Hmv To Close 60 Stores As Sales And Shares Slump

pongo

That is how bad music that will not be remembered next month, let alone next year or decade is made.

Er, I'm using your example, The Edge, you loon.

But we are not talking about "on the road" we are talking about studio recording.

No. I am not writing off any technology. There is a place and a market for it all. But the stuff you are talking about is pretty much relegated to the pub singer.

Lol!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is how bad music that will not be remembered next month, let alone next year or decade is made.

Er, I'm using your example, The Edge, you loon.

But we are not talking about "on the road" we are talking about studio recording.

No. I am not writing off any technology. There is a place and a market for it all. But the stuff you are talking about is pretty much relegated to the pub singer.

Lol!

I am beginning to think you are a troll!!

My example of The Edge shows him with a room full of processors, both analogue and digital, creating new sounds. Those sounds are not available on a two bit piece of software written (sampled) last year. It is the here and now. Your examples of multitudes of guitars is laughable, because the tone of the guitar changes all the time. Different pickups, different strings, God forbid you should have your own playing style. Stick with your guitar hero. That is digital.

My example of The Edge shows him with a room full of processors, both analogue and digital, creating new sounds. Those sounds are not available on a two bit piece of software written (sampled) last year. It is the here and now. Your examples of multitudes of guitars is laughable, because the tone of the guitar changes all the time. Different pickups, different strings, God forbid you should have your own playing style. Stick with your guitar hero. That is digital.

Your ignorance of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I've also got that on vinyl. I'm not against anlogue, I've got over 10 grand worth of analog instruments in my house, including a lovely Bechstien. I just hate the snobbery you're exhibiting.

But all you can sample digitally is history.

Sound is analogue, it has to be to be heard.

What? You can create sound digitally, it's not all based on samples. Music can exist digitally. It may be analogue when it gets piped to your ears, but that's not to say it can't exist in digital form.

You've got some funny ideas.

Related to the OP:

http://www.networkworld.com/community/blog/sign-digital-times-sony-shutting-plant-used-m

"Sony this week said it was shuttering one of its largest CD manufacturing plants - citing the impact of digital downloads and other economic issues.The plant, which has been in operation for some 50 years, first producing vinyl records, will close on March 31 and about 300 people will lose their jobs. The 500,000-square-foot warehouse began producing vinyl LPs in 1960 and moved to CD manufacturing in 1988. At its capacity, the plant was making 18 million CDs per month, according to its website."

Less plastic crap, woot!

Seems the Americans are more into digital than we are - I wonder how the price compares over there - maybe they're more generous on the pricing front, hence the popularity???

Doesn't compare too badly, you can see for yourself comparing amazon.com to amazon.co.uk. Bit cheaper after you do the exchange but not too drastic.

I just hate the snobbery you're exhibiting.

I don't like MP3s, and understand that music is analogue, it has to be to be heard, as you actually state in your above post). That makes me a snob?

What? You can create sound digitally, it's not all based on samples. Music can exist digitally. It may be analogue when it gets piped to your ears, but that's not to say it can't exist in digital form.

How? How can you create sound, meaningful sound, digitally? Without converting it to analogue, how do you know it is even a sound! No, music does not exist digitally. Data exists digitally. Music is analogue, always has been, and will be until man evolves, or someone invents a way for the brain to convert digital to analogue.

Digital music, huh, that could be a laugh

Waltz - 123123123123123123123

Digital - 01010101010101010101

How? How can you create sound, meaningful sound, digitally?

By using mathematics.

Without converting it to analogue, how do you know it is even a sound!

Look at it.

No, music does not exist digitally. Data exists digitally. Music is analogue, always has been, and will be until man evolves, or someone invents a way for the brain to convert digital to analogue.

Any analogue signal can be stored digitally and restored to analogue without any loss of information, unlike your brain which will only get older and hear less and less as time goes on (I blame Led Zepp for this in my case).

How? How can you create sound, meaningful sound, digitally? Without converting it to analogue, how do you know it is even a sound! No, music does not exist digitally. Data exists digitally. Music is analogue, always has been, and will be until man evolves, or someone invents a way for the brain to convert digital to analogue.

Digital music, huh, that could be a laugh

Waltz - 123123123123123123123

Digital - 01010101010101010101

You're being an idiot. (That Waltz signal is also digital by the way).

You can have a digital copy of an analogue signal of indistinguishable quality to the analogue one, and often it doesn't even need to be that great quality. Digital does not necessarily mean discrete either - it can describe vector forms pretty much identical to your analogue sources (apart from the noise).

I think you, as many 'audophiles' do, are being naive and saying that the noise inherent in analogue recordings and playback is an actual part of the 'quality' of the recording, and not what it actually is - undesirable noise.

Of course a live performance will always sound different (and 'better') to either an analogue or digital playback of a record, but a high quality digital recording is inherently better than an analogue one played back through the same speaker setup.

Archived