The Irish Republic

Nom de plume

Ireland have been getting a whack load of cash from the EEC and swaggered round like the cat that got the cream. Other than spending money, Ireland effectively produces nothing. It had to come to an end sometime. Celtic Tiger - my arse.

Ireland Isle of Man has been getting a whack load of cash from the EEC Common Purse VAT Agreement and swaggered round like the cat that got the cream. Other than spending money, Ireland Isle of Man effectively produces nothing. It had to come to an end sometime. Celtic Tiger Freedom To Flourish - my arse.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ireland have been getting a whack load of cash from the EEC and swaggered round like the cat that got the cream. Other than spending money, Ireland effectively produces nothing. It had to come to an end sometime. Celtic Tiger - my arse.

..and now it looks like AIB is nationalised. The Triumvirate of Developers/Bankers/Government & regulators have struck again.

But Theo when you say that Ireland produces nothing I am not sure what you mean? It is a major exporter in the agri-food sector, a major exporter of pharmaceuticals, software and hardware plus fishing and drinks. In fact its exports have done rather well in the last 12 months +10% YoY.

It was certainly disastously over dependent on its construction/housing sector and by default its banking sector (where have I read that about other countries?). I see that it has been announced this week that the UK has had to borrow more than it thought it would need because revenues have been less than anticipated and then there are the redundancies coming from the public sector next year. Could the UK be going down a similar route of over-dependence on the public sector + housing/construction + banking and the export of its manufacturing/wealth producing sectors? IMO it seems symbolic of the UK's economic situation that it has had to get rid of its two aircraft carriers and their aircraft just after an upgrade of the aircraft and before the replacement carriers (and the as yet not available arcraft) come into operation.

My concern here is how we will manage with a approx. 20% cut in revenue (nobody seems to know exactly how much) plus the potential impact of losing 0/10 plus an apparent inability to stop capital spending and to reduce PS numbers.

• 2 weeks later...

One of the steps that is essential for Ireland to recover is for proper Government Adminstration to be put into force for all the payments that are handed out.

It is well known that people are taking advantage of the welfare state, so much so that it is believed that people actually fly in from other countries to collect their welfare payments before returning home again.

Another thing is that people are actually attending Citizens advice and instead of asking for help, they are asking what they can get and by the time they have all their entitlements they are financially better off by not working.

Final thing I would also say is that alot of the money that is handed out in Ireland is not staying in Ireland it is sent to other countries banks. The government in Ireland needs to be taught how to govern, first and foremost.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the steps that is essential for Ireland to recover is for proper Government Adminstration to be put into force for all the payments that are handed out.

It is well known that people are taking advantage of the welfare state...people are actually attending Citizens advice and ... by the time they have all their entitlements they are financially better off by not working....a lot of the money that is handed out in Ireland is not staying in Ireland ...The government in Ireland needs to be taught how to govern, first and foremost.

At last in view of the above a

The ironic thing for Ireland is that they originally voted No for joining, and were then bullied by Europe into scrapping through a yes vote.

Eh ? Ireland held a referendum on the Maastricht Treaty. It was supported by a very significant majority. This led to Ireland ultimately adopting the Euro when it was launched.

There was no specific separate vote apart from that. It was the policy of successive govts - govts which had been democratically elected. Ireland was one of the original Euro countries.

The Isle of Man signed up to the Maastrict Treaty. I requested the original to read in Tynwald Library some years ago. (Signed by the then Miles Walker)

The Island did not get a referendum tho' did it?

Roger Watterson on Manx Radio often points out that Zero-10 is under attack but that it is London Whitehall Mandarins directing the fire and actually encouraging the procedure. (Bit like artillery Forward Observation Officers calling down fire)

Archived