Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

However, as well as increased fuel and 'stress' on the engines, you would also have to factor in the ridiculously low speed they now have to proceed up the Mersey estuary.

were not all 'old' sailing times quoted from the Mersey bar and not the departure from Pier head

A point of history.

Can some one with Steam Racket History knowledge remember when the last Lady of Man arrived here and sailed for Liverpool the first time?

I was young at the time so my facts may be out, BUT... I seem to remember the Lady making the Liverpool trip in around 3 hours, but didn't continue with that speed due to fuel burnt and obvious costs.

And, I believe the record for the IOM to Liverpool trip might still be held by the Steam ship Viking, at circa 2 & 1/2 hours, is that right???

Her Maiden Voyage was the morning sailing to Liverpool on 30 June 1976

With her V12 pielstick engines she could possibly make Liverpool in 3 Hours. she made 21 kts on the Skelmorlie mile on the Clyde but was certainly a lot faster than that.

S.S. BEN-MY-CHREE (3) of 1908 Speed during trials 26.64 knots was probably the fastest conventional ship.

which one made it back to Douglas from Liverpool just before the start of the sailors strike, in something like 2hr45m ?

Sounds like the Manxman, but I will stand to be corrected

The Manxman was out of service by the time of the big 1988 strike. Unless it was a previous seamen's strike.

which one made it back to Douglas from Liverpool just before the start of the sailors strike, in something like 2hr45m ?

Sounds like the Manxman, but I will stand to be corrected

The Manxman was out of service by the time of the big 1988 strike. Unless it was a previous seamen's strike.

Yes, Manxman was out of service in 1981 So I am corrected.

A point of history.

Can some one with Steam Racket History knowledge remember when the last Lady of Man arrived here and sailed for Liverpool the first time?

I was young at the time so my facts may be out, BUT... I seem to remember the Lady making the Liverpool trip in around 3 hours, but didn't continue with that speed due to fuel burnt and obvious costs.

And, I believe the record for the IOM to Liverpool trip might still be held by the Steam ship Viking, at circa 2 & 1/2 hours, is that right???

Her Maiden Voyage was the morning sailing to Liverpool on 30 June 1976

With her V12 pielstick engines she could possibly make Liverpool in 3 Hours. she made 21 kts on the Skelmorlie mile on the Clyde but was certainly a lot faster than that.

S.S. BEN-MY-CHREE (3) of 1908 Speed during trials 26.64 knots was probably the fastest conventional ship.

So another record for the packet is the fastest apology made by the CEO but then he may not be finished yet, could get quicker :rolleyes:

Edited by Manxman2000

However, as well as increased fuel and 'stress' on the engines, you would also have to factor in the ridiculously low speed they now have to proceed up the Mersey estuary.

were not all 'old' sailing times quoted from the Mersey bar and not the departure from Pier head

Several factors to bear in mind - times quoted were usually Mersey Bar to off Douglas Head rather than dock to dock. Also, vessels are slower in the Mersey than previously and slower into Douglas as they have to swing wide around the extended breakwater and then turn round inside the harbour.

I think the fastest I ever did Liverpool to Douglas was around 3hrs 25 mins dock to dock on board Lady of Mann (1930). She was late leaving - most unusual - and made up the time by travelling noticeably quicker than the usual 21 knot cruising speed. Having said that, the last Lady could move along and I have done some quick trips aboard her. Very manoeuvrable and good acceleration - leaving the outside berth on Victoria Pier she was usually going well before she even passed the end of the Battery Pier - and as for 'handbrake turns' inside Heysham Harbour - impressive!

The IOMSP can Charter in ships and have done for a few years, TT period they normally charter extra ships and at times when the Ben is being in Dock for a refit. There may be a restriction on the SP as to how many charters they can have coming into Douglas.

Tesco must be well pissed off now, Mezzies boat still not in

http://www.gov.im/tourism/webcam/webcam.aspx?webcam=3

Oh shes in Now

Edited by ThankU

Fair dues to Bill Malarkey. He summed up the position fairly accurately.

It's funny how Allen Bell changes his tune to suit the union guys....

Sean you say Allen Bell changed tunes - what was his tune before this? I thought that he had been rather quiet.

I did get the feeling that he was happier talking generalities. I didn't hear him promoting "Freedom to Flourish" in terms of freight services.

Edited by manshimajin

Unions members from the Steampacket look for support at House of Keys meeting

http://www.manxtube.com/video/2410/Steampacket-latest

Fair dues to Bill Malarkey. He summed up the position fairly accurately.

It's funny how Allen Bell changes his tune to suit the union guys....

id have to agree he came across well,

thing i noted.

the link that somebody posted about the profits from the SP.

total 22 million now did somebody say that was before taking into effect the debt payments.

bill mararkey said 10-14million in intrsted payments alone take in to effect the lose of tescos of 10-16 million and you can see why to be honest they are up shit creek.