Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

but is the IOMSPC any more dependable than Mezeron when it's rough?

Didn't we cover this earlier?

From what I understood, the Ben might be hindered by insurance issues with regards to passenger safety that the Mezeron service wouldn't be, thus the Mezeron service would, more than likely, sail when the Ben wouldn't.

I was intrigued by the negative comments of some staff in M&S about the lack of goods getting through.

On your insurance point Andy - if there is an insurance issue is there anything that prevents the IOMSPC saying "we will sail with freight - but due to insurance we cannot carry you passengers today?" . The passengers would be in the same situation whether the Ben didn't sail or whether it sailed without them but the IOMSPC would be able to deliver its freight quota?

Edited by manshimajin

From what I understood, the Ben might be hindered by insurance issues with regards to passenger safety that the Mezeron service wouldn't be, thus the Mezeron service would, more than likely, sail when the Ben wouldn't.

I was intrigued by the negative comments of some staff in M&S about the lack of goods getting through.

On your insurance point Andy - if there is an insurance issue is there anything that prevents the IOMSPC saying "we will sail with freight - but due to insurance we cannot carry you passengers today?" . The passengers would be in the same situation whether the Ben didn't sail or whether it sailed without them but the IOMSPC would be able to deliver its freight quota?

Yes, a very valid point... (now why didn't I think of that? :) )

Just had a thought... Maybe it has been considered, but if not taking the passengers & their cars etc, the trip reaches a point where there'd be no profit in sailing??

Interesting about the M&S comments... it's somewhat strange as it's not the first time that they've not had a delivery due to the weather, but perhaps there's more of an issue now that perhaps they've 'gone with out' and yet Tesco and Shoprite have received their delivery?

Edited by Andy730

Just had a thought... Maybe it has been considered, but if not taking the passengers & their cars etc, the trip reaches a point where there'd be no profit in sailing??

But I thought the whole issue is that they make their money from freight and the piffling car and driver are a mere inconvenience that they are obliged to service... So your theory about sailing sans passangers would be valid IMO.

Interesting about the M&S comments... it's somewhat strange as it's not the first time that they've not had a delivery due to the weather, but perhaps there's more of an issue now that perhaps they've 'gone with out' and yet Tesco and Shoprite have received their delivery?

wasn't BMC the first ship back in with freight yesterday whilst the Estonians were only in this morning after a longer gap ?

wasn't BMC the first ship back in with freight yesterday whilst the Estonians were only in this morning after a longer gap ?

Whilst I don't have a tally card showing who has what score... I believe that both Mezeron and SpCo missed one sailing each on Thursday. A quick look at the AIS web sites clearly showed that the Irish Sea was some what devoid of anything while the wind blew... All apart from a rather large tanker doing circles off Anglesey that is. The Ben might have been first in yesterday, but over all, this last week it's quite clear that Mezeron sails when the Ben doesn't.

And, this point brings us back to what we talked about earlier, i.e. remember when they sailed no matter what... This doesn't seem to be the case these days, why this is, isn't as clear as I thought earlier today. ;)

But I thought the whole issue is that they make their money from freight and the piffling car and driver are a mere inconvenience that they are obliged to service... So your theory about sailing sans passangers would be valid IMO.

Yes, yet another very valid point... And that brings us back to "Why don't they sail, when other vessels do?" and I’m not talking about the recent bit of wind we had this last day or so, I’m talking about in general they appear not to sail when it's not that bad.

Could it be something that's particular to the Ben itself?? As, in an earlier post by myself, I mentioned a sailing some years ago where the Ben didn't sail due to the weather, but we DID sail on the Lady of Man from Liverpool.

(That must be a few years back as we still had the Lady) :D

Not sure if both companies had same problems of if the steam bandits would have had the same problems but I nipped to Tesco 8am this morning for some of the small aroanges chillis (unfortunately shopshite and robinsons don't stock them) all veg shelves totally empty

And, this point brings us back to what we talked about earlier, i.e. remember when they sailed no matter what... This doesn't seem to be the case these days, why this is, isn't as clear as I thought earlier today. ;)

What isn't clear?

You are comparing 'apples and oranges', so to speak. The vessels are completely different and built for different purposes.

Of course the likes of the Lady of Mann were capable of handling the worse weather better than a larger / higher mixed purpose vessel such as the BMC. Also, many of the 'issues' over sailing in high winds relate to the ability to safely berth in port (particularly Heysham) as opposed to how the actual crossing might be.

The decision on wether to sail or not will be little to do with insurance in respect of handling passengers etc. The vessel will have established operating limits and if the forecast indicates beyond these, no sailing. Anything within those limits will be at the Masters discretion.

a pick up with a 6ft trailer on the SP booked yesterday £987.00 1 way

Pick up on its own £500.00 1 way.

And they wonder why they may lose people to mezeron

Gazza, what do you mean by pick-up, a half-cab jobbo or?

Wicked prices, I'm in the wrong business.

4x4 double cab land rover

Perhaps we should start growing vegetables on the island so that Tesco don't have to import them. Hang on a minute, we do. It's just they prefer to stock cheap imported shite.

The island does not grow much in the way of fruit and veg.

About 5 years ago I was on a disaster management course and was told that the Island grows enough spuds to feed the population... Mind you, I should go and kick myself in the arse right now as I was also told that the Islands fishing fleet could provide enough fish.... :blink:

a pick up with a 6ft trailer on the SP booked yesterday £987.00 1 way

Pick up on its own £500.00 1 way.

And they wonder why they may lose people to mezeron

Gazza, what do you mean by pick-up, a half-cab jobbo or?

Wicked prices, I'm in the wrong business.

4x4 double cab land rover

What was the break down of the price? You say this is one way? I think you have this wrong.