Heathrow Boss Gives Up Bonus

Aquarius

According to Sky News the boss of Heathrow airport is " giving up his 2010 bonus ". This leads me to think hmmmmm - 2010 - this must mean he gets a bonus every year? And this train of thought lead me to wonder ....... What for?

Probably based on profitability and achievement of targets.

Or could it have been with the 2 days of being shut that he knew he would not get the bonus as i would say it would be performace led, take in the stikes in the year as well, and he could have been vary close to the limit of not getting the bonus. So what better than to make it look like a PR stunt, gives a sense of caring etc etc, nowt like saying you give up something for others to think well hes not a bad old chap

No. I wouldn't expect one for doing my job. But I do endeavour to do it well. But that was really my point. Heathrow boss is doing what he is paid to do. Why should he have a bonus? My comment about the shop floor guys and gals was that if anyone was gonna get a bonus it should be them because without them, things would not work so well for Mr Heathrow to take the credit.

Aquarious. A benefit of bonuses for the lower levels, is that it is affirmation that you are doing your job well from your employers.

One difference between the private sector & the public sector is that simillar jobs @ £25k in the former often means £23k + £2k bonus and in the latter £25k. So to maintain your salary year on year you've got to at least match last year's standard. If you do a really good job, instead of a big pay rise you get a large bonus, so instead of moving through the pay band as you get experience you stay where you are (although experience puts you in a better position bonus wise.) And the bonus doesn't count to your pension.

Sorry the above paragraph is a bit moany. I don't really mean to moan, I think that if you take a job you agree the pay & bonuses etc, - you always have the option to move jobs. But you hear a lot of resentment from public sector staff that they don't get bonuses, but really the bonus isn't free money that you've got for nothing, but needs to be seen in the context of the whole package.

At the higher levels if you take the bonus element out of a ceo's salary, the basic salary will go up. So you pay the same but remove a performance incentive.

Aquarious. A benefit of bonuses for the lower levels, is that it is affirmation that you are doing your job well from your employers.

One difference between the private sector & the public sector is that simillar jobs @ £25k in the former often means £23k + £2k bonus and in the latter £25k. So to maintain your salary year on year you've got to at least match last year's standard. If you do a really good job, instead of a big pay rise you get a large bonus, so instead of moving through the pay band as you get experience you stay where you are (although experience puts you in a better position bonus wise.) And the bonus doesn't count to your pension.

I would take issue with the above. Firstly the public sector are nowadays better paid than the private sector. Secondly many private sector workers have had to take a pay cut - absolutely unheard of in the public sector. Thirdly the private sector always has an easy target to measure - bottom line, the public sector with it's bottomless public money pit sets airy-fairy targets that's an incentive to no-one (imho of course). Lastly in the private sector, especially in sales, the basic will be just that with a large proportion, often a lot more than 50%, revenue based bonus.

The way you proportion out a private sector bonus at a piddling 8% instead of a far more realistic 50-60% with a breadline basic.

The public sector have had it far too soft for far too long. And these days their largesse is unaffordable. Time for change...

Well the figures were hypothetical and intended to illustrate comparable roles in public & private sector. Your figures might reflect a sales role, where you might get a basic £100 pw and earn the rest through commission. However, there aren't many of those sort of roles in the public sector, so I used the more realistic figures someone in a non-sales role would have.

Archived