The Sound Cafe Voted No.2 In " English Seaside Cafes"

Fossils

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does everyone have to knock down anything positive about the island?

I actually feel pleased for the Sound and congratulate them for coming second. Good job

As far as I can see the Sound has not been voted second in any poll. Rather a writer has selected "10 seaside venues with fabulous views" and listed them in no particular order. The Sound is second on the list it could easily have been 1st or 10th as they do not appear to have been ranked in any order.

People complain about the Torygraph's reporting but it seems that many on Manx forums are not a lot better when reading and reporting on an article in the Torygrapgh

In is interesting that both reports referenced relate to 2008 which was prior to the change in occupants

Why does everyone have to knock down anything positive about the island?

I actually feel pleased for the Sound and congratulate them for coming second. Good job

But they're not in England.

Point taken about the English bit, but I did notice that there was a few mentions of Britain in the latter part of the list of cafe's and I wonder if there's been a mix up in the title and instead of English, should of been British?

What do you think, possibility, slip up or not?

Whichever way, I see it being a good promotion for the cafe and the island

I suppose most people including journalists and competition organisers don't know the difference between England, Britain and the British Isles.

I have noticed that the IOM often misses out when newspapers such as the Observer do travel features. They mention all sorts of places to visit and things to do but don't include the IOM.

There was one about railways but no mention of ours.

On the other hand when it comes to sport the IOM sometimes wants to be treated as an English County.

I suppose most people including journalists and competition organisers don't know the difference between England, Britain and the British Isles.

You remind me of trying to get something mailed from a shop in Vienna to the IOM. Their 'wonderful' computer listed all sorts of countries including Jersey and Guernsey but not the IOM. The lady insisted that the Isle of Man was a region of England and I had to tell her as politely as I could that I knew better than her machine. Her problem was that she couldn't get the printer to print labels without it including England in the address. It made me realise just how globally important we are!

You remind me of trying to get something mailed from a shop in Vienna to the IOM. Their 'wonderful' computer listed all sorts of countries including Jersey and Guernsey but not the IOM. The lady insisted that the Isle of Man was a region of England and I had to tell her as politely as I could that I knew better than her machine. Her problem was that she couldn't get the printer to print labels without it including England in the address. It made me realise just how globally important we are!

I actually think her computer was correct in this case. For post I'm sure the IOM is actually part of GB and any post to the IOM would be routed through England, so use the IOM postcode + GB, for example GB-IM72AD and it'll arrive on the Island via the fastest route.

Why all this? The post uses ISO codes for countries.

I actually think her computer was correct in this case. For post I'm sure the IOM is actually part of GB and any post to the IOM would be routed through England, so use the IOM postcode + GB, for example GB-IM72AD and it'll arrive on the Island via the fastest route.

Wouldn't it be the same for Jersey and Guernsey on that basis? They were shown as seperate countries on her system.

The Isle of Man is not part of GB. GB stands for Great Britain which is the largest of the British islands in a similar way to which Gran Canaria is the largest of the Canary islands. Great Britain doesn't even include Northern Ireland although it is in the UK. You often hear the phrase "the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland"

So GB refers only to England, Scotland and Wales as they form the largest land mass in the British Isles, not the Isle of Man. I realise you were just making the point that for post purposes we are part of GB, but I am just making the point that they are wrong.

this topic just reminds me of all the little cafes which there used to be and you could get a cuppa and a scone or a meal when 'out and about'.

Places come to mind like The Lhen Cafe, one on the main road at Dalby, Ballanarran Surby (Doreen Faragher), Sartfield Cafe, Gorselands, (is PsM Golf club and the one in Bride village still open ?) there must have been loads more which have just gone by the wayside.

Some seem to have converted into serious 'eating places' and not just somewhere for a snack.

Where do you call for a snack these days, apart from the Sound, Peel prom and the Breakwater ?

this topic just reminds me of all the little cafes which there used to be and you could get a cuppa and a scone or a meal when 'out and about'.

Places come to mind like The Lhen Cafe, one on the main road at Dalby, Ballanarran Surby (Doreen Faragher), Sartfield Cafe, Gorselands, (is PsM Golf club and the one in Bride village still open ?) there must have been loads more which have just gone by the wayside.

Some seem to have converted into serious 'eating places' and not just somewhere for a snack.

Where do you call for a snack these days, apart from the Sound, Peel prom and the Breakwater ?

I used to like Port Soderick but the place is in total disrepair now :(

Archived