Wikkileaks

tonythetash

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave. O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

I DON'T THINK SO!

The US army has filed 22 new charges against the soldier accused of leaking thousands of classified documents published by the whistleblower website, WikiLeaks.

Bradley Manning is facing life in prison if found guilty to the charges which include aiding the enemy.

Manning, 23, had previously faced a host of charges including downloading and transmitting to an unauthorised

person a classified video of a 2007 helicopter attack that killed a dozen people in Iraq, including two Reuters

employees.

"The new charges more accurately reflect the broad scope of the crimes that Private 1st Class Manning is accused of committing," Captain John Haberland, a legal spokesman for the Military District of Washington, said on Wednesday.

The army said that if Manning were convicted of all charges, he would face life in prison, plus reduction in rank to the lowest enlisted pay grade, a dishonourable discharge and loss of all pay and allowances

I don't see what the issue is here. He essentially broke their version of the Official Secrets Act so take him down.

I don't know if they have a "public interest" clause in theirs though. Clive Ponting got off because he proved the appalling Thatcher was lying through her teeth.

• 2 months later...

Oh the irony. Wikileaks makes its employees sign a confidentiality agreement!

Wired Magazine- WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange ... makes his associates sign a draconian nondisclosure agreement that, among other things, asserts that the organisation's huge trove of leaked material is "solely the property of WikiLeaks"

New Statesman- for some time it has been apparent that WikiLeaks and its founder Julian Assange have had a "pick'n'mix" attitude to legal obligations. They seem to feel free from any restrictions in respect of confidentiality and official secrecy; but on the other hand they make routine legal threats ... so as to uphold their perceived rights to their supposed commercial "property" – leaked, sensitive information. Abidance by the law is, it would seem, something for other people.

And, as the legal gag shows, WikiLeaks sought to use the full force of the law to deter or punish anyone who leaks against it – to the tune of £12m a time.

Hypocracy of the worst kind. And to all those people risking their livelihoods and careers to uncover wrong doing - well Wikileaks sees their efforts in mercenary commercial terms - they take the risk; Wikileaks seeks to profit.

Such high minded values hey.

... don't tell me, its a CIA plant.

Archived