Pay Rises

Slim

What was your pay rise this/last year  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think Bernard Moffatt isn't living in the real world. Inflation is high, but from what I can tell, many employers simply aren't matching the manx inflation and are instead tracking UK inflation (headline inflation is 2.6% in the uk).

A 4% rise is pretty much in-line with what private manx companies are getting I recon, so why shouldn't government workers get the same?

I don't see the storms as a justification for a rise either. A one off bonus perhaps, but not a rise.

I think Bernard Moffatt isn't living in the real world. Inflation is high, but from what I can tell, many employers simply aren't matching the manx inflation and are instead tracking UK inflation (headline inflation is 2.6% in the uk).

A 4% rise is pretty much in-line with what private manx companies are getting I recon, so why shouldn't government workers get the same?

I don't see the storms as a justification for a rise either. A one off bonus perhaps, but not a rise.

Inflation? Dare I remind you about Gas, Electricity and rates?

A 4% annual pay rise in the Isle of Man is effectively a 2% pay CUT.

Doesn't anyone else think it's a bit rich MHK's urging caution over pay, given the huge hike they awarded themselves recently?

All animals are equal...on Animal Farm.

Sure, but my point is its a pay cut in line with the private sector. We're all in the same boat, we're all tightening our belts. Why should government workers be any different?

Ministers pay is a different issue, just because they've got an out of proportion increase, doesn't mean the manual workers should too.

I got nuffin, but I do only work 2 days a week and I'm not that bothered about money. I'm just happy to go to work (for peace & quiet) and have a job I like.

I'm warmed by other people not getting pay rises though. Could it also be an indication that 'alls not well'?

Well i think they are doing alright most of them are the dead wood anyway the highway board and the likes at least they aint getting the minimum wage then they would be shouting.

Too many people workin for the government i think 1 in 5 they reckon

Well i think they are doing alright most of them are the dead wood anyway the highway board and the likes at least they aint getting the minimum wage then they would be shouting.

Oh I see, one in five of the population that work for the Government are dead wood in your eyes? I see your living up to your forum nickname again.

Back to the pay issue, If people are paying union fees to the Transport and General Workers Union It's Mr Moffats Job to try and get the best deal he can for them.

It's the Union, Whitley Council and the Government who decide on who gets what in the end. If talks break down, again it's up to Mr Moffat to decide on the best way forward as he's being paid to get the best deal he can.

If people don't bother going to there union meetings they wouldn't know what was asked for. In other words until it was in the paper not many people would know what percentage was asked for.

Whilst I dont want to turn in to Mr Pedantic...learn to punctuate man for god's sake.

I hope most people can see, though, why people being asked to accept a pay agreement which is less than inflation will turn round and point at the politicians awarding themselves a massive hike - paid for by the same taxpayer as pays their wages after all - and say, therefore, if the taxpayer can afford to pay the politicians, then why are we or should we be any different? Are we of any less worth because we dont wear suits to work? And blather on question time about poop the same poop and nothing but the same poop?! This is exactly what the politicians were warned about would happen, but they went ahead and did it anyway.

I'm not saying it is the correct argument, but I am saying it is one that we will hear over the next few weeks or however long it takes to sort this out. Will there be a politician able or willing to answer the question without pouring fuel on the fire? Somehow I dont think their current soundbite will do the job. An accounting error - seems to be quite alot of those around at present..

Lets hope that this is just mouths flapping and then it will go quiet when they get down to some serious wage talks.

I didn't get a pay rise last year and had to listen (and still have to listen) to my other half giving me severe gyp about the job I do, so I can quite understand the people who are saying, no thanks - what about the politicians... <_<

Archived