Mezeron & Steam Packet Master Thread

Sean South

An interesting thing happened the last Monday... For personal reasons I changed my AM sailing on the Ben to the PM sailing, and what a surprise....

The bottom deck was a wash with freight! So much in fact that there was only room for about 5 cars, the other cars (approx 20 in number) were moved to the top deck, along with about 5 or 6 trailer units.

Was last Monday a simple "one off" or is this amount of freight in the evenings normal? If it is, then what the hell is the Racket bleating about?

Yep, I went over on Friday evening and the bottom deck was virtually full of freight. There was way more than 20 cars though. Most times I go on the Ben it's on the Friday evening sailing and it's always been busy with freight and cars/passengers.

So... with that much freight being carried, and knowing that Mezeron have been running with the Ingeborg Pilot for over a year before they started running a two ship service, and all without a peep from the racket, surely there's more freight being moved back and forth that the racket could carry anyway...?

So what's all the fuss about?

So... with that much freight being carried, and knowing that Mezeron have been running with the Ingeborg Pilot for over a year before they started running a two ship service, and all without a peep from the racket, surely there's more freight being moved back and forth that the racket could carry anyway...?

I guess they won't fully understand the impact until things have settled somewhat and they can assess the actual loss.

Of course, because a few sailings are 'full', you still need to account for the less time critical shipments, particularly commodities / building materials et al. Now Mezeron always shipped some of this anyway, but if they are doing another 50 or so units a week, this is 50 or so less for the SP, which would have been shipped on the daytime sailings, or quieter weekend slots.

Whilst the SP have high standard freight rates, they have previously been willing to offer discounted rates for these shipments to try and encourage people to use them. The reason being that this type of cargo lends itself quite easily to being shipped by their competitors (old Mezeron and Ramsey Steamship).

I even recall the coal being brought in tippers which were shipped at a decent concession to make it viable. I think the trade off is that these shipments may be on a 'standby' basis, with space being offered when available.

I guess they won't fully understand the impact until things have settled somewhat and they can assess the actual loss.

Of course, because a few sailings are 'full', you still need to account for the less time critical shipments, particularly commodities / building materials et al. Now Mezeron always shipped some of this anyway, but if they are doing another 50 or so units a week, this is 50 or so less for the SP, which would have been shipped on the daytime sailings, or quieter weekend slots.

Whilst the SP have high standard freight rates, they have previously been willing to offer discounted rates for these shipments to try and encourage people to use them. The reason being that this type of cargo lends itself quite easily to being shipped by their competitors (old Mezeron and Ramsey Steamship).

I even recall the coal being brought in tippers which were shipped at a decent concession to make it viable. I think the trade off is that these shipments may be on a 'standby' basis, with space being offered when available.

Ah yes.. I’m quite sure that the coal trailer unit was on the Wednesday afternoon sailing from Heysham... And I agree with what you're saying, but based on what I, and others, have seen this last day or so, if this is normal, then I think both companies could operate without fear of 'going under' (for want of a better word)

What affect (if any) this will have on passenger fares will no doubt come about in due time.

Sadly, my quite regular trips on the Ben have come to an end for this year... :(

It being Christmas, there is bound to be a bit more freight than usual, which might account for the Ben being full of trailers occasionally, especially the night time crossings.

Personally, I'm with those who have said leave well alone. The Steam Packet would bleat, wouldn't they? I've noticed that since they shut Mark Woodward up, their utterances have been a bit more measured. Let's see how this competition pans out before panicking. My guess is that their £243 million debt will bring the IoMSP down if faced with sustained and effective competition. But there is a profit to be made on the IoM/UK routes, both pax & freight, and that will ensure that there will be services into the future. Who owns those services & what the sustainable level is remains to be seen.