Grid Lock

TheTool

There's two things that could instantly sort our traffic problems in douglas:

1) Start the schools at 8am not 9am. This is how it's done in France, and it simply works. You take the slow school traffic out of the peak time. This also works for most working parents, as they can drop their kids off, then go to work in time. The fact that many of our schools are on the perimeter of douglas compounds the problem for commuters.

2) Impose a rule of one car per household. This is how it's done in Bermuda, and it works. Most people ride scooters there, and riding a scooter is a far better experience when there are fewer cars.

Painfully I have to agree with most of what you have said. Not sure about the one car per house hold though. Much prefer the Japanese method that restricts you to one car unless you have off street parking at your home.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's two things that could instantly sort our traffic problems in douglas:

1) Start the schools at 8am not 9am. This is how it's done in France, and it simply works. You take the slow school traffic out of the peak time. This also works for most working parents, as they can drop their kids off, then go to work in time. The fact that many of our schools are on the perimeter of douglas compounds the problem for commuters.

2) Impose a rule of one car per household. This is how it's done in Bermuda, and it works. Most people ride scooters there, and riding a scooter is a far better experience when there are fewer cars.

agree with point 1, trouble is the teachers have too much say in how schools are run and the schools would have to finish earlier

do not agree with point 2, this would mean those with less income (groups of students, house shares, those struggling with mortgage who then get a lodger?) sharing houses together are suffering, the rich wont care.

agree with point 1, trouble is the teachers have too much say in how schools are run and the schools would have to finish earlier

Finishing earlier isn't a problem is it? 3:30 finishing mean most working mums either have afternoon care or work half days.

do not agree with point 2, this would mean those with less income (groups of students, house shares, those struggling with mortgage who then get a lodger?) sharing houses together are suffering, the rich wont care.

What else do you propose then? The rich will care plenty, they tend to have more cars per household than the less well off, no?

It also doesn't mean you cant get arround, just you're forced to use alternatives. In bermuda, everyone has a scooter. If everyone has a scooter, they automatically become a lot safer, and it works out very nicely.

In France the average start time for schools is now about 8.45 am. Although this varies slightly around the country (as it does here), but they have a longer lunch break of between 90 mins to 2 hours but finish later, between 4.30 and 5.00 pm.

So, if anything, it would make it worse with extra traffic at both ends of the day.

Oh, and they don't go to school on Wednesday's or Saturday mornings any more (although I think this is changing in certain parts of the country).

In bermuda, everyone has a scooter. If everyone has a scooter, they automatically become a lot safer, and it works out very nicely.

I'm not too sure how Bremudan scooter riders would cope with our greasy promenade in the middle of winter

Many years ago I used to ride a motorbike everyday, it wasn't much fun having to wrap up against the elements when it was cold and raining. I'd love another bike now but my wife doesn't want me becoming a "donor", which is what the hospital call middle aged men reliving their youth by buying a bike again.

What else do you propose then? The rich will care plenty, they tend to have more cars per household than the less well off, no?

I dont propose anything, I cant really see a problem with traffic as it is. but I do know that a one car per household rule would adversely affect several people I know. Do you really think that having to queue up for half an hour in the rush hour is worth forcing a mum with 3 kids under 3 to use public transport, or lodgers jonny, davy and fred to get rid of their cars because their landlord chris has one (and none of them even live or work in douglas)

its a rubbish idea. And the rich will just hire their lawyers and accountants to put their cars into company ownership or trusts or something

I've noticed that when the schools are on holiday it's a lot quicker driving along Douglas prom than ususal. I'm not too sure why that should be as ther doesn't seem to be any school traffic using the prom.

The biggest holdup driving home along the prom in the summer is the damn horsetram plodding along and the useless car drivers who can't go past it. You then get a tail back of traffic which can spread back as far as cars coming down Broadway

well if school bell rang at 8.30 that would mean less cars on the roads (sorry 4x4's) lol.

The idea that the school traffic is mixed with the work traffic is madness half a hour in the morning would stop a good chunk of the problem.

There is not too much of a problem at 5pm becuase the kids are at home.

When i was a kid we walked to school rain hail snow u name it why is it they get lifts everywhere, no wonder why there is a obesity problem.

It also doesn't mean you cant get arround, just you're forced to use alternatives. In bermuda, everyone has a scooter. If everyone has a scooter, they automatically become a lot safer, and it works out very nicely.

have you seen some of the current scooter riders?! they are no way safe... lol

The biggest holdup driving home along the prom in the summer is the damn horsetram plodding along and the useless car drivers who can't go past it. You then get a tail back of traffic which can spread back as far as cars coming down Broadway

this guy knows what hes talking about! :) lol horse tram is a pain in the ass like!

That makes such a difference..... I love school holidays even more now I'm at work

only downside is when you walk in town during lunch and realise you're staring at jailbait

Archived