Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

If ferry ticket prices increase I expect airport passenger statistics will be going up.

The more people fly, the more competitive and viable flying will be. Freight meanwhile is already competitively looking after itself .

Would it be such a big deal if there was a service for vehicles and foot passengers which ran only some days ? Does it have to be every day just because it has been like that previously ?

Also - does an operator really need to actually own vessels ?

The more people fly, the more competitive and viable flying will be. Freight meanwhile is already competitively looking after itself .

Would it be such a big deal if there was a service for vehicles and foot passengers which ran only some days ? Does it have to be every day just because it has been like that previously ?

This is kind of getting to my thinking. The Snaefell is sat in Liverpool doing nothing, Manannin is buggering off soon and some slow boat is going to eb doing Birkenhead. So, the people want to go to Pier Head - use the Snaefell to take them.

Give the people what they want and more will travel, and probably be willing to pay a bit more for the opportunity.

I guess it does when the re-finance with the Portuguese banks came around.....squeeky bum time??

Its the pension fund that I feel the most sympathy for...people who properly grafted for the company who will get shafted the most.

I don't expect passengers will care if it's the port's responsibility rather than SP. If ferry ticket prices increase I expect airport passenger statistics will be going up at the expense of SP.

I've always found it difficult to get my car in the hold on the aircraft used these days :lol:

Not wanting to stir up some 1/2 truths, or the like... Can someone with suitable knowledge and know how, find out who now actually owns the Steam Racket?

The reason I ask is that I heard just this week that Macquarie recently sold the company, can some one either squish or confirm this some how.

Not wanting to stir up some 1/2 truths, or the like... Can someone with suitable knowledge and know how, find out who now actually owns the Steam Racket?

The reason I ask is that I heard just this week that Macquarie recently sold the company, can some one either squish or confirm this some how.

I understand that Macquarie sold it to the Macquarie Bank Pension Trustees, or some similar Pension Fund, but that the investment continues to be managed by MacQuarie - i'll see if I can find the press statement...

ETA: Didn't have to go far: http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/About-Us/

ETFA: And this is the background: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/mhks_debate_subject_of_steam_packet_ownership_1_1791555

Edited by gilf_uk

I understand that Macquarie sold it to the Macquarie Bank Pension Trustees, or some similar Pension Fund, but that the investment continues to be managed by MacQuarie - i'll see if I can find the press statement...

ETA: Didn't have to go far: http://www.steam-packet.com/SteamPacket/About-Us/

ETFA: And this is the background: http://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/business/mhks_debate_subject_of_steam_packet_ownership_1_1791555

Thanks for that... knew that there was something in it.

A fixed term borrowing facility of £232m (which included a number of

separate facilities) was taken out by MIOM Limited in 2005. Only the

interest has been repaid and the capital amount is repayable in October

2010. Discussions regarding the renewal of this facility have commenced.

The Company sees the Office of Fair Trading’s enquiry into the Company

as another pressure on the Company’s ability to refinance its debt and

hence to continue to deliver the quality and frequency of service

currently provided.

Just seen this in the Tynwald Select Committee report. Just coincidence perhaps that at loantime, a rival business pops up and all hell breaks loose. ;)

The tynwald report is a coupla years old however so the deal may already have been done.

currently provided.[/i]

I'm guessing that is the Company's standard response:

The OFT investigation into our company.... adds pressure to our ability to deliver a frequent service.

The loss of our freight contract.... adds pressure to our ability to deliver a frequent service.

It would appear to me that any inference in the status-quo with the SPCo means the MW & Co roll out these thinly veiled threats.

" Could the SP. not rent its vessels?"

Not if it wants to borrow money from another Mc Quaarrie Co and pay interest to that Co as income, thus reducing its IOM based profits and Taxes and prove that its operating costs justify the fares it charges?

