Grid Lock

TheTool

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed that when the schools are on holiday it's a lot quicker driving along Douglas prom than ususal. I'm not too sure why that should be as ther doesn't seem to be any school traffic using the prom.

The biggest holdup driving home along the prom in the summer is the damn horsetram plodding along and the useless car drivers who can't go past it. You then get a tail back of traffic which can spread back as far as cars coming down Broadway

When I'm emperor, I shall be cruel but fiar.

I should ban traffic on the prom complelety!!

Expand the horse trams to out of town park & "tram" scheme.

Make all children walk to school.

Yeh! I like it go for it, I can just see those trams hacking up Prospect Hill, Broadway and Summerhill and can you imagine the inbound trips :D , I'm sure it'll get a lot more comuters walking though :P

I moved here about 2 years ago from Reading, and I can assure you there is no traffic problem here. In Reading, it could take me about an hour to get into town, and I only lived about 3 miles away. Its all relative I suppose, but for me, getting into Douglas is a breeze.....

I dont propose anything, I cant really see a problem with traffic as it is. but I do know that a one car per household rule would adversely affect several people I know. Do you really think that having to queue up for half an hour in the rush hour is worth forcing a mum with 3 kids under 3 to use public transport, or lodgers jonny,  davy and fred to get rid of their cars because their landlord chris has one (and none of them even live or work in douglas)

its a rubbish idea. And the rich will just hire their lawyers and accountants to put their cars into company ownership or trusts or something

You talk about it like its the end of the world. Everyone in that house could easily share a car with a bit of organisation. I'm not talking about forcing anyone to use public transport, although I'm amazed you say it like it's some kind of punishment. It just takes a bit of effort.

Reducing traffic jams shouldn't be the driving factor too, there's environmental and health reasons to reduce traffic that are more pressing than a bit of a delay in the morning.

How many people have lodgers?

You think rich people can avoid all laws? Should we have no laws at all then? Why bother? They can hire lawyers and accountants!

You talk about it like its the end of the world. Everyone in that house could easily share a car with a bit of organisation. I'm not talking about forcing anyone to use public transport, although I'm amazed you say it like it's some kind of punishment. It just takes a bit of effort.

Reducing traffic jams shouldn't be the driving factor too, there's environmental and health reasons to reduce traffic that are more pressing than a bit of a delay in the morning.

How many people have lodgers?

You think rich people can avoid all laws? Should we have no laws at all then? Why bother? They can hire lawyers and accountants!

whilst YOU talk like a five-car queue is the end of the world. :rolleyes:

I use the buses a lot, and during the day they are almost always busy. lunchtimes you have to share a seat if you get one, same with mornings and going home time.do you use buses much?

If anything public transport should be improved, and peopl encouragred to use them more, but no more laws eh. people should have a choice.

theres no danger of your idea ever coming to fruition over here anyway, but Im afraid it gets my goat to hear people moaning about stuff like this then insisting more legislation is the answer; it isnt!

oh a lot of people have lodgers. Like bill says I doubt many declare it though! I have one right now, until recently had 3.

good of you to worry about others health though 'Slim' :lol: walk much yourself?

If my newly built office provided a changing room, locker, shower, and somewhere safe to leave my bicycle I'd ride that to work.

I think it should be mandatory for new office to include these facilities to encourage more people to cycle, I would if I lieved far enough away from work to commute.

whilst YOU talk like a five-car queue is the end of the world.  :rolleyes:

Are you just making things up again? Where did I say that?

I use the buses a lot, and during the day they are almost always busy. lunchtimes you have to share a seat if you get one, same with mornings and going home time.do you use buses much?

No, but I'm not talking about it like its some kind of punishment.

If anything public transport should be improved, and peopl encouragred to use them more, but no more laws eh. people should have a choice.

theres no danger of your idea ever coming to fruition over here anyway, but Im afraid it gets my goat to hear people moaning about stuff like this then insisting more legislation is the answer; it isnt!

Then why is it the answer for other capitals and not ours? What makes us so special that we can cure our ills without legislation?

oh a lot of people have lodgers. Like bill says I doubt many declare it though! I have one right now, until recently had 3.

"a lot". Thanks for quantifying that, very useful...

good of you to worry about others health though 'Slim'  :lol: walk much yourself?

Now personal abuse? Nice one.

so you dont use buses or excersize but want to push legislation to get more people using buses and walking for their health? nice one yourself

and how the hell should I have figures to hand for lodgers? dont be silly.

sorry where are these capitals where this legisation has proved such a lifesaver? bermuda? that the best example?

Where did I say I didn't excersise? You just keep making stuff up over and over, talking out of your bottom.

Surely if I'm an individual most affected by this, i.e. someone who drives himself to work every morning, alone, in his car, then I'm best placed to judge the impact?

If I already use the busses, what use am I as an advocate of how to get people who use cars to use busses?

The lodgers thing, I don't expect you to have the figures to hand, thats my point. How can you judge it as a serious problem if you dont know? I don't know see, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

As for capitals with traffic legislation how about London and congestion charging?

Where did I say I didn't excersise? You just keep making stuff up over and over, talking out of your bottom.

Surely if I'm an individual most affected by this, i.e. someone who drives himself to work every morning, alone, in his car, then I'm best placed to judge the impact?

If I already use the busses, what use am I as an advocate of how to get people who use cars to use busses?

The lodgers thing, I don't expect you to have the figures to hand, thats my point. How can you judge it as a serious problem if you dont know? I don't know see, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

As for capitals with traffic legislation how about London and congestion charging?

I recently stayed in London for a few days. It was my first time in London since the congestion charges came in to force and I did notice a big improvement in the volume of traffic.

Not popular with everyone but it seems to work in London.

Going back to the limiting of vehicles per residence. I believe that in Japan your home building is given a permit for 'X' number of vehicles depending on availability of parking facilities. This is not dissimilar to legislation coming in for the Isle of Man regarding heavy commercial vehicle operators and their premises.

I don't think for one minute that we could ever apply this sort of thing to private cars on the Isle of Man. Our 'congestion' is nothing compared to that of the big cities.

It does seem that owning and running a car on the island is relatively low compared with the U.K. (with exception of fuel prices). Perhaps by raising car tax it might persuade people to use alternative forms of public transport but the fact is we love our cars. I would rather give up anything before I would give up my car in order to make life easier for those who still had cars.

With land at premium prices developers are reluctant to use valuable space for parking when constructing new buildings. The only way is to force them to do it at the planning stage.

IMHO Congestion on the Isle of Man will not improve before it gets much worse than it is now.

Archived