Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Nice to see Tesco's overnight delivery just arriving at the harbour. Would have been empty shelves in Tesco's today if it was up to the IOMSPC as they cancelled last nights sailing!!

Yes, and the Kalana left Liverpool around 6pm last night. I observed her sheltering off the East coast of Anglesey late last night and sailing North towards the Island this morning. The crews of these Estonian vessels are not afraid to set sail in rough weather in contrast to the crap that we have nowadays at the SPC - they seem able only to hand out flyers at Tesco.

That's the downside of running a combined freight and passenger service. A dedicated freight vessel can sail in much rougher weather than is allowed for passenger vessels. I guess the reliability factor didn't come into it when there was no alternative. There were plenty of people saying the Ben was a bad idea at the time for this very reason.

In reading a link to a Hansard on another threat, it was asked in Tynwald if the Government had any contingency plan in place if the IOMSPC should fail. Now, to everyone else, having 1 percieved 'life line' to the Island, you would think that the Govt would have some kind of basic formulated plan.

The Chief Minister:

""Mr President, in the very, very unlikely scenario that might happen, no, we do not have a contingency plan, except that we know where to go to get the assistance required. I have to say, in most cases that is freight, which is actually quite easy to pick up, because, of course, freight is a very profitable business. The difficulty may well result in our passenger services, and that in itself, hopefully, would be short term. But I have to say that I think the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, through all the difficulties over the century and a bit, have actually served this Island very well, and I think it would be much better if we actually took a positive and supportive attitude to what they do, Several Members: Hear, hear.) whilst accepting there are occasions when we criticise what they do, to ensure that we continue to have and enjoy daily services, sir.""

So the government did recognise, even after two select committee reports, that there maybe a possibility that one day the company would find itself struggling for survival and might go bust.

I hope they are looking at a contignecy plan now!

http://www.tynwald.org.im/papers/hansards/2009-2010/th20102009.pdf (Page 15)

Nice to see Tesco's overnight delivery just arriving at the harbour. Would have been empty shelves in Tesco's today if it was up to the IOMSPC as they cancelled last nights sailing!!

Tesco have a time limit for delivery on foods etc, Mezerons boat had been loaded yesterday morning then had a 14hr sailing to the IOM, seeing as Tescos food is not the best for being fresh wonder what todays delivery is like, the milk could now be a bit cheesy

Edited by ThankU

Tesco have a time limit for delivery on foods etc, Mezerons boat had been loaded yesterday morning then had a 14hr sailing to the IOM, seeing as Tescos food is not the best for being fresh wonder what todays delivery is like, the milk could now be a bit cheesy

Considering the milk is local that was a piss poor example

the milk could now be a bit cheesy

Isn't most of the milk from our own creamery anyways?

No

Its says on the milk we use

British Semi-Skimmed from Mixed Sources

Can you please tell us which brand of milk you use please?

Presumably organic?

Milk and diary products are prseumably a great quandry for the enviromentalist in the IoM as either they can purchase local milk and feel guilty that it is not organic or buy organic milk that is shipped in but then have to wory about the food miles!

Milk and diary products are prseumably a great quandry for the enviromentalist in the IoM as either they can purchase local milk and feel guilty that it is not organic or buy organic milk that is shipped in but then have to wory about the food miles!

Who gives a toss whether milk is organic or not? The only reason Tesco's don't like stocking local milk is that its twice the price of imported milk. I'm pretty sure that principles and Tesco's don't really mix.

Edited by hboy

the milk could now be a bit cheesy

Isn't most of the milk from our own creamery anyways?

No

Its says on the milk we use

British Semi-Skimmed from Mixed Sources

Can you please tell us which brand of milk you use please?

TESCO BRITISH SEMI SKIMMED MILK

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/shelves/Fresh_Milk_In_Tesco.html

Edited by ThankU