Ive got to say theres some silly things getting mentioned here sit oin the car deck in your car for a smaller price COME ON

weve travelled on st pkt ships for nearly 3 decades and have seen the good the bad and the ugly,from the cold rusty puke buckets of the 80's and 90's to the present fleet,things have got better over the years and of course there is still downsides like slow fastcraft,the heysham gangway farce but on the whole as a family who like to get away they are only some negatives,sometimes weve been lucky with pricing sometimes not so,depending on where we are going and what our onward plans are,if travelling by foot ang heading to an airport we will take the liverpool sailing ok recently theyve not been very fast and some of their staff leave a lot to be desired but again it gets you from a-b,when we are taking our car away we use heysham route which we find much better their staff have a more professional mature outlook,sometimes we will buy food onboard sometimes we will take our own,havnt had to use the coach system for foot passengers but many of our friends have and do say it's getting a bit silly now 9 months later,never had to use freight but again know people who have and complained of shoddy customer service (maybe they should take a leaf out of Ben and terminal staff)who on the whole have always been good with us,don't know how all this will pan out i do know that my grocery bills certainly havnt gotten any cheaper from TESCO and SHOPRITE even if they are bringing their produce in cheaper and dont think they will,living on an Island we always tend to pay more than mainlanders wether it be shopping, travelling etc dont think it will ever change in my lifetime,but think it's a bad bad idea to bin the island lifeline (boats), we also use planes from time to time but again costly unreliable ever since the good old days of manx airlines,at least at the minute i can jump on a boat morning or night so come on people sort these problems out and give the public what they want before we all end up like pappillon jumping off douglas head with our bags of overpriced coconuts.

Ive got to say theres some silly things getting mentioned here sit oin the car deck in your car for a smaller price COME ON

weve travelled on st pkt ships for nearly 3 decades and have seen the good the bad and the ugly,from the cold rusty puke buckets of the 80's and 90's to the present fleet,things have got better over the years and of course there is still downsides like slow fastcraft,the heysham gangway farce but on the whole as a family who like to get away they are only some negatives,sometimes weve been lucky with pricing sometimes not so,depending on where we are going and what our onward plans are,if travelling by foot ang heading to an airport we will take the liverpool sailing ok recently theyve not been very fast and some of their staff leave a lot to be desired but again it gets you from a-b,when we are taking our car away we use heysham route which we find much better their staff have a more professional mature outlook,sometimes we will buy food onboard sometimes we will take our own,havnt had to use the coach system for foot passengers but many of our friends have and do say it's getting a bit silly now 9 months later,never had to use freight but again know people who have and complained of shoddy customer service (maybe they should take a leaf out of Ben and terminal staff)who on the whole have always been good with us,don't know how all this will pan out i do know that my grocery bills certainly havnt gotten any cheaper from TESCO and SHOPRITE even if they are bringing their produce in cheaper and dont think they will,living on an Island we always tend to pay more than mainlanders wether it be shopping, travelling etc dont think it will ever change in my lifetime,but think it's a bad bad idea to bin the island lifeline (boats), we also use planes from time to time but again costly unreliable ever since the good old days of manx airlines,at least at the minute i can jump on a boat morning or night so come on people sort these problems out and give the public what they want before we all end up like pappillon jumping off douglas head with our bags of overpriced coconuts.

You are missing one thing, This is a forum and not a debating chamber so dont expect all the posts to be up to your obviously very high educational standards.

*****(Will the mono rail go to Liverpool or Heysham ?) :P

Edited by Manxman2000

A fixed term borrowing facility of £232m (which included a number of

separate facilities) was taken out by MIOM Limited in 2005. Only the

interest has been repaid and the capital amount is repayable in October

2010. Discussions regarding the renewal of this facility have commenced.

currently provided.

Just seen this in the Tynwald Select Committee report. Just coincidence perhaps that at loantime, a rival business pops up and all hell breaks loose. ;)

The tynwald report is a coupla years old however so the deal may already have been done.

Fancy niping round the corner to Tynwald library and getting copies of the accounts from the select committee report and posting them on the forum?