Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Why not impose a levy on all freight coming to the island, and use the money to subsidize passenger fares?

Posted on 3 Nov:

I agree, but what's to stop Mezeron doing the same should they take over the SPC ?

Maybe a solution would be for the government not to have a UA, but to charge for the use of the linkspans and hand that money back to whichever operator in the form of a passenger subsidy. That would leave the business open to competition but still promote a passenger service. Bearing in mind that we still have a viable tourist industry which needs to be nurtured

Do try to keep up

@Cheeky Boy,

Not quite the same as what I suggested. I think think some form of user agreement will be necessary to guarantee the lifeline to the island.

But do we really need the UA? The lifeline argument is an old one trotted out all the time in the past.

We now have Mezeron bringing in foodstuffs and if you personally need to get off the rock there is the airport.

Its a fair question. I am concerned ,however, about the longevity of the Mezeron operation. Also,I am married with two children. Getting four people off the island, and then transporting them from place to place is far easier (and up till now cheaper) in a car and on a ferry then flying and having to rely on trains, taxis, rental cars etc. Because of the limited market and unprofitability of the route, I think the Steampacket is probably the least of all evils.

Its a fair question. I am concerned ,however, about the longevity of the Mezeron operation. Also,I am married with two children. Getting four people off the island, and then transporting them from place to place is far easier (and up till now cheaper) in a car and on a ferry then flying and having to rely on trains, taxis, rental cars etc. Because of the limited market and unprofitability of the route, I think the Steampacket is probably the least of all evils.

I agree that on the face of it the IOMSP may be slightly cheaper at the moment for a family of 4, as I have, but I have seen the way my brood get through money on the boat to pass the time and have worked out that the overall costs are very close.

As far as spending money in airport lounges is concerned to balance the argument, on the Island it would be hard to spend more than the cost of a paper and in the UK I, as a heavy smoker, always check through JUST before you have to, so there is no time to spend. :)

ETA From what has been posted on here I would hardly call the route unprofitable, we all are thinking about the 80s it ain't like that here anymore. The population is generally "flush" now.

@Cheeky Boy,

Not quite the same as what I suggested. I think think some form of user agreement will be necessary to guarantee the lifeline to the island.

But do we really need the UA? The lifeline argument is an old one trotted out all the time in the past.

We now have Mezeron bringing in foodstuffs and if you personally need to get off the rock there is the airport.

but don't you think it is more civilised to take your own car, take as much stuff as you want, take who and what (dogs) you want, and not get told what or how much or how big you can take and not have to abandon your car for the duration or get someone (or taxi) to take you to the airport, take your shoes off and get looked at like a criminal before you even go anywhere ?

just drive up, hand over your reference, get your boarding cards and you're away, walk around, get whatever you want to eat or drink (or have your own picnic) have a sleep in your cabin, take the air outside !

no contest :lol:

Thirty years ago when we had a bit of tourism we also had two shipping operators and we all know the results of that fiasco, just lets face it the island ain't big enough for two companies to survive, one will end up folding. To have any hope of a continued lifeline to and from the Island then we should support the IOMSP even if they are a bit over the top with costs.

A good example of the travel situation here is the way Fly be operate, not enough passengers then declare a technical fault to cancel a flight

Edited by ThankU

mezeron would take the staff from the steampacket it needs to offer the services required, no excess baggage though?.

Mr bell the minister for 'economic development' has had a few words on the subject. he would need to be the minister of economic status quo, or if you are trying to start a business he would be the minister of economic stifling in the name of protecting whats there. we seem to be able to keep 20 coffee shops going though?? they must breed at night. :D

Just a quick question, do the posters on here use the IOMSP that often? I for one use it about once or maybe twice a year as I find it far more convenient to fly.

Even when I do use it, I could just as easily fly and hire a car, just that I like driving my own.

What is every one else's usage?

Currently on the Ben once every 2 months. It was cheaper for me to take 3 people, a car, and have a cabin, than it was for 2 on a plane (based on red eye out and last back).

Although I confess I haven't checked what current prices are, but I’d guess it's not much difference. I only flew the once recently, and was disappointed when the 'Fly maybe' return to IOM was cancelled, as was the next flight, then the next, eventually they flew 3 plane loads back on some sort of large(ish) jet. Thus, price and reliability of the Racket means that's the way I travel.

I'd guess that if anyone didn't sail, it would be the Steam Packet, purely due to their requirement for passenger safety.

Sadly, Health & Safety has cut the balls off the packet, the days of sailing no matter what have sadly gone.

Is it health and safety or are the restrictions partly based on what conditions the SP have insured or registered to sale in. Presumably it might be cheaper if you restrict sailings to force 8 or below rather than force 10?

You could be right... I made the assumption based on how H&S appeared to have gone OTT at my last place of work... It could just as easily be insurance.

Thirty years ago when we had a bit of tourism we also had two shipping operators and we all know the results of that fiasco, just lets face it the island ain't big enough for two companies to survive, one will end up folding. To have any hope of a continued lifeline to and from the Island then we should support the IOMSP even if they are a bit over the top with costs.

A good example of the travel situation here is the way Fly be operate, not enough passengers then declare a technical fault to cancel a flight

You hit the nail on the head "Thirty years ago" It is not like that now most islanders have a large disposable part of their income NOW

Lets just see.

Just a quick question, do the posters on here use the IOMSP that often? I for one use it about once or maybe twice a year as I find it far more convenient to fly.

Even when I do use it, I could just as easily fly and hire a car, just that I like driving my own.

What is every one else's usage?

Currently on the Ben once every 2 months. It was cheaper for me to take 3 people, a car, and have a cabin, than it was for 2 on a plane (based on red eye out and last back).

Although I confess I haven't checked what current prices are, but I’d guess it's not much difference. I only flew the once recently, and was disappointed when the 'Fly maybe' return to IOM was cancelled, as was the next flight, then the next, eventually they flew 3 plane loads back on some sort of large(ish) jet. Thus, price and reliability of the Racket means that's the way I travel.

Did you factor the amount spent while on the boat?

They certainly were the days! I can remember taking 10 hrs from Liverpool to Douglas in a Force 10/11 on the old Ben side-loader.

Did that happen frequently? I remember being on a voyage on the old Ben precisely like that (perhaps the same one?), where we sailed to Peel (because it could not get into Douglas at the time) then back again. Mid seventies, not sure what year exactly

The last 'interesting' sailing I had was on the Lady of Man (side loader). The Ben from Heysham had been cancelled, so they bussed everyone to Liverpool and over a period of hours (whilst people were on the move Southwards) they got the Lady out of dock, fuelled her up, stocked up with food, did short trials in the Mersey, then everyone got aboard, if I remember right, circa midnight. We eventually got to Douglas around 6am(ish).

There was plenty of pissed off and ill people, but they all got home, albeit some what late.