we need to ponder is your lack of understanding of the issues, apparently.

RoRo?

User Agreement prevents that.

I think what it shows us is that the SPC is in a very strong position. Whether that is a good thing remains a subject of debate.

Edited by manxman8180

RoRo?

I think what it shows us is that the SPC is in a very strong position. Whether that is a good thing remains a subject of debate.

Maybe you could do with a better understanding of the issues yourself and rely less on the snide comments!

I believe the User Agreement prevents use of/gives the SPCo sole use/rights over the linkspans. Not quite the same thing considering that there are at least two RoRo vessels available to chrter (not far from the IoM) that do not need a conventional linkspan. Their ramps are designed for loading directly onto a level quayside or pier.

Edited by Sean South

All we need to ponder is your lack of understanding of the issues, apparently.

RoRo?

Perhaps you would care to quote the part of the agreement that specifically states that another operator may not use a RoRo vessel?

If they couldn't make money with LO-LO it isn't going to happen. You know that as well as I do.

Stop looking for ways out of the hole and admit that, despite all your apparent glee, it just isn't viable for another operator.

Go on, you will feel better.

EDIT - You have correctly identifed my poor choice of phrase re Ro-Ro - your turn now.

Edited by manxman8180

If they couldn't make money with LO-LO it isn't going to happen. You know that as well as I do.

Stop looking for ways out of the hole and admit that, despite all your apparent glee, it just isn't viable for another operator.

Go on, you will feel better.

I await your response to my previous post. And don't worry, I feel fine!