Student Fees Protest

gazza

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love it! Didn't realise that tuition fees were being hiked up to three times the level. Who would be able to afford that?

I can say I am *very* grateful to have received an almost free university education c/o the IOM government in the 1970's. Those really were the good old days, even if there was a recession at the and of the 1970's before St. Margaret got the country going again.

Love it! What do you expect? They're angry at being fucked over. Nothing wrong with what they're doing. Didn't realise that tuition fees were being hiked up to three times the level. Who would be able to afford that?

No one forces them to be students, they have the choice to get a job or live on benefits :rolleyes:

riot

I see that higher education would work wonders on some of theses

Looked like mainly younger FE Students to me. They're more annoyed because they'll be the ones that bare the brunt of this policy (it probably seems like their future is taken away). Also they're less experienced of the ways of the world. So the moderate NUS leaders will organise a nice friendly rally with lots of pretty young woman and geeky blokes waving humorous placards. Meanwhile, the SWP or Militant or Class War or whoever it is now are talking to the younger ones saying "this is your future they're taking away, they won't listen to reasoned behaviour, we've got to make them listen". And the youngsters get caught up in the moment.

It certainly looks that way, especially in the way that by all accounts the violence kicked off suddenly rather than there being a some kind of build up of tension and aggression. My guess is that it was a handful of tools being spurred on and grabbing the moment - hell, the footage almost looks as staged as the average photo opportunity.

A shameful display by some of the unwashed masses! Plod should have adopted a CRS-style approach and cracked a few heads open the minute trouble started. As for those morons occupying part of Millbank Tower, seal them in, lob some CS grenades in and then, when they emerge, crack their heads. We really are far too soft with these idiots.

Watching this morning you se a bunch of scroats putting a window in, when the window fell it did so onto the protesters, I was really hoping that it would slice into one so we could have a good example of justice as he bled to death on camera, btw I did notice that the majority of graffiti was for the anarchist group, seems yet again these wastes of oxygen infultrated a peaceful protest and caused violence.

Nothing with a violent protest necessarily. Depends where the violence is directed. I haven't read what anarchist groups were there, but it does appear to be something that Class Action would do.

You already get the bullshit in the paper with the Daily Mail calling the protest a Middle-Class Protest and describing the students as middle-class. Students aren't middle class. What nonsense.

Violence is violence, it does not matter where it is directed, what could be seen on the news footage was some scroats smashing a window then it falling on them, what a pity it didn't kill one now that would have been justified.

So the max is going to be about £9k a year. Three years gives er, um £27k? Compare that to £80+k that a pilot has to pay to get a licence without the protected benefit of no repay until earning £20k ish. I wouldn't like to borrow £27k but its a *** site better than having to borrow £80k which needs paying back job or no job!

So the max is going to be about £9k a year. Three years gives er, um £27k? Compare that to £80+k that a pilot has to pay to get a licence without the protected benefit of no repay until earning £20k ish. I wouldn't like to borrow £27k but its a *** site better than having to borrow £80k which needs paying back job or no job!

And you've got to live, pay hall of residence etc. so it's ~ 45k minimum. OK if dad's a MHK but otherwise it's a nasty debt to start your working life with. In the 70's a friend saved money from her grant at uni and had a nice little sum to use as a deposit for a house. But she was boringly sensible.

Archived