Stop Smoking

manxy

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've had graphical pictures for some time - the rotting teeth, a dead guy on a slab in the morgue, a black lung, a real nasty example of throat cancer. I seriously doubt that it makes any difference as I think most people have a general awareness of the health implications.

I've smoked for over half my life now and have tried everything to stop. Seeing a black lung on my packet doesn't make it any easier I'm afraid. The real task is stopping young kids from starting in the first place, in my day it was 'cool' to smoke but thankfully more and more kids these days think it's disgusting.

I still don't really understand the govt stance on smoking.

They acknowledge it causes major health problems and has, at great expense to the taxpayer and industry, passed legislation to restrict the age you can buy tobacco and where you can smoke it.

Our taxes pay huge sums every year to promote anti-smoking messages and health awareness education, employ people to explain the dangers and foot the bill for ongoing smoking-related illnesses.

Why doesn't the Island just go the whole hog and ban the import and sale of all tobacco products?

They talk about lost taxation revenue, but how does the income really compare with the expenditure? And if it is all about income, why not legalise Heroin and stick some tax on it?

It could create an illegal trade in tobacco which would be completely unregulated - perhaps that's why.

Jersey appears to be many years behind the rest of the British Isles. These images have been on our cigarette packets for a number of years (and have probably made little or no difference to those who smoke).

It is good to note, however, that the Isle of Man is no longer the place where, on arrival, one needs to set one's watch back 20 years.

All they need to do is put the price on the packet. You soon stop smoking after a 'howwwwwwwwwwww *****ing mooooooch!!!' heart attack.

In my experience a heart attack is the one thing that will make someone stop smoking. I've seen loads of (predominantly male) patients in their 70s who had a relatively mild heart attack many years previously, which was the end of their smoking career. Had they not had it and therefore continued smoking, chances are they wouldn't have lived that long.

It could be argued that a mild coronary is the best thing that could happen to a smoker.

All they need to do is put the price on the packet. You soon stop smoking after a 'howwwwwwwwwwww *****ing mooooooch!!!' heart attack.

In my experience a heart attack is the one thing that will make someone stop smoking. I've seen loads of (predominantly male) patients in their 70s who had a relatively mild heart attack many years previously, which was the end of their smoking career. Had they not had it and therefore continued smoking, chances are they wouldn't have lived that long.

It could be argued that a mild coronary is the best thing that could happen to a smoker.

Emphysema is the really nasty smoking related illness but gets little publicity compared to cancer/coronary.

With emphysema you progressively lose the ability to expel air and CO2 from the lungs and likewise the lungs lose the ability to absorb oxygen.

The result is ever increasing strain to breathe out and even to speak.

This causes the chest and diaphragm to work harder and increase in muscular development leading to a dome shaped diaphragm and characteristic “barrel chest”.

The domed diaphragm pushes into the stomach and thus the sufferer is afflicted by acute acid indigestion at every meal.

The arms and legs may go thin and spindly with all effort concentrated on the chest.

CO2 in the blood plus lack of oxygen causes loss of memory, insomnia.

Eyesight fails. Personality changes include anger, irritability and an argumentative nature. The chest is congested with mucus such that you fear to sleep as the discharge accumulates and is murder to get rid of in the morning.

Daily life consists of dependency on asthma-type inhalers. The end stage requires permanent link-up to oxygen including portable supplies for outside.

No one really knows when an emphysema patient will die. But the process of getting there is more drawn out than cancer. You can see people out and about with these plastic tubes fitted for oxygen.

In the end you can’t move, walk, talk, speak or breathe and the old ticker gives out with the strain but it takes ages.

Pray for a good bout of “the old man’s friend” - pneumonia - a nice flue or cold can spark this off and give you welcome half day out with the undertaker.

I am currently watching a friend go down with this illness. Diagnosed four years after he quit smoking for good - Too late!!!

Emphysema is the really nasty smoking related illness but gets little publicity compared to cancer/coronary.

With emphysema you progressively lose the ability to expel air and CO2 from the lungs and likewise the lungs lose the ability to absorb oxygen.

The result is ever increasing strain to breathe out and even to speak.

This causes the chest and diaphragm to work harder and increase in muscular development leading to a dome shaped diaphragm and characteristic “barrel chest”.

The domed diaphragm pushes into the stomach and thus the sufferer is afflicted by acute acid indigestion at every meal.

The arms and legs may go thin and spindly with all effort concentrated on the chest.

CO2 in the blood plus lack of oxygen causes loss of memory, insomnia.

Eyesight fails. Personality changes include anger, irritability and an argumentative nature. The chest is congested with mucus such that you fear to sleep as the discharge accumulates and is murder to get rid of in the morning.

Daily life consists of dependency on asthma-type inhalers. The end stage requires permanent link-up to oxygen including portable supplies for outside.

No one really knows when an emphysema patient will die. But the process of getting there is more drawn out than cancer. You can see people out and about with these plastic tubes fitted for oxygen.

In the end you can’t move, walk, talk, speak or breathe and the old ticker gives out with the strain but it takes ages.

Pray for a good bout of “the old man’s friend” - pneumonia - a nice flue or cold can spark this off and give you welcome half day out with the undertaker.

I am currently watching a friend go down with this illness. Diagnosed four years after he quit smoking for good - Too late!!!

ERROR "'Flu" not "flue"!!!

As a none smoker, I do not know how much cigarettes are these days, but as a child, I do remember my mother saying, 'Once they get to 50p, then I'm stopping'. Unfortunately she never did till two friends of hers died many years later and I'm presuming this was related to smoking, as she packed in soon after.

So how much is cigarettes these days, how much tax goes to the Government and does the price of ciggies have any impact on certain groups like children or pensioners?

Given that smokers are addicts (nicotine is as addictive as heroin) and heroin addicts get the drug on prescription as part of a withdrawal process, should not smokers be entitled to get cigarettes on prescription from their doctor? Would save me a fortune! Would also benefit all pensioners and those on low incomes.

The incentive on ciggie packs to pack in smoking will not deter people,all the pictures,Health staff trying to help people etc, is no good,I have heard people say they like smoking,so they keep sending out the adverts,stick plasters on your arms etc,I found that the only way that seems to work is the Champix tablets on prescription.

For the cost of these tablets to the health service compared to the cost of treatment in hospital and by doctors would be minimal,but there again why should government cut off a lucrative form of ready money so they can waste it on their white elephants.

but there again why should government cut off a lucrative form of ready money so they can waste it on their white elephants.

...and booze tax on pink elephants.

Indeed, the 'bones' of many a past smoker are effectively 'buried' under Richmond Hill.

Archived