Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

<snip> but is the IOMSPC any more dependable than Mezeron when it's rough?

Didn't we cover this earlier?

From what I understood, the Ben might be hindered by insurance issues with regards to passenger safety that the Mezeron service wouldn't be, thus the Mezeron service would, more than likely, sail when the Ben wouldn't.

There has been at least one occasion this week (maybe even two?) where the Mezeron ship sailed but the Ben didn't.

Note: The Kalana AIS appears to show it as still in the Seaforth dock, Liverpool. But this 'looks' like a ghost signal, so it's true location is a bit of a guess right now...

Edited by Andy730

From what I understood, the Ben might be hindered by insurance issues with regards to passenger safety that the Mezeron service wouldn't be, thus the Mezeron service would, more than likely, sail when the Ben wouldn't.

There has been at least one occasion this week (maybe even two?) where the Mezeron ship sailed but the Ben didn't.

Crews on the Mezeron ships are foreign and their working hours are not controlled like those of the SP or UK freight drivers

Note: The Kalana AIS appears to show it as still in the Seaforth dock, Liverpool. But this 'looks' like a ghost signal, so it's true location is a bit of a guess right now...

Graylaw sent their staff home today and told them to report for work tonight, hope they get paid overtime in this cost cutting exercise

won't be worth going to Tesco tomorrow then !

I suppose there's been some overtime at Ramsey Bakery though

Kalana appears to be leaving Seaforth right now, and the Kurkse tied up in their 'normal' place.

I wonder how long it takes to unload a container, drive it to Tesco, then un-pack and stock the shelves... Oh dear, that sounds like I should have an anorak :lol:

Graylaw sent their staff home today and told them to report for work tonight, hope they get paid overtime in this cost cutting exercise

Both their ships are in Liverpool.... why return to work tonight? I'd say that they'd be expected to return for the 05:30 arrival tomorrow, as normal.

I just don't buy it myself. I think they have just fleeced the freight side for too long and Graylaw have a big enough slice of the pie to make it worthwhile seeking other forms of transport. I don't buy that Mezeron / Doehle have just taken a gamble on offering a new service and then picked up the Graylaw business. I would be more likely to believe that the service has come about following discussions between various parties.

Including IoM Government in my opinion. If you recall the Sefton Group was pitching for Mezeron back in 2007 and it has several high profile ex Ministers on its Board. They lost the bid but I would say that this whole pincer movement on the SP has been going on for quite some time and that its a deliberate objective of our government. It must be bloody obvious, even to our own government, that the debt position of the SP has presented a potential loss to the Island for a while and that more control is needed over any business operating the sea routes.

a pick up with a 6ft trailer on the SP booked yesterday £987.00 1 way

Pick up on its own £500.00 1 way.

And they wonder why they may lose people to mezeron

Gazza, what do you mean by pick-up, a half-cab jobbo or?

Wicked prices, I'm in the wrong business.