Keys Tomorrow

Addie

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But then it simply looks like they didn't show up. If that was the case, people like you would say they couldn't be bothered, etc.

As for all 20+ of them colluding to work out a hung vote, I'm amazed at comments like this. Are you really this paranoid?

If they declared that they were abstaining from voting it would be the same as opting for the “none of the above” vote. Spoiling your vote on the other hand sounds like you couldn't be bothered. My point is that a person’s right to vote is too valuable to 'spoil'.

As for a Government working together and colluding to create a hung vote, yes you are right. That is far too far fetched.

I was nearly giving them the credit for actually achieving something that they might have set out to do! :rolleyes:

So, because you don't like the phrase "spoiled paper" and got confused by it, you think that instead they should abstain from voting and record who abstained , thus doing away with anonymity?

It's a very small minority who don't understand what "spoiled paper" means. Be thankful that you're no longer in that minority - it should save you some embarrassment at dinner parties, or ranting to punters in the back of your cab.

Just to clarify...

Standing orders say that all elected members are to attend all sessions unless they are previously excused by the House (allowing for unforseen circumstances).

When votes take place, all in attendance must vote.

There isn't a "none of the above" option, so a spoiled paper is one that is not filled in correctly and is a recognised method of voting "none".

To be elected to LegCo, the nominee must be nominated by a member of Keys, seconded by another member and then receive 13 votes in the election. There is one vote per member per LegCo. seats available.

Keys has 24 members, so 13 is the smallest number to give a majority.

The alternative type of election is a "first past the post" system. Because elections are governed by legislation, the time taken to vote would be dwalfed by the time taken to change systems.

You know Ripsaw! youre quite right, Im just a little hesitant as Im new on and dont want to get booted off or be the cause of the forum being closed down as I beleive was the case last year. Or so it said in the papers

Keep smiling  :D

If you are really concerned about harming the forums, or being 'booted off', maybe if you submitted your potential post via Personal Message to Admin or the Mods, surely they could tell you if your post was acceptable?

/typo

Thanks for your advice Ill remember it in future ;);)

Archived