Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Maybe if Caledonian MacBrayne's offical view on the IoM route was allowed to be published it would cheer a lot up on here and send the SP into sheer panic.

Edited by jimbms

Maybe if Caledonian MacBrayne's offical view on the IoM route was allowed to be published it would cheer a lot up on here and send the SP into sheer panic.

and if that's not available they could try the shipping company Caledonian MacBrayne :D

Ok edited to correct and to the two who said would I care to elaborate, please reread what I said for the answer.

In fact the technology is so outdated thats why most of the freight in the world is moved by container, which as it happens is lifted on and off ships. The man clearly believes the manx public are morons !

Or maybe you want to have a go you are not prepared to accept anything he says.

Most freight around the world may be by containers but we are not talking about shipping internationally in massive carriers we are talking about short haul transport. From a lay persons point of view intrinsically what MW says about containers appear about right as when I travel I see an awful lot of goods being shipped between UK and France, UK and Ireland on ro-ro

Fair dues Lost Login, you're putting up a great defence for Mr Woodward. He must be pleased with you. If he's so pissed off with the crane system and the uneven playing field, could you ask him why he doesn't even up the game and let them use the linkspans so they're both even?

Edited by Sean South

It is very difficult to accept based on the fact that at only 40% capacity, and after paying over the odds for a sister company's cast off fast craft, he is still making 30% profit.

You have lost two freight customers. Get over it. Treat the ones you still have with the best possible service, and try and win your lost customers (and some new ones) back. But most importantly, stop threatening people!

Fair dues Lost Login, you're putting up a great defence for Mr Woodward. He must be pleased with you. If he's so pissed off with the crane system and the uneven playing field, could you ask him why he doesn't even up the game and let them use the linkspans so they're both even?

If I knew him I might but the answer is basically obvious. He is there to get the best deal for his company. Getting rid of a competitor or getting compensation whether deserved or not is obviously in the interest of his company. That I presume is all he cares about.

If he does let them use the link span it would I am sure be on the basis that the yser agreement is cancelled by agreement. If the SP did it unilaterally presumably the government would try and enforce. If that happens then in my view it would indicate how precarious our ferry services are because it would indicate that the SP believe that they can not make money even if they provide just the minimum number of services required under the user agreement and want to reduce. Presumably any replacement party ight be of the same opinion.

I have to admit I do not think the the SP will go under, obviously they have lost revenue so it will have a knock on affect. How much or how little is pre speculation. It is an opportunity though for the SP to go to the government cap in hand and play the innocent victim card and they are doing that to the best of the ability. Will government ignore or cave in? Well there is an election next year and MHK's get lots of moans about level of service going down and price of fair going up I would not be surprised if Government bow.

It is very difficult to accept based on the fact that at only 40% capacity, and after paying over the odds for a sister company's cast off fast craft, he is still making 30% profit.

You have lost two freight customers. Get over it. Treat the ones you still have with the best possible service, and try and win your lost customers (and some new ones) back. But most importantly, stop threatening people!

I have lost nobody I run my own CSP/TSP in the Island! I understand the corporate game and like it or not that is what the SP are playing.

I do not care what or who runs the ferry service to the Island. I want like the majority of posters I guess a reliable service with a reasonable frquency at a reasonable price. What is a reasonable frequency and a reasonable price we may all have different views on just as we have different views on the use of fast craft.

My concern is that if left purely to competition and without some sort of intervention then the Island will not have a regular, reliable, year round services with control over the costs. I believe the Island needs but how you marry both together I do not know.

Will government ignore or cave in? Well there is an election next year and MHK's get lots of moans about level of service going down and price of fair going up I would not be surprised if Government bow.

Defending the useless agreement and opposing free enterprise could, just as likely, turn out to be an unpopular stance which would speak of political stasis and support for vested interests.

Not that the election makes much difference because the same continuity govt will be returned no matter what policy decisions are taken.

Tried to book a car + over christmas hols on a 5 day ticket £310 have they increased the fares already ?

going easy jet now, £112 all in !! Hire car £120 Sorted :rolleyes:

And i think my return flight is an extra one on the monday!

saved driving heysham to liverpool and back :)

Edited by DRIVER

I still reckon this is all part of Doehle Group's plan to buy the Racket:

1. Poach some big Racket Freight Customers;

2. If the Racket increase fares for passengers, traffic will fall, less profit for the Racket;

3. Aussies get fed up with the prospect of only reasonable profits and decide to sell;

4. Doehle Group buy the Racket at a good price;

5. We are back to a monopoly situation (even more so as the Racket and Mezeron will be one) - just a different monopolist.

5. We are back to a monopoly situation (even more so as the Racket and Mezeron will be one) - just a different monopolist.

Yes. But minus the need to service a massive debt from profits.

Mezeron are not the only people who have been looking at competing on the freight side - and there is now a precedence for freight competition.

Another monopolist would always face the potential of competition.