Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

Perhaps we should start growing vegetables on the island so that Tesco don't have to import them. Hang on a minute, we do. It's just they prefer to stock cheap imported shite.

We do have some very good veg on the island which I prefer to use, just thee are some that are not or cannot be grown here or are stocked by outher outlets hence no choice but to buy from there but I would say one 90p item from tesco out of a £50 shop of local produce isn't too bad, what's your ratio?

I have been asked to post the following message from IOMSP crews. They have been told this week that their Pensions have and are not protected unlike crews from UK ships, in the event of SP going out of business they will lose our big time

I have been asked to post the following message from IOMSP crews. They have been told this week that their Pensions have and are not protected unlike crews from UK ships, in the event of SP going out of business they will lose our big time

MW scare tactics? I don't remember anything about the pension fund in the 2008 accounts.

MW scare tactics? I don't remember anything about the pension fund in the 2008 accounts.

No as its been explained to me he's right. The SP scheme has no rights under the UK Pension Protection Fund as its an Isle of Man based plan so if the plan is in a bad way and the SP goes tits up the protection is a big fat 'zip' in the Isle of Man.

Edited to add: How will they lose out big time? That rather depends on whether the scheme is currently well funded or not. As I understand it they are no worse off than any other person with an Isle of Man pension plan. They seem to forget that they are not working for the old SP but a bunch of Aussie venture capital bandits with a big debt appetite.

Edited by oldmanxfella

Why should we be concerned about this whinging from the Racket's employees? They are, simply, in the same position as the rest of us who have IoM based pensions. Why do they think they deserve more consideration than anyone else? Do they see their gravy train ending?

Perhaps we should start growing vegetables on the island so that Tesco don't have to import them. Hang on a minute, we do. It's just they prefer to stock cheap imported shite.

We do have some very good veg on the island ?

Yes most of them can be viewed in the public gallery of the wedding cake on the hill. :lol:

No as its been explained to me he's right. The SP scheme has no rights under the UK Pension Protection Fund as its an Isle of Man based plan so if SP goes tits up I'd be a bit worried if I was in it myself as the protection is a big fat 'zip' in the Isle of Man.

I concur, but the PPF only kicks in if the employer is insolvent and the scheme its unable to meet its liabilities. Security of members rights will depend on the current level of funding of the scheme, which may be available in the accounts but will definitely be available in the last actuarial report.

No as its been explained to me he's right. The SP scheme has no rights under the UK Pension Protection Fund as its an Isle of Man based plan so if the plan is in a bad way and the SP goes tits up the protection is a big fat 'zip' in the Isle of Man.

Edited to add: How will they lose out big time? That rather depends on whether the scheme is currently well funded or not. As I understand it they are no worse off than any other person with an Isle of Man pension plan.

Do I sense another Robert Maxwell type episode in the future?... Fat bastard falls off boat "accidentally" and his employees find their pension pot plundered....

Edited to add: How will they lose out big time? That rather depends on whether the scheme is currently well funded or not. As I understand it they are no worse off than any other person with an Isle of Man pension plan.

Do I sense another Robert Maxwell type episode in the future?... Fat bastard falls off boat "accidentally" and his employees find their pension pot plundered....

That is a ridiculous suggestion. If the plan is well funded what is the issue? But its true to say that if it all goes horribly wrong I understand that the IoM has no bail out scheme for pension plans so if there are no assets left in the business there is no cash to plug the pension hole with.

well as the Sp our such a good manx company you know with beeing here for over 100 years. and with them being all for manx things.

Then Im sure with all that respect they have for the island its workers and people then im sure that they will have set aside plenty of cash to pay for this type incase

that they ever went bust.

And im sure before they paid themselfs 10-15million divs a year that they transfered the years pension allocation so its safe for the manx worker. who they love so much.

Carlsburg don't do irony.... :rolleyes:

Would the IOMSPC pension fund have trustees and annual accounts? Surely it should. The members, if concerned should first of all get hold of copies of the accounts. Who has told them that they will lose out - what information do they have to back that up?

If they are worried they need to establish the facts not to make a knee-jerk reaction to some third party. At that point they can decide whether or not to panic!

Then Im sure with all that respect they have for the island its workers and people then im sure that they will have set aside plenty of cash to pay for this type incase

And im sure before they paid themselfs 10-15million divs a year that they transfered the years pension allocation so its safe for the manx worker. who they love so much.

Yeah I'm sure all those Manx born Estonian's and Lithuanian's are well pissed off about their pensions!

Yeah I'm sure all those Manx born Estonian's and Lithuanian's are well pissed off about their pensions!

The crews of ships on period time charter have their wages and terms of employment etc paid by their owners and not Steampacket which is the Disponent Owner

The island does not grow much in the way of fruit and veg.

About 5 years ago I was on a disaster management course and was told that the Island grows enough spuds to feed the population... Mind you, I should go and kick myself in the arse right now as I was also told that the Islands fishing fleet could provide enough fish.... :blink:

was that the one at the villa? Part of the pandemic flu propoganda? That wasted day showed me everything you would ever need to see to understand the sheer volume of bullshit and self interest among high level civil servants on the Iom.

The crews of ships on period time charter have their wages and terms of employment etc paid by their owners and not Steampacket which is the Disponent Owner

I know that Barrie, that was the joke. why are you posting here?