The Future

Ringwraith

As often happens Ringwraith has only given part (one quarter) of the story.

I'm not quite sure what to make of it as the ideas are more than a little wierd, but planned-opolis is one of the worst futures projected where the world doesn't get organized to use renewable energy.

See this for a quick overview.

This for a more detailed look

and here for the homepage.

I've not looked in enough detail to say what I think of the scenarios - they seem a little odd at first look, but there is more to it than Ringwraith is making out - he's put up one of the "bad" scenarios as though its the way things are hoped to turn out.

I'm a little surprised at this thread as I thought there's stacks of debatable points in so many areas and so I've added a few talking points that may or may not be possible in the future, but I'm sure it'll result in different views of opinion.

----------------------------

What IF.... due to the increasing population, war, epidemics or natural disasters HAVE to occur, so that overpopulation is controlled in some way?

Whose to say that we aren't just lab - r*ts and someone above is pulling all the strings?

Whose to debate that if the world continues to spiral out of control due to overpopulation, then fuel, land, water, food, shelter and even air becomes essential needs and how will the people and/or Government react to a shortage?

----------------------------

Like I said, some different angles can be applied to the above, but overpopulation will IMO, most likely affect people in the future, providing something doesn't happen to prevent this.

I'd be more worried about the technological singularity - when machines take over.

Few even think about this, fewer still realise just how fast this is approaching (many estimates agree around 2029). Machines don't have time for humans...we will be the equivalent of viruses to them...and rife for extermination as we serve no purpose here other than to **** everything and every other species up.

A lucky few might still have jobs at the Duracell factory, but I doubt it - as few humans, if any, will be needed other than for zoos or museums.

Food for thought 'Tweek', although caring of people in Hospitals or care homes might still be around in the years to come.

But what about these services?

Fire service

Police service

Prisons

Armed forces

Water

Electric

Gas

Farms

Food production

Transport - including boats and planes

Abattoirs

Council

Road repairs

House repairs

Food for thought 'Tweek', although caring of people in Hospitals or care homes might still be around in the years to come.

But what about these services?

Fire service

Police service

Prisons

Armed forces

Water

Electric

Gas

Farms

Food production

Transport - including boats and planes

Abattoirs

Council

Road repairs

House repairs

Roads? ...where machines are going they won't need roads. Nor many of the above, except for abatoirs maybe.

Archived