Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the Isle of Man is too small a market to sustain several competing ferry services, although I'd agree that the owners of SPCo are grossly abusing that position. I think only legislation could realistically address that. Would like to see something along those lines in the manifestos of our prospective MHKs.

acl ships even with their long quarter ramps still need to be tied up along side in a dock system where the water level is always fairly constant ranging by maybe a couple of feet. The tidal range on the island is measured in metres that is why our linkspans are longer than those in Belfast etc. where the tide doesn't move as much

Union boss - who had nothing to do with the outcome of the situation and achieved nothing but a big expenses bill in all of this - makes comments about an island he knows nothing about while happily hugging the limelight and still spectacularly failing to even once address the real issue: the behaviour of the Racket and their unpreparedness:

http://www.three.fm/newscentre/isle-of-man-news/rmt-union-secretary-says-mezeron-termination-is-cause-for-celebration-2981

Must be really nice if in your head it's still 1900...

ACL ships are ocean going vessels. A ship small enough to fit in Douglas harbour would not be able to have a ramp large enough to work in all states of the tide.

Yes, and mighty large ships the ACLs are as well.

I realise your point, I was trying to give an example. But, let’s be honest, the Racket managed to service the population very well for many years with side loaders in all levels of tide, and that's old technology. But I realise you know this; I’m not trying to preach…

There are ways and means to circumvent the user agreement with regards to using the lankspan.

Union boss - who had nothing to do with the outcome of the situation and achieved nothing but a big expenses bill in all of this - makes comments about an island he knows nothing about while happily hugging the limelight and still spectacularly failing to even once address the real issue: the behaviour of the Racket and their unpreparedness:

http://www.three.fm/...elebration-2981

Must be really nice if in your head it's still 1900...

according to the radio this morning (manx radio) he said iomsp need to improve their services (amongst other things)

http://www.manxradio...d.aspx?id=50182

but dont let the facts get in the way of a good old fashioned rant

Edited by lfc84