Claim Back Those Parking Tickets

ans

Parking at Chester Street car park on a Saturday is frustrating - the top 3 floors are reserved for contract holders, but on a Saturday 95% of these spaces seem to stand empty whilst people squeeze into tight spaces on the lower floors or cruise up and down the prom looking for a space. Where is the logic?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've very probably got a ticket at Shaw's Brow right now. It's normally £4.60 to park there all day. I arrived (late) this morning and saw a sign taped to the machine that read "parking is £1 per hour or £4.50 for all day (8am - 5pm)."

I thought "ooh it's gone down by 10p" - so put £4.50 in and got my ticket, which bizarrely expired at 13.45.

It was then that I read the remainder of the notice - "with effect from 1 April" - but I only had 10p left by that stage, and couldn't be arsed going back at lunch time. My copper jar needs to be emptied anyway.

And it was only when I got in the lift that I noticed that I'd done a particularly bad job of shaving my head last night.

I've had a really bad start to the day.

You will find that Chester Street carpark is run by DOLGE not the Corporation.

Fair enough, but it's not the same people who operate the disc parking scheme, ie the DHA so my point still stands. However, you're so desperate to seize on an error that you weren't bright enough to think about that.

Now, it's time for me to retreat completely from this discussion and not just from Sasha because it's pretty clear this thread is dominated by lazy drivers who simply dont want to abide by the rules and aren't prepared to listen to any sort of reason because it's not what they want. Why not just give a collective 'Waaaa! It's SO unfair' and be done with it eh kids?

If any of you ever get an excess charge notice, get the ticket from the one who paid and tell them it fell off.

Unless the offence is "Failure to display a valid ticket" in which case 'it fell onto the footwell' isn't a valid excuse.

Popular trick with many I believe!

Sources?

(edit: fix BBC)

LIFT - "Going down"

ME - "I wish you were"

MISSUS - "Yes dear"

Ahh, it's not just me?

I actually have a park in town too, but I'm far too slack to use it on saturdays. It's about the same distance to the street as shaws brow, and I pay to park in the bottleneck.

What a nob eh?

I actually have a park in town too,

A while ago there was talk of classing free off street parking at work as a "benefit in kind" and taxing people on it

I think / hope it's been knocked on the head.

A few years ago when we were going through planning for our new building we had to reduce the size of it to provide more off street parking for staff and customers and then they wanted to tax our staff for parking on private property off the street :o

Ans,

You will find that the role of "Parking Controllers" was to issue fixed penalty tickets to drivers that had exceeded thier parking time, this was in car parks whether DOLGE or DOT car parks.

The Corporation has it's own By-Law Inspectors who can issue fixed penalty tickets in the Corporation car parks.

Hope this clears this point.

Having read through this thread I strikes me that it's not about lazy car drivers but the fact that the DHA was wrong in permitting Parking Controllers to issue tickets for yellow lines.

Parking at Chester Street car park on a Saturday is frustrating - the top 3 floors are reserved for contract holders, but on a Saturday 95% of these spaces seem to stand empty whilst people squeeze into tight spaces on the lower floors or cruise up and down the prom looking for a space.  Where is the logic?

Come April, this will change.

Contract holders i.e. those who pay for the space on an annual basis, will lose the right to their space on the weekends so it`ll be a free for all.

Bear in mind, current year gave me a space for 365 days a year and new year will give me a space for 260 days a year.

The difference in price ? Sweet F.A.

For what it is worth my view is that the law is the law. If the law has been determined incorrectly and people without legal authority have issued parking tickets then those people who have paid them are entitled to a refund unless the authorities can prove an offence was committed.

It is not the responsibility of those innocent until proven guilty to claim back their parking fine payments.

It is now the duty of the authorities to pay back all ticket fines unless they can prove the car driver was guilty of an offence.

Mr Braidwood should now go through the Police files and initiate a pay back process.

3 million pounds have been claimed unlawfully. This makes the Flanders case peanuts!

What has been done with all the money UNLAWFULLY taken is the problem of the present Council of Ministers and if they have any decency they should damned well address it and start earning their mega bucks for a change.

If they can spend 9 million plus to do up the wedding cake shack where they meet twice a month they can at least pay back all the fines that they have extracted from the people illegally!

If we're talking specifically about the tickets that have been paid for so far, then the mere fact that the general public has paid the aforementioned tickets uncontested surely constitutes a technical admission of guilt to each offence committed, irrespective of who wrote the ticket in the first place. It's almost like a signed confession of a motoring offence.

I don't really see why the govermnent hasn't whisked in some quick legislation to apply this retrospectively and be done with it.

"I don't really see why the govermnent hasn't whisked in some quick legislation to apply this retrospectively and be done with it."

New laws cannot be introduced retrospectively and it is not in the interest of natural justice for such to be done.

Those that have paid have paid on the understanding that the tickets posted on their car windows were lawful.

Technically they were not.

So all payers should receive an automatic refund unless the Authorities are prepared to challenge their innocence.

The judiciary is at fault here ultimately by punishing people without authority under proper lawful process.

One does not need to seek legal advice to see that.

It's not really that big a deal as far as I'm concerned.

We all know the consequences of parking illegally - you get a small fine and everyone forgets about it.

The admin costs of reimbursing everyone due to this technicality would be sky high. I'm sure some of those claiming that we should all get a refund are the first to complain when "blood sucking lawyers" manage to get a defendant off on a technicality.

These are just parking tickets. Laugh at the fools in charge who got it wrong, but let it go.

Archived