Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

I don't get your point... what's the tide got to do with it?

I'm no expert but I imagine that if the tide was out the vehicles would roll off the boat straight into the quay wall.

Regardless of whether the tide is in or out the ramp will still work effectively and the vehicles simply drive on and off directly onto the quay. What's the difficulty with that?

Well where are all the SP knockers today, IOMSP have certainly shut a few up and proved a point

The main issue so far seems to be that the too much profit was / is being squeezed out of the IOMSPCo domestic and freight services -- seemingly because the company is burdened with huge debt. Unless that issue has been resolved this is not over for the long run. Sooner or later use of the link-span will be challenged again.

The island needs freight and passenger services which are competitively priced. That will be especially important as oil prices inevitably massively increase - disproportionately increasing the cost of everything on the IOM and acting as an upward pressure on wages etc. A different IOMSPCo might be the best result ultimately. One run for the benefit of the island rather than for the benefit of a fund somewhere.

Mmmm..... Not heard much from gazza or sean south about this yet! Wonder why?

That could be because some of us have work todo in the day :rolleyes: and cant sit on a computer all day doing sod all :cool:

well as the steam packet had to re organize new prices with most of the companys that use them to safe gaurd there shipping, and no dowt graylaw got a good price drop,

and that graylaw and mezeron were at the start of this new route,

Then i would say they prob did what they started out to do

The island needs freight and passenger services which are competitively priced. That will be especially important as oil prices inevitably massively increase - disproportionately increasing the cost of everything on the IOM and acting as an upward pressure on wages etc. A different IOMSPCo might be the best result ultimately. One run for the benefit of the island rather than for the benefit of a fund somewhere.

I would not argue with that but prices are limited by the SP agreement and whilst they may not be competitively priced they must be reasonably competitive if Mezeron could not make the route profitable creaning off the top and having reduced running costs due to the sppeds and not carrying passengers.

Unfortunatly there is a balance that has to be struck which is between maximising the level of profit and provding a level of service as they are not necessarily wholly compatable. e.g offering a poorer level of service in terms of number of movements might lead to higher profits. How you manage and balance those two is the issue and depending where you view from will affect your judgement especially if you believe that like the shareholders believe and expect there to be a minimum level of acceptable profits as a user of the ferry I believe there should be minimum levels of service.

At present many have different views what those should be and the mechanism to control. Many believe the User Agreement was and is not the answer but I have not seen what I would consider to be a workable alternative. Or one that is not basically a user agreement in some other name or form. i.e. restrictions on others in return for a level of service.

I'm no expert but I imagine that if the tide was out the vehicles would roll off the boat straight into the quay wall.

Regardless of whether the tide is in or out the ramp will still work effectively and the vehicles simply drive on and off directly onto the quay. What's the difficulty with that?

one Manx example is a side loader - an internal ramp to one of two doors plus a smaller ramp to take up difference in tides (eg s per ramp for footies off the Ben)- not that much difference from the side loading on Chunnel - there they can handle coaches as well as cars and small vans - however cost is that carrying capacity not as high as a RoRo

one Manx example is a side loader - an internal ramp to one of two doors plus a smaller ramp to take up difference in tides (eg s per ramp for footies off the Ben)- not that much difference from the side loading on Chunnel - there they can handle coaches as well as cars and small vans - however cost is that carrying capacity not as high as a RoRo

Is this not fairly irrelevent as we have seen that Mezeron could not make a profit from running just freight. And that is when they presumably taking the cream of the work and at a time when overheads were favourable. Why do we suddenly think a new start up with a side loader would be any different.

As far as I can see all that Mezeron have done is leave the IoM with a poorer service and reduce the likely hood of anybody else looking at the route in the near future. Presumably it has also left the SP feeling a bit more secure and blase because of that.

The side loading ferries were an ingenious design but was used purely by SP. Having side loading ships would be perfect would be if there was no tide, but the ramps used on ro ro vessels, stern or side loading, can only be used within narrow parameters. That why there are link spans, effectively making the quayside the same height to the ship what ever the state of tide.

I'm talking about a vessel with a ramp from the stern not a side loader..

@Manxbaz: You didn't answer my query in response to your earlier post re the user agreement prohibiting RoRo vessels?

It wasn't Manxbaz, it was me.

And I did - I think my edit went in at the same time as your next post.

See we can all make mistakes :)

As an aside however, I don't actually know what it says in the UA, is a copy available anywhere?

It wasn't Manxbaz, it was me.

And I did - I think my edit went in at the same time as your next post.

See we can all make mistakes :)

Fair enough. Maybe you'll dispense with the snide remarks in future then?:

All we need to ponder is your lack of understanding of the issues, apparently